Cell phone/MP3 adapter for a Bose headset?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

skybaron
Rank 4
Rank 4

Cell phone/MP3 adapter for a Bose headset?

Post by skybaron »

Can anyone recommend a good cell phone/mp3 adapter for the Bose headset?

It seems that there is a few brands out there, varying in price considerably - so can anyone vouch for a particular product?

thx
---------- ADS -----------

Captain X
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Cell phone/MP3 adapter for a Bose headset?

Post by Captain X »

Do yourself a huge favour sell that Hunk-o-junk and get a Lightspeed Zulu :wink:

skybaron
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by skybaron »

Really.

Know of anyone who might be interested?

LifeJet
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by LifeJet »

This works extremely well for me...

http://www.ps-engineering.com/muse.shtml

"The Muse" is rather expensive on the surface, but when compared to the cost of buying another headset (after spending a grand on the Bose), it is quite reasonable. Sure beats the hell out of wearing earbuds under the headset for hours on end.

Attachments
muse_big.jpg
muse_big.jpg (14.99 KiB) Viewed 1765 times
Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

Captain X wrote:Do yourself a huge favour sell that Hunk-o-junk and get a Lightspeed Zulu :wink:
I like my Bose very much. I've had it for about 5 years, it has taken all kinds of abuse and never broken. It's comfortable, light and works well. Sure, I've had to replace the ear seals and mike muff, but I'd expect that after several thousand hours. They only problem with it is the lack of passive noise canceling. The first time I lost the batteries in flight, I was sure something bad had happened to the airplane. However, I get 40 or so hours on the batteries, and carry spare rechargables.

Never tried the Lightspeed, it may well be better. I certainly wouldn't call the Bose a Hunk-o-junk. I've gotten my money's worth out of it, and I'd buy another one.

skybaron
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by skybaron »

Thanks for the Muse link - might be worth the investment.

mil
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mil »

LifeJet wrote:This works extremely well for me...

http://www.ps-engineering.com/muse.shtml

"The Muse" is rather expensive on the surface, but when compared to the cost of buying another headset (after spending a grand on the Bose), it is quite reasonable. Sure beats the hell out of wearing earbuds under the headset for hours on end.

I agree with L J

skybaron
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Cell phone/MP3 adapter for a headset?

Post by skybaron »

Didn't commit to purchasing any adapter yet, as it hasn't been a top priority - but is still on the radar so to speak.

Anyone try this one from aircraft spruce?

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/a ... dapter.php

Looks like a muse knock-off, and about $200 less...

Optimus Prime
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Optimus Prime »

Maybe I'm old school, but are you guys really talking on cell phones/listening to Justin Bieber MP3's while flying and/or taxing? Sounds a little unprofessional to me.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Everything is turned off in the vicinity of the airport or on the ground. But any flight over an hour and hell yeah I am listening to music (non Justin Bierber though, I'm more of a Myley Cyrus fan. :rolleyes: )

Back in the 'old school' days, you listened to AM stations on the ADF. What's the difference?

Or are you one of those logical, emotionless pilots who wouldn't even do that.

<robot voice> I... AM... A COMMERCIAL PILOT. FUN... OF ANY KIND... IS NOT ALLOWED!!</robot voice>

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Optimus Prime
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Optimus Prime »

There is no difference. To be honest, I listen to hockey games on the ADF during the season. I've had guys pull out cell phones and start texting while taxiing however.....

Why the sarcastic edit?

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Yeah, I don't agree with that.

I set my phone to play music automatically and just mute it on the ground. My pax don't even see me touch my phone nor do they hear the music. I will answer it if I am in cruise flight and by myself or crew only on board, but I rarely get calls or texts when flying.

Edit: Sarcastic mood I guess. I've just seen lots of tight ass pilots who seem to want to take any fun out of flying. Since I see you aren't one of those I am sorry. :oops:

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Optimus Prime
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Optimus Prime »

That's my worry. That a pax is going to see the pilot playing with an ipod or cell phone. Just looks bad you know?

I'd be totally down for a headset with an mp3 adapter that cuts the music when centre's talking.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Optimus Prime wrote:I'd be totally down for a headset with an mp3 adapter that cuts the music when centre's talking.
I've got a lightspeed 33G and it has been great, awesome noise cancelling and it has a built in mp3/cellphone adapter that will auto-mute the music every time you hear a radio call (of course you can turn this feature off if you prefer)

Hawkerflyer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hawkerflyer »

Check this out. Works really well.
http://www.pilotblulink.com/

"Six of us broke formation, five Jerries and I". - George "Buzz" Beurling
Axial Flow
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Axial Flow »

Buy a PC12NG they come with an audio input jack that cuts out during radio chatter or warning dings...only 5 million !

kamdo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kamdo »

I fly approx 1050 to 1200 hours per year.. pic.. and another 150 or so as a observer/spotter.
All in a noisy piston... having a good noise cancelling set is not just handy, its a must.. if you dont want to arrive pooped and deaf LOL
Have tried several headsets over the last 30 years.

By far the best in my opinion is the Zulu Lightspeed.
The sound quality is second to none.. especially for phone or music.
Blue toothing a phone and connecting a Ipod on those long long flights to nowhere is great.

My Bose X headset isn't as durable, has been sent back twice for noise circuit problems.
When the battery quits.. (and there will come a time you dont have a spare lol) the holes in the sidecups make the headset almost worse then nothing at all.
BUT Bose was very quick in repair and even upgraded the cords and battery pack.. less then a week turnaround.

My Dave Clarks.. The first pair I bought were heavy, ear seals leaked with sunglasses and the noise cancelling quit in one side. Waited too long to send back, when I did, I got a note from the avionics shop in Edmonton, that they would be too expensive to repair.. might as well get a new pair?? WTF So, I needed/wanted a second pair.. (Was using Bose and Clark) I read some on here talking about Zulu.. Bought them from Calgary..

Nothing but smiles since.

I wouldnt . your Bose by any means.. but if you are looking for sound, without earplugs under your set.. Uncomfortable and block the radio traffic.. give these Zulu's a try
Find someone who has a pair and take them for a spin.

tzu
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by tzu »

Axial Flow wrote:Buy a PC12NG they come with an audio input jack that cuts out during radio chatter or warning dings...only 5 million !
Phhft. Douche.

skybaron
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by skybaron »

Seems the Zulu support runs deep in this forum.

Either way, I'm sticking with a Bose (not because its better, but because I don't intend to spend another $700 so I could listen to my ipod, and talk on a cell while flying).

Besides, why buy a new headset when ALL I NEED IS AN ADAPTER FOR AN EXISTING HEADSET - HENCE THE TITLE.

skybaron
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by skybaron »

Seems the Zulu support runs deep in this forum.

Either way, I'm sticking with a Bose (not because its better, but because I don't intend to spend another $700 so I could listen to my ipod, and use a cell phone).

Besides, why buy a new headset when ALL I NEED IS AN ADAPTER FOR AN EXISTING HEADSET - HENCE THE TITLE.

Return to “General Comments”