Transitions Lenses - Any good for flight?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

MarkT
Rank 0
Rank 0

Transitions Lenses - Any good for flight?

Post by MarkT »

Hi Everyone,

I'm considering getting Transitions lenses (auto darkening) for a new set of prescription glasses that I plan on wearing when flying club Cessnas.

Has anyone experience with them when flying light aircraft? Since the windshield in most light aircraft do not filter UV, the lenses should darken appropriately, right? Which tint is best for flight, grey or brown?

Cheers,

MarkT
www.abbotsfordflyingclub.ca
---------- ADS -----------

Louis
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Transitions Lenses - Any good for flight?

Post by Louis »

Seems like a few people agreed they were not suitable for flying in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=21345

Apparently they don't react fast enough. Plus you will encounter tinted windshields every now and then...

Typically you'll want a non-polarized, non-photochromic lens.

Plenty of other threads on here discussing this topic. Use the search engine to find them.

Louis

MarkT
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MarkT »

That's a great help. Thanks!

I think I'll stick with regular lenses and clip ons. That's worked for the last 7 years. I just thought the Transitions might be worth consideration if they worked properly in flight.

Cheers,

MarkT

Liquid Charlie
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Liquid Charlie »

I have flown with them for several years now - they don't react in a car or an airplane - they are just very handy when you are walking around - no need to carry sunglasses -- but flying or driving you need sunglasses - unless you have a convertible :mrgreen: - they are UV and temperature activated -- colder it is outside the faster they react when subjected to UV --

Black Air has no Lift - Extra Fuel has no Weight

ACTPA :kriz:
MarkT
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MarkT »

That's funny. I had just assumed that they'd darken in the Cessna cockpit as the windscreen doesn't seem to prevent me you from getting sunburned...

Liquid Charlie
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Liquid Charlie »

or a cessna -- :smt040

Black Air has no Lift - Extra Fuel has no Weight

ACTPA :kriz:
old fart
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by old fart »

I have prescription glasses and fly a Boeing. My optician set me up with a pair of transition lenses that he tinted first. They always have a tint, so can only be worn as sunglasses. In the plane (or in any sunlight) the glasses get darker. I find them excellent at work or driving. I don't think they would be dark enough for me without the base tint in them.

Return to “General Comments”