crossing the georgia straight

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

northguy
Rank 0
Rank 0

crossing the georgia straight

Post by northguy »

flying from CZBB to CYYJ through Terminal airspace do you have to get a VFR code, as well as file a VFR flight plan? or does filing the flight plan cover the code and ground willl just give you a code to squak when you call for taxi.. been reading the CFS and it says get a VFR code OR file a flight plan/itinery.. kinda confused it's my first time doing it..any thoughts? tips?
---------- ADS -----------

Geko
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: crossing the georgia straight

Post by Geko »

I stick with the VRF Flight Plan code I'm given by CYYJ Clearance and only call VFR codes if I'm on a filed flight plan flying into CYYJ or Terminal Airspace. Like on Sunday when I filed a flight plan from CYGB to CYYJ I also called VFR codes because I obviously didn't have a code.

I learned this because I managed to get two codes by doing exactly that. Filling a flight plan and calling VFR codes. :oops:

northguy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by northguy »

ok, been a while since i've filed a VFR flight plan.. they give you a code when you file your flight plan as well?

Geko
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Geko »

I've never been to Boundary Bay so I can't speak for the procedure coming out of there but whenever I file a flight plan out of CYYJ, I file with Kamloops and either Clearance Delivery or Victoria Ground gives me my code. However, I always call VFR codes for the return trip as I rather dislike dealing with some of the FSS guys (just from experience not a generalization).

I've also neglected to get a code on my return trip and had no one call me on it(Vancouver Terminal, Victoria Terminal....). Only reason I can think of for that would be my flight plan including the return trip to CYYJ.

Maybe just ask Boundary Bay tower how they prefer you to do it? As I'm a newbie and could be doing everything wrong. :twisted:

metal
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by metal »

Flying out of YYJ, I file with Kamloops FIC, then Clearance or Ground has a code ready for me when I call them up. A long time ago I think I asked either Kamloops, or YVR Code if I needed to get a code before calling Clearance, and they told me that I didn't, since I already filed a flight plan. Then again, last week after filing, called up Clearance and he asked if I had a code, I said no, and he told me to go call YVR code and call him back after...

Maybe a controller or someone else could clear this up for us noobs :smt040

square
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by square »

I think you only need a preregistered code for departures out of YYJ, the controllers are probably just too busy

cessnafloatflyer
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cessnafloatflyer »

If you file a plan -you'll get the code from C-Delivery. If you don't file call and get one. They won't give you one if you enter their zone without one. Try Nanaimo Radio if you forget and you can get them, otherwise you're SOL.
If you call before 1 hour of departure C-Delivery will give you the code but you still have to call. They are trying to save code from those who called, got a code, but never go.

tnano
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tnano »

If you have a VFR flight plan filed YYJ to somewhere and they make you call, say you've complied with the CFS procedures and ask them to push F8 on their keyboard and type in your reg for a new code.
Terminal and any of the towers except YYJ and YVR will give you a code NP.

Offset
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Offset »

If you depart YYJ or YVR call the YVR code number in advance and they will assign you a transponder code. If you depart any NAVCANADA site ie.(YXX,YPK,YNJ,ZBB,YHC,YBL,YWH) you will be issued a code prior to departure, and this code will take you all the way to your destination (including thru terminal). If you don't depart from a NAVCAN site ie. (YCW, AK3, etc.) you can either call the 1-800-YVR-CODE number before you depart, or get a code from a station you pass along your route of flight.

When you file a flight plan from KA FIC to/from YYJ or YVR sometimes we get an EXCDS strip (ie. XPDR code) and sometimes we don't. When in doubt it never hurts to call the YVR code number, and the worse thing that will happen is that you will be assigned a different code on departure.

Hope this helps.

SAR_YQQ
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by SAR_YQQ »

Just my spin on how we did it. We would file VFR out of Comox to Chilliwack (or where-ever) and pick up the code from Nanaimo once we got to the bottom of Texada.

Coming down the Fraser, when transiting the river we would ask Harbour to give us our code and they would comply.

northguy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by northguy »

that's the info i was looking for guys thanks a lot.

MrWings
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by MrWings »

What about life jackets. Do you guys who do this regularily carry them? Do you legally need to or can one sucessfully island hop to stay within gliding distance?

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

MrWings wrote:What about life jackets. Do you guys who do this regularily carry them? Do you legally need to or can one sucessfully island hop to stay within gliding distance?
You don't legally need them, but they're a good idea. The Mustang horseshoe aviation ones are really good - you won't notice you're wearing it, it takes 5 seconds to put on, and they cost under $100.

You can remain within gliding distance if you climb to about 4500ft (check your POH for gliding distance graphs). However these days with the class C NOTAM popping up regularly, that might not be an option unless you're west of the 2500ft TCA.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

I usually have two dugout canoes strapped to my planes and such don't have to worry about gliding distance. But there is an established best route that is the shortest distance between points of land to make the crossing. Cant remember what the alt was as it's been ages since I've flogged a wheeled single out of ZBB

ScottS
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ScottS »

I believe you can just ask for a code from Kamloops FIC if you are on the phone. The last time I filed a flight plan with Kamloops from Squamish in to Langley, Kamloops offered me up a code just in case I needed to cross in to YVR airspace.

That was my impression anyways.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

The tower can give you a code on departure that will get you in to YYJ. You'll need to call for a departure code 1/2 hour before departure from YYJ (if you spend any time there).

beaverbob
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by beaverbob »

The procedures have changed since this thread started in 2009. Harbour tower and the flight service stations do not give codes as a rule, they can and will on occasion. You call Pacific Radio (listed in the VFR and Float supplements) on the frequency listed for the area you are in and state departure and destination and ask for a VFR code. Hopefully everybody in the province knows this by now.
Bob Bates

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

MrWings wrote:What about life jackets. Do you guys who do this regularily carry them? Do you legally need to or can one sucessfully island hop to stay within gliding distance?
Legal isn't really the question you want to be asking. You do not want to be flying over large bodies of water without wearing an inflatable life jacket. Sure it's legal if you are within gliding distance from land. What happens if ATC holds you down at 2500' though? Are you going to pull over and stop at your local West Marine and buy a couple? Or are you just going to press on? At least if the engine quits you don't have to worry about your ditching technique, in fact you could go ahead and follow the common advice around here to stall in on as it doesn't matter whether you make it out of the plane or not, you're going to drown anyway.

http://www.westmarine.com/recreational- ... --14133755

Get as many as you have seats and wear them anytime you're anywhere near water, as they won't do you any good if you end up in the drink on short final even though legally you don't need them for takeoff and landing. Do not get an inflatable that has automatic inflation. Right after you buy them and every year thereafter manually inflate them, place 10 pounds or so of weight on them and leave them overnight. Should still be tight as a drum in the morning or it's time to repair / replace. I can't believe the number of people out there wearing inflatable life jackets that haven't been tested in 5 years.

Seerat
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Seerat »

Hi Guys, I'm planning a night flight from CZBB-CYYJ.
ROUTE; CZBB-point roberts-east point-stuart island-CYYJ. Now, do i have to clear customs if I'm going through the US and landing in Victoria??

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

You would only need customs if you land IN the US. If you're just going from CZBB-CYYJ with no landings in the US, you don't need to clear customs.

Return to “General Comments”