Knighthawk

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

cjet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Knighthawk

Post by cjet »

Just wondering what's going on at Knighthawk. They are advertising for DFO, CP and line pilots. Does anybody know what working conditions are like.

Thanks

Cjet
---------- ADS -----------

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

It doesn't bode well when a company advertises for everything from pilots to DO's. Sounds like they just finished a house cleaning. Anyone?

Schlem
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Schlem »

yycflyguy wrote:It doesn't bode well when a company advertises for everything from pilots to DO's. Sounds like they just finished a house cleaning. Anyone?
CGAA seems to be doing the same... house cleaning or staff abandonment.

http://www.canadianglobalair.com/cgaa.html

Check under career opportunities.

Disco Stu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Disco Stu »

Big problems there, they are close to losing the Purolator contract from what I hear. They go mechanical every second day and are stuck below FL290 as they are non-RVSM.

A friend there has had 2 engine failures THIS YEAR. Another guy 3 in 7 months.

"The South will boogie again."
Airbrake
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Airbrake »

No cleaning house at all.
The DFO and CP have left to persue bigger and better. They have been employed with KHA for well over 5 years each. Sometimes it is just time to leave. Too bad since they are both excellent people for the postitions they are in. The new companies are getting great additions.

As for looking for pilots. If 2 are leaving it is reasonable that 2 must be replaced. (Possible DFO and CP positions replaced from in house)

As for contracts being lost. There is always that threat. 30 day cancellation is the norm in the cargo world. (Sometimes even as low as 14 day)
The reliability has been sketchy lately for sure. Old aircraft require more TLC than new ones. Hopefully that has turned for the better though.

Working conditions...Just ask anyone who has worked long nights what that is like. Hear their nights have gotten shorter since RVSM though. That cannot be all bad.

RVSM. Yeah they are stuck below FL290. Fortunately the fuel is paid for by the customer. (Doesn't effect the bottom line at all)

Brake

loopy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by loopy »

Yeah, but the customer may not like the fuel bill. Why has everyone been so long getting off the line to get RVSM done? It's not like it's been a state secret ...time for a new topic.

Out of Control
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Out of Control »

Loopy- I have a feeling to update to RVSM is quite expensive. Since we know how owners love to drop cash, I think they will hold out for as long as they can.

Say again, your coming in stupid
stevewilson
Rank 2
Rank 2

Pay?

Post by stevewilson »

Is the pay still low? Last I heard it was 32K for FO and 43K for Capt with a 2 year (!) training bond :roll:

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

Where is their 1900 running these days?

flyincanuck
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by flyincanuck »

YHM-YOW nightly

Some other routes I don't know off hand right now.

linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Knighthawk

Post by linecrew »

The Falcons were not made RVSM compliant due to the cost outweighing the remaining years left in the airframes. I also suspect that with the DHL takeover of Airborne Express, they may be waiting to see what will happen in the next few months on the Purolator contract.

Good luck to the CP and DFO for hitting the 'big' leagues.

Disco Stu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Disco Stu »

From talking to the DHL people, it sounds like there will be a DC-9 going into YWG in the very near future (within a couple of months), which would elimintate the ILN-YWG run that Knighthawk does. There would still be a YWG-YYC and back to connect with the DC-9, but I don't think they would need a jet for that.

"The South will boogie again."
yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Pay?

Post by yycflyguy »

stevewilson wrote:Is the pay still low? Last I heard it was 32K for FO and 43K for Capt with a 2 year (!) training bond :roll:
$37k first year F/O
$48k first year Capt.
2 year pro rated $20k bond
No gauranteed work schedule

Return to “General Comments”