Standing Room Only?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

ScudRunner
Rank 11
Rank 11

Standing Room Only?

Post by ScudRunner »

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/20 ... craft.html

China's Spring looks at standing only seats on aircraft
By Leithen Francis

Privately-owned Chinese low-cost carrier Spring Airlines has spoken to Airbus about adding standing-seats on its Airbus A320s so it can have 40% more passengers on board.

Zhang Wuan, an official at the Shanghai airline who works closely with the CEO, says: "We are planning to have standing seats" and have had "initial discussions with the Airbus side to see if the safety question can be" addressed.

"We want to have it so more people can afford to fly," says Zhang, adding that the carrier estimates it can fit 40% more passengers on board its A320s.

The standing seats will reportedly look like a bar stool and have a safety strap.

Zhang says Spring today has 13 aircraft but is adding two or three more this year.
Don't let Air Transat see this or you will get a A380 Load in a A330
---------- ADS -----------

FlaplessDork
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Standing Room Only?

Post by FlaplessDork »

I think the safety harness will look something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meiuOQHTsNg

SkyWolfe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SkyWolfe »

I am 5'6" and couldn't fit in Air Transat seats.

Trust China to find away to remove safety and add profit.

Topspin
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Topspin »

Surely they won't be able to fly to very many countries like that right?

Aren't the regs reasonablly standardized on the number of rear ends in between exits?

Carrier
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Carrier »

They have jumped ahead of Ryanair's Michael O'Dreary for stinginess! He must be mad with himself for missing such a trick.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

HA!

I remember, when working for Kelowna Flightcraft years ago, they wanted to add an extra row of seats on the Convair 580 for their fishing charters. The plane was approved for the number of seats, but we couldn't just slightly change the pitch of each row or else they would block the emergency exits. So we had to leave all the seats at and in front of the rearmost exits where they were, and change the pitch of about four or five rows of seats to get that last row in. When we were done, I could not force myself to sit down in any of the rear seats as my knees were digging into the seat in front of me.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

What kind of floor loading does that involve ?
I did not think the modern people moving aircraft would have that kind of floor load capability.Might require some serious mods to have an increased floor loading.Anyone seen any numbers crunched on this yet ?

who me ?
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by who me ? »

I am going to guess that they will exceed the number of people that can get out of the emergency exits , in the perscribed time ?? :cry:

HS-74
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by HS-74 »

All good points but we are missing the obvious...

Adding 40% more people add 40% more baggage...

Last time I checked, bags get bumped esily on "sitting room only" flights - imagine the number of bags/cargo that will get bumped if this goes through?

Dagwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Dagwood »

Pilots will no longer be glorified bus drivers, but glorified cattle truck drivers :shock:

Airbrake
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Airbrake »

This is one of the worst ideas I have ever heard of.

http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2009/0 ... nding.html

Can you stand flying on a stool? Ryanair may charge you less
Last Updated: Monday, July 6, 2009 | 1:36 PM ET Comments1Recommend1
CBC News

Budget airline Ryanair is considering charging passengers less if they agree to sit on bar stools instead of regular seats, a British newspaper reported Monday.

The move could allow the Dublin-based airline to carry up to 50 per cent more passengers while cutting costs by 20 per cent, the Sun newspaper said.

The proposal comes four months after Michael O'Leary, Ryanair's chief executive, said he might charge passengers £1, or about $1.80, to use bathrooms on his aircraft. The idea was quickly dismissed by a Ryanair company spokesman.

O'Leary has already discussed plans with Boeing about having space on planes where people could use bar stools.

Before those reconfigured planes could be ordered, Ryanair will have to get approval from the Irish Aviation Authority, the Sun reported.

"If they approve it, we'll be doing it," O'Leary said.

If the plan goes ahead, passengers using the stools will still have seat belts, the report said.

Known for its efforts to cut the cost of flying, the airline said Monday in a press release that its passenger traffic rose 13 per cent in June to 5.8 million.

b1ngnx33
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by b1ngnx33 »

I can't find a good link anywhere, sorry.

Backstory : Japan has these really small, tiny living spaces, I call them coffins.

They have tiny tv's, radio, and enough room to lie down in. No standing room at all.

It literally is a coffin, but for the living.

For the Plane industry : Instead of standing/sitting room, make a coffin plane.

Put people in living coffins, stack them up like boxes. Load them into the plane.

You could probably double, or even triple the amount of people you could put on a plane.

Of course, this would never work in North America. But maybe in Japan, where some

people have actually lived like this.

Return to “General Comments”