Ursus 207, June 2009

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

bluesky1
Rank 1
Rank 1

ursus 207``

Post by bluesky1 »

WHAT HAPPEND ANY NEWS ON IT CURIOUS WAS IT LACK OF GAS GO GO JUICE PETROL!
---------- ADS -----------

Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Ursus 207, June 2009

Post by Widow »

User Name: Ridley, Rod
Date: 2009/07/20
Further Action Required: No
O.P.I.: System Safety
Narrative: UPDATE TSB reported that this was a Class 5 investigation.
Class 5. We may never know.

Former Advocate for Floatplane Safety
arctic navigator
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: ursus 207``

Post by arctic navigator »

bluesky1 wrote:WHAT HAPPEND ANY NEWS ON IT CURIOUS WAS IT LACK OF GAS GO GO JUICE PETROL!
Not likely. Having launched out of Norman Wells with only 2 passengers he would have been full. The only way he could have lost that much fuel would be if a cap on both tanks was open, and in that case he would have been dry a lot sooner.

JL
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by JL »

...or you could pick up the phone and actually call the TSB. Has anybody tried that?

Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Widow »

Not likely to get much that way. You'd have to go Access to Information.

But a Class 5 investigation means, "for information purposes", not for determining cause or contributing factors.

MDT
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MDT »

But you would still have access to the factual information.

Indanao
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: plane crash near Colville Lake

Post by Indanao »

chancellor wrote:"So you are telling me that its my dead friends fault that he is dead as opposed to the scum bag operator that
employed them??"

From what I heard at the time the weather was absolutely disgusting. I was almost caught in the same area at the same time 8-9 years earlier enroute from Fort Good Hope to the Wells. Took off started picking up ice couldn't get away from it couldn't see a mile in front of me and that was 30 or so miles before even getting into the triangle around I think it is moon lake where the weather is always worse. I turned around landed called Blair he called a few places before I new it the cars station manager was picking me up and taking me to the hotel. On another occasion I was forced the long way around from Colville lake via the river passengers ended up almost missing the jet south. They complained to Blair, his words were the weather was poor so too bad. As opposed to the scumbag operator as you termed them I am pretty sure that he didn't your friends door down to hire them. That by the way was the first fatal and thay have had a few accidents the recent engine fail and one pilot ran out of gas. The boys next door have had a few aswell as have places down in Yk. Flying in that environment as busy as you get there are going to be mistakes. So don't go spouting off based on secondhand info that you recieve, usually the first place people look for jobs is at Northwright which has several flights in and out. Maybe your friends just weren't able to cut it in the north.

Just a few thougts....
What does Northwright Air have to do with Ursus Air? No connection there at all. :?

chesty
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by chesty »

was the "scum bag" operator behind the controlls? was he the P.I.C.?

crankedup
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by crankedup »

This is the first time I recall any mention of the outfit Martin Hartwell started up so long ago. Whatever became of him. When I flew RDD for Nahanni I used to see him often. Long time ago but curious anyway.

Jim McAvoy used to have some very colorful names for him. Made me laugh.

chancellor
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by chancellor »

Hate to help ressurect a dead post but Indanao I was't inferring that Northwright had anything to do with Ursus. I was commenting that the gentlemans friend had plenty of options to leave Ursus if it was so bad ie the skeds that Northwright operates everyday in and out of Fort Norman.

Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Widow »

crankedup wrote:This is the first time I recall any mention of the outfit Martin Hartwell started up so long ago. Whatever became of him. When I flew RDD for Nahanni I used to see him often. Long time ago but curious anyway
Some info here: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=48241

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

Cessna 207 = Cessna Crowd Killer.

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
C-FABH
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by C-FABH »

Another one bites the dust...

A10W0002: The Ursus Aviation Cessna 172M, C-GEBK, was on initial climb from runway 24 at Tulita, NT, (CFZN) when the engine (Lycoming O-360-A4M) quit, with the propeller windmilling. Attempts to restart failed and a forced landing was conducted about 600 feet into the runway 24 over-run in about 2 feet of snow. The aircraft sustained substantial damage to the nose gear, and the pilot, who was the only occupant, was uninjured.

Return to “General Comments”