ur thought

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

stopsquawk
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: ur thought

Post by stopsquawk »

Don't dismiss the value of the FO job on the turbine. A lot of operators will look for 2 crew experience. If all you have is single pilot experience, you'll have a problem getting that dream jet job. After the piston PIC job, you'll still probably be looking for a 704 type turbine job to advance, and you'll probably start off in the right seat in whatever company you go to, so why not take the right seat turbine job? Provided that the advancement to the left seat would happen within a year or two, in my opinion you'd be better off. There is a lot to be gained working as an FO on a bigger aircraft.
---------- ADS -----------

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

True, but your going to have a harder time upgradeing in the 704 world without PIC time, especially in slower times. It's easier to get a right seat job with PIC time, then an upgrade without PIC time.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
Four1oh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Four1oh »

stopsquawk wrote:There is a lot to be gained working as an FO on a bigger aircraft.
Yep, right until your chance for an upgrade comes along, and the boss upgrades the guy with the multi-piston PIC. Have fun with that. I've seen this scenario over and over. The boss doesn't care what you got your multi pic on nearly as much as not having any at all. Get the left seat time, you'll advance faster and you'll be a better pilot for it... regardless of whether it's 2 crew or not.

Drinking outside the box.
FastFlyBy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FastFlyBy »

flying4dollars wrote:
sky's the limit wrote:
flying4dollars wrote:

Chase lifestyle first. Let money, location, equipment etc come next

Not necessarily commenting on you specifically 4dollars, but therein lies the rub in our industry. When I started, it was do anything to get the experience required to get you where you want to be, and I did the same in rotary where it's a much more skills based industry. You go where the tough work is, learn your craft, and gain experience.

Chase the experience, learn the work ethic, and the rest will come in time. Nothing burns me more than hearing a bunch of kids in flight school or low-timers on their first job or two talk about "schedule and life-style." Those are earned in this industry.

stl

Hey, actually, I agree with you and you're right. When you're first building time and experience, take what you can get, earn and learn your time. Get your hands dirty and build work ethic and character.

I was more referring to someone who already has time and experience where he/she is in a position to be able to start focusing on lifestyle. But otherwise, starting out, I agree with you stl
A few years ago I attended an aviation career fair in Richmond. I'm not sure if they're still doing those but I doubt it. Anyway, they had a number of speakers, experienced airline pilots ect and one thing that a number of people advised to aspiring career pilots was that they should chase the lifestyle that they desire and not a particular aircraft. What they neglected to mention was that a new pilot starting their career needs to go where the flying is and that focusing on lifestyle is a decision to be made later on in a career. I made the mistake of not realising that and it set me back, wrong mentality as stated above. If I was smarter maybe I'd have realised it sooner.

Marriage: So far so good. 1 year down, 25-life to go.

Return to “General Comments”