Ursus crash

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

godsrcrazy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Ursus crash

Post by godsrcrazy »

Pilot safe after Tulita crash landing

Jan.7, 2010 - A relatively happy ending to what could have been a serious aviation accident.

A pilot with Ursus Aviation glided a Cessna 172 to a safe landing in Tulita on Tuesday after the engine stopped immediately following take-off.

Corporal Kevin Charles says when the RCMP arrived at the runway, the pilot was ok but the plane suffered some damage.

"It was in a snow bank; the front landing assembly had snapped off and was located in the snow a few yards behind the plane. Other than that, the plane appeared to be not too bad. It was in some fairly deep snow but it hadn’t tipped over, flipped, or no broken wings, nothing like that."

The pilot was taken to the health centre as a precaution.

Cpl. Charles says they don't know what happened to the Cessna's engine but RCMP have ruled out any criminal offence in their initial investigation.

They've turned the case over to the Transportation Safety Board.
---------- ADS -----------

Rubberbiscuit
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Ursus crash

Post by Rubberbiscuit »

Nice to hear about a happier ending for a change. Sounds like a job well done.

"Nearly all safety regulations are based upon lessons which have been paid for in blood by those who attempted what you are contemplating" Tony Kern
Indanao
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Indanao »

Rubberbiscuit wrote:Nice to hear about a happier ending for a change. Sounds like a job well done.
Not by the AME ( read Owner ) . Second one down with engine failure in the past year. :|

oldncold
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by oldncold »

Are the cessna 172 engines only certified to -23c? and one thinks that the 207 is similar . yesterday the temp in that part of the world did not get above -30.

this is why the other operators have turbine not because it more economical,it is very expensive for short hops 45 stat czfn -cyvq as an example. but to ensure all the profit made by the piston a/c in the summer( may 1/ to sept 15th) is not wasted on engine changes due to running piston a/c in -30-40c wx. now this is not to say it cannot be done but it has to to be done with alot more awareness of the related problems and a strong set of procedures that both mgt and flt crew abide by.

safe flying 8) 2010

kevinsky18
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kevinsky18 »

oldncold wrote:Are the cessna 172 engines only certified to -23c?
Please post source. I've never heard of such a specification. I'm betting a beer and a pretzel that you pulled that out of the air.

oldncold
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by oldncold »

a beer n a pretzel eh well I did not pull it out of a hat but it has been soo long since I flew a 172 that this is why I phased it as a ? vs 100fact. in some of the older poh there is a recommended cold temp chart ie for cold wx ops etc so this is where I got it however I am not sure if it is a recommendation or a limitation hence the ?

chancellor
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by chancellor »

Wow -23 might as well go home in November and come back in March. I flew one of them up there at -53 in Ross River coming back to Tulita. We had good winter fronts and I think we through 15w50 in the engine and she ran good. Of course you had to be exceptionally careful with the warm ups and cool downs in descent but we never had any issues with it. Only problem I remember was the oversized tires on the 207 we had a couple flats when the tires turned on the rim due to frozen brakes. This one may be maintenance if the owner is out of town a bit more over Christmas we did have a 172 once that was a couple hundred over on an oil change/50 hour. When I found this out I ended up doing the oil change and plug change myself before I could even think about flying it. Before you start lighting me up for this it was the way it was done at the time, not proud of it but it happened during a very busy summer.

Indanao
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Indanao »

oldncold wrote:Are the cessna 172 engines only certified to -23c? and one thinks that the 207 is similar . yesterday the temp in that part of the world did not get above -30.

this is why the other operators have turbine not because it more economical,it is very expensive for short hops 45 stat czfn -cyvq as an example. but to ensure all the profit made by the piston a/c in the summer( may 1/ to sept 15th) is not wasted on engine changes due to running piston a/c in -30-40c wx. now this is not to say it cannot be done but it has to to be done with alot more awareness of the related problems and a strong set of procedures that both mgt and flt crew abide by.

safe flying 8) 2010
Last one was June 2009.

Return to “General Comments”