Winnipeg Gliding Club Open House - Feb. 18, 2010

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

kenair
Rank 1
Rank 1

Winnipeg Gliding Club Open House - Feb. 18, 2010

Post by kenair »

Winnipeg Gliding Club Open House - gliding is a affordable way to fly!
Feb 18, 7pm, 341 Wilton, see poster for details, draw for free glider flight. see attached poster for details!

The view from the bubble canopy is spectacular, the thermalling is challenging!

The pilot mix at the gliding club ranges from ex104 pilot, ATPL, CPL. PPL, R/C, and sprogs.

http://www.wgc.mb.ca/
WGC open house 2010 800 jpg.jpg
WGC open house 2010 800 jpg.jpg (136 KiB) Viewed 1263 times
---------- ADS -----------

Dust Devil
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Winnipeg Gliding Club Open House - Feb. 18, 2010

Post by Dust Devil »

What is the general cost of going up for a flight in a glider with an instructor?

//=S=//

A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed
kenair
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Winnipeg Gliding Club Open House - Feb. 18, 2010

Post by kenair »

At the WGC a discovery flight will cost $80.00 which is towed to 3000'agl and the flight will last 45 to 60 minutes depending on thermal condtions.

For WGC students the instruction is free, you pay per tow, $35.00 to 2000'agl and $44.00 to 3000'agl.
Sprogs usually get their glider license over one or two summers, most take two.
PPL's and above need a minimum 20 flights to license as a glider pilot.

Rates are shown at http://www.wgc.mb.ca/index.php?option=c ... &Itemid=31

This video was shot last July by a guest on a discovery flight http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3Y_jWHPuJE

cheers - ken

old crow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Saunders Aircraft ST27

Post by old crow »

Sir: I was employed with Saunders Aircraft through Weltrade International, a contracting firm from England, to work on the prototype of the ST27, in 1973. (possibly 1972, memory starting to go). The person I worked under was BRIAN BELLIS, from England. The plant superintendent to the best of my recollection was a Mr. KERSEY (sp). I worked with Weltrade for approximately 8 months at Gimli, During that time, if memory serves, there were several revisions that kept coming out for the ST27, The project was not going very well. There were a few of us that were very frustrated over the changes and modifications that kept coming up, a few of us left. From what I understand, shortly after I left they removed the fixtures from the wings and the wings sort of folded. Main spare through the fuselage gave out. Not sure how much truth is in that, could be just rumour. However, I have several photos of the plant, the shell of the plane sitting on fixtures and Jigs, employees working, If your interested I will try to dig them up and forward them to you.
I just happened to come across the website and blog and thought Id put in my 2 bits worth. Ken J. Bird

old crow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by old crow »

Sir: I was employed with Saunders Aircraft through Weltrade International, a contracting firm from England, to work on the prototype of the ST27, in 1973. (possibly 1972, memory starting to go). The person I worked under was BRIAN BELLIS, from England. The plant superintendent to the best of my recollection was a Mr. KERSEY (sp). I worked with Weltrade for approximately 8 months at Gimli, During that time, if memory serves, there were several revisions that kept coming out for the ST27, The project was not going very well. There were a few of us that were very frustrated over the changes and modifications that kept coming up, a few of us left. From what I understand, shortly after I left they removed the fixtures from the wings and the wings sort of folded. Main spare through the fuselage gave out. Not sure how much truth is in that, could be just rumour. However, I have several photos of the plant, the shell of the plane sitting on fixtures and Jigs, employees working, If your interested I will try to dig them up and forward them to you.
I just happened to come across the website and blog and thought Id put in my 2 bits worth. Ken J. Bird

kenair
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kenair »

old crow wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:25 am Sir: I was employed with Saunders Aircraft through Weltrade International, a contracting firm from England, to work on the prototype of the ST27, in 1973. (possibly 1972, memory starting to go). The person I worked under was BRIAN BELLIS, from England. The plant superintendent to the best of my recollection was a Mr. KERSEY (sp). I worked with Weltrade for approximately 8 months at Gimli, During that time, if memory serves, there were several revisions that kept coming out for the ST27, The project was not going very well. There were a few of us that were very frustrated over the changes and modifications that kept coming up, a few of us left. From what I understand, shortly after I left they removed the fixtures from the wings and the wings sort of folded. Main spare through the fuselage gave out. Not sure how much truth is in that, could be just rumour. However, I have several photos of the plant, the shell of the plane sitting on fixtures and Jigs, employees working, If your interested I will try to dig them up and forward them to you.
Hi, I'm not sure how this Saunders thread got in with the Gliding club open house, I would love to see your photos, please reach me at kenkalynuk@gmail.com

thank-you - ken kalynuk

Return to “General Comments”