Another pilot gone too soon

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Re: Another pilot gone too soon

Post by . ._ »

Normally, I'm pretty easy on young kids being stupid kids. But when I was 19 I was never THAT stupid.

I think we have a recidivist on our hands. Let's save some cash and go with Nark's idea. If grimey gets banned. I have the pic on my hard drive now... just so ya know.

My condolences.

-istp :|
---------- ADS -----------

chancellor
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by chancellor »

F'n bogs. RIP Julien! Stand up guy!

grover
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by grover »

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Simon was the best coworker you could ask for. The best kind of friend you could be lucky enough to stumble upon. I'm not speaking for all of us,but i know that we all feel the same. we're all grieving. There's really not more I can say. except Thanks.

Last edited by grover on Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"i'd eat dirt over anti-bacterial soap anyday..."
"sometimes one should just look at things and think about things without doing things" - Calvin
Highflyinpilot
Rank 8
Rank 8
Location: Holy Hell, is that what you look like in the morning

Post by Highflyinpilot »

My condolences to friends and family of Simon Julien.

//unrelated items edited by Sulako

Sulako
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Sulako »

I have removed a half-dozen posts and edited several others. Posting condolences is relevant in this thread - revenge plans against the perps are not appropriate for this particular thread. Please keep in mind that the young pilot's family might be reading this. We are united in mourning a loss, and remembering a good young man.

termerair
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by termerair »

I think I met Simon a few weeks ago on the ramp at the Esso in Winnipeg. Was he on the King Air and french speaking...? Very sad news anyway especially in those circumstances...

T.

smnoi
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by smnoi »

No wrong Simon, he used to be on the King Air but he was now on the Navajo in Thompson

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=4 ... 413&ref=mf

V1CUT
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by V1CUT »

January 24, 2010

Honouring a friend

Scholarship fund to aid aspiring pilots

By Jason Halstead, WINNIPEG SUN

Simon Julien was working as a pilot for Missinippi Airways in Thompson. He was killed in a road collision near the city last Thursday. Friends have begun a scholarship fund in his name. (FACEBOOK.COM) A scholarship fund has been set up in honour of a young man killed in a fatal collision in northern Manitoba.

Simon Julien, 24, was killed when his 2007 Honda Civic collided head-on with a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee on Provincial Road 391 about two kilometres north of Thompson last Thursday.

RCMP have laid impaired driving and other charges against occupants of the Jeep that slammed into Julien’s car.

Charged

The alleged driver of the Jeep, 19-year-old Tyson David Tyler Brightnose of Thompson, is charged with impaired driving causing death, impaired driving causing bodily harm, driving over .08 causing death, driving over .08 causing bodily harm, and two counts each of breach of probation and breach of recognizance.

He is also charged with public mischief for allegedly attempting to mislead investigators, police said.

A 16-year-old boy, who RCMP said was a passenger in the Jeep, is also charged with public mischief. The youth gave investigators false information about who was driving at the time of the crash, RCMP said.

Julien was working as a pilot with Missinippi Airways in Thompson.

Rene Sanche, a friend of Julien who is a pilot with Calm Air International in Thompson, is setting up the Simon Julien Memorial Scholarship in honour of the crash victim.

“Simon made and left a huge impression on anyone he came into contact with,” Sanche said in an e-mail.

Sanche said the fund will raise money to help aspiring pilots reach their goals.

Donations can be made to the scholarship fund at any Assiniboine Credit Union branch in Winnipeg or Thompson to the Simon Julien Fund. For more information about the fund, Sanche can be contacted at rsanche@polarsuites.ca.

jason.halstead@sunmedia.ca

etkuo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by etkuo »

sorry for pushing this thread back up again...
shitdisturber wrote:
TopperHarley wrote:That's terrible news. I can't believe that all the drunk idiots were not injured, and it's the innocent guy who gets killed. Really sad :evil:
Sadly that's invarariably what happens. The drunken idiots walk away; only one of whom will spend a ridiculously small amount of time in jail, and the innocent bystander pays with his life.
can't agree to this more. and this just doesn't affect the innocent bystander, but along with his families and friends. this gentleman is my very first instructor's bf. i just discovered about this news today and i was reading the facebook group, and it made me feel so sad.

and no offence, i am also at 19, and i never thought about drink and driving.

this is such a tragic news... may the Lord bless SJ and all his friends and families

looproll
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by looproll »

So sad to hear. Especially the circumstances surrounding his death. It's no wonder that people have vengeful feelings towards the monsters that killed him.

x15
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by x15 »

Tyson Brightnose has pled guilty and will appear in court in Thompson Manitoba on March 7, 2011 at 10am to receive his sentence.

Simons parents will be flying in for the proceedings. If you knew Simon and are able to attend tomorrow I am sure his parents would appreciate the moral support.

Lets hope that the justice system delivers a heavy handed judgement that discourages this from ever happening again.

x15
Skin, Tin, Ticket...In that order.
grimey
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by grimey »

4 1/2 years.

no sig because apparently quoting people in context is offensive to them.
RatherBeFlying
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RatherBeFlying »

4 1/2 years less parole puts the perp back on the street in 3 years.

If you want to kill somebody, do it with a car and have a few drinks after.

Compare to Robert Latimer who got 10 years before full parole for sparing his daughter a life of incessant pain.

grimey
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by grimey »

2nd degree murder has minimum sentencing guidelines. Once they convicted Latimer of 2nd degree murder (it wasn't, it was 1st, technically he should have gotten 25), they had no choice but to sentence him to at least 10 before parole. Unfortunately, being a caring father who knows what he is doing will get you charged with a more serious crime than being a drunken idiot who just didn't care.

no sig because apparently quoting people in context is offensive to them.
cyeg66
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by cyeg66 »

Re: Lattimer's case, I remember the courts citing they 'had' to sentence him to at least the minimum time because if they were to show any latitude in this instance, there would be a spate of killings of the same kind. Gimme a break.

So instead, showing far worse judgment and so little regard for human life gets you 4 1/2 years. How can our courts system continue to operate this way? The foolish, irresponsible, or just plain stupid must be punished. Brightnose. I could say something but will abstain.

Turn right/left heading XXX, vectors for the hell of it.
Northern Flyer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Northern Flyer »

What a bullshit sentence. This is a sad day, what ever happened to an eye for an eye.............

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

Northern Flyer wrote:What a bullshit sentence. This is a sad day, what ever happened to an eye for an eye.............
Makes me think of a certain book by George Orwell. Justice is not equal for all. It just keeps happening....because WE allow it.

shitdisturber
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by shitdisturber »

RatherBeFlying wrote:4 1/2 years less parole puts the perp back on the street in 3 years.

If you want to kill somebody, do it with a car and have a few drinks after.

Compare to Robert Latimer who got 10 years before full parole for sparing his daughter a life of incessant pain.
It's worse than you think. Parole is automatic in a case like this after two thirds of the sentence is completed no matter how he behaves. With good behaviour he'll most likely serve no more than two years. Even worse, with the stupid system of pre trial confinement counting double towards a sentence; I'd be frankly shocked if he did more than a year, and not at all surprised if he was already free.

ogc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ogc »

shitdisturber wrote:
It's worse than you think. Parole is automatic in a case like this after two thirds of the sentence is completed no matter how he behaves. With good behaviour he'll most likely serve no more than two years. Even worse, with the stupid system of pre trial confinement counting double towards a sentence; I'd be frankly shocked if he did more than a year, and not at all surprised if he was already free.
Well if hes been in custody for the last year, it will count as double time served towards his sentence, so it would mean he has served "2" years already.

Same thing happened to a good friend of mine, he was killed by a drunk driver 4 years ago, the girl who did it served less than 2 years.

Bullshit.

shitdisturber
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by shitdisturber »

ogc wrote:
shitdisturber wrote:
Well if hes been in custody for the last year, it will count as double time served towards his sentence, so it would mean he has served "2" years already.

Same thing happened to a good friend of mine, he was killed by a drunk driver 4 years ago, the girl who did it served less than 2 years.

Bullshit.
That's my point exactly, he may already be free because "he's served his sentence." By the way, "bullshit" doesn't begin to cover it!

Return to “General Comments”