Looking for info on old crash site.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

RuudLeeuw
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Looking for info on old crash site.

Post by RuudLeeuw »

Hi all,
For that C-47 crash, which caught up in this thread, see also
http://www.richardmosse.com/photography ... =1&photo=8
(You can also get there by www.richardmosse.com select Photography select The Fall and flick thru the pics by the signs < > left and right of the pics.
There is also a pic of the C-47 at Beaver Creek (Yukon) which I think is the same as the one on my
Abandoned Wrecks of The North http://www.ruudleeuw.com/search116.htm
Same goes for Miss Piggy, the C-46 at Churchill....
Ruud
---------- ADS -----------

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

Highflyinpilot wrote:Wheres the rest of it? or is that all thats left?

If that is all that is left why would they take evrything and leave the prop? You should take that home, that would be a cool conversation starter.
Old aeroplane parts are kind of cool to have around, although most wives don't think so. However I've always felt it's wrong to take parts from a wreck where people have died. I know this is a contentious issue these days especially where historic shipwrecks are concerned. A museum is one thing, but your living room is quite another.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
AEROMONKEY
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by AEROMONKEY »

Hey thanks all for the tips...today was a good day! i spoke with the only survivor from the crash...87 years old! Great stories to tell! if you get a chance read up on him...he's written a book about when he was shot down over germany and held as a pow for over a year, his crash and survival in a b-47 stratojet and his time in the Korean and vietnam wars! the book is called "Journey to Freedom" by col. robert slane. I plan on making a trip into the crash site in tthe late spring when the bush dries up and will post pics of what i find...thanks again!

CGZMT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CGZMT »

Hey aeromonkey that looks close to home. Just head up the Black sturgeon till prob mile 60-70 something then hang a right. Looks like you could probably drive very close to it!

The more you know the more trouble you can get in!
Highflyinpilot
Rank 8
Rank 8
Location: Holy Hell, is that what you look like in the morning

Post by Highflyinpilot »

[quote="Meatservo"][quote="Highflyinpilot"]Wheres the rest of it? or is that all thats left?

If that is all that is left why would they take evrything and leave the prop? You should take that home, that would be a cool conversation starter.[/quote]

Old aeroplane parts are kind of cool to have around, although most wives don't think so. However I've always felt it's wrong to take parts from a wreck where people have died. I know this is a contentious issue these days especially where historic shipwrecks are concerned. A museum is one thing, but your living room is quite another.[/quote]

It's a Very Valid point meatservo.

BD8
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BD8 »

Bear319 wrote:This is not the one you are looking for either, but is a conversation starter. I hve spent hours up there looking around at all the parts laying around. RIP boys

My dad was supposed to be on that flight. Was on leave in Van and heading back to Rockcliffe. Had a bout with sinus infection and the medical officer wouldn't let him fly. He took the train back.

DSP65
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by DSP65 »

Does anyone have photos, articles or location details of this crash that occurred Nov. 30, 1956, near Thunder Bay? My uncle 1st Lt. Donald Scott Petty was the navigator on this flight Col. Slane survived. I'm just seeking any details that may be documented, memorials near the site or nearby city. Thanks, Scott

tractor driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tractor driver »

2 of the jet engines are @ Lakehead Aviation in Thunder Bay, salvaged a long time ago. The salvager should remember where the crash site is, near an old loggin camp by Beardmore Ontario, on the East side of Lake Nipigon.

AEROBAT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by AEROBAT »

fel wrote:If you use your imagination and kinda look to one side, you can still see the stars and bars of the US army air corp insignia on this wing section.
That looks like the crash site by Whitecourt. If I am not mistaken that has been re-discovered about 3 times now. :wink:

naden
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by naden »

I know this thread is really old but I was curious if anyone ever found this crash site. I know where seagull lake is and as measured on google earth it is 19 miles from Ray lake so I would assume this is the location of the site. I had heard a story from people who hunted in the area of a tail of a plane sticking out of the swamp on the north side of seagull lake. I had a quick look in this swamp from the lake when I was there fishing but didnt see anything.

Bloodshot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bloodshot »

I know it has been along time since you posted this buti just read it, I have been to this crash site if you still wish more info contact me. Cheers.

westcoastwonder
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by westcoastwonder »

Anyone have any information on this unfound crash. There is a group "Operation Mike" still looking for it. I am in the area and flew out to their best estimate of where it is but no luck.

On 26 January 1950, the Douglas C-54 Skymaster serial number 42-72469 disappeared en route from Alaska to Montana, with 44 people aboard.[1][2] The aircraft made its last radio contact two hours into its eight hour flight; despite one of the largest rescue efforts carried out by the US military, no trace of the aircraft has ever been found.[2] It is considered one of the largest groups of American military personnel to ever go missing.[3]

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Bear that sign looks familiar . Is that the one near Blairmore? I was up there on my mountain bike last summer. I didn't make the detour to the the wreck but I'd like to.

CD it's always interesting to hear stories about nuclear weapons in Canada. I recently met a retired USAF pilot who claimed to have personally delivered air to ground nuclear weapons to a fighter base in Canada where they were stored for use by us against Russia. We had the nukes but the Americans had the keys to arm them or something like that. Pretty sure our government has denied it all along...

Don't mean to derail. Monkey I'd love to see those pictures when you make the sojourn. Good luck.

bsl59
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by bsl59 »

Bloodshot wrote:I know it has been along time since you posted this buti just read it, I have been to this crash site if you still wish more info contact me. Cheers.
I have just recently found out about this crash and fish and hunt in the Seagull Lake area. Bloodshot, if you could provide me with the co-ordinates of the crash site I would like to visit it and perhaps erect some sort of marker memorializing the event.

facingnorth
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by facingnorth »

Bloodshot wrote:I know it has been along time since you posted this buti just read it, I have been to this crash site if you still wish more info contact me. Cheers.
I know this is quite old now and chances are this account isn't checked but on a longshot I'm also curious if you have tips on getting to this spot. I hike through this area and have been to a few crash sites throughout Canada but just heard about this one. Thanks again!

facingnorth
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by facingnorth »

Also for interest's sake here's the original news article: https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=c ... 8948&hl=en

This was the crash area:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.0183617, ... !1e3?hl=en

And a recent article in Northern Wilds on the subject: https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.0183617, ... !1e3?hl=en

expilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by expilot »

Re: Crash site of US bomber 1956.
I was a teenager in Dorion at the time and remember the story. I remember seeing the remnants of a machine gun that was salvaged by a local man. At this late date only his daughter still survives him. Seagull Lake is located off the Anders Lake road near Dorion.

Xorbex
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Xorbex »

I really doubt this post will grab your attention as its 10yrs old. I visited this crash site today and it is exactly as you say. The wreck is spread out over at least 500m and no parts bigger than roughly 4'x4' with most pieces smaller than a basketball. Most of it has been swallowed by the swamp it crashed in. I stumbled upon your post trying to follow Robert Slanes story.

Richard Martin
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Richard Martin »

My father died in a plane crash there in November of 1956. Richard Martin, and I am Richard Martin Jr. Some Canadians sent pieces of the plane to me as a memento. I live in California.

Bandit400
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bandit400 »

Hi Richard
My friend and I have been to the crash site and documented it. We erected a memorial plaque to honor the airmen who died at the site that fateful day. The videos can be found on YouTube, my friends channel’s name is Outdoor Rob. Here’s a link to the videos https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-5i ... usH6gxg2Kj.
Regards
Chris

Return to “General Comments”