ADHD

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

shinysuitman
Rank 0
Rank 0

ADHD

Post by shinysuitman »

I'm 17 and looking to begin flight training later this year.. I have ADHD and I take meds on schooldays. I can do fine without them though.Can I still get my TC Class 1 Medical?
---------- ADS -----------

200hr Wonder
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: ADHD

Post by 200hr Wonder »

Go get your medical before you even start if think this is going to be an issue. Costs about $150 for the first one and well worth it. Of course when you call to make your appointment ask specifically about the meds. Now I don't know a lot about ADHD or the meds but many times there are options, IE you can't take med X but if you take med Y you are good to go. Really the only person to ask is your CAME.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/aviation/applicatio ... p?x_lang=e

Has a list you can search for one near you. A medical is about $100 (much more than that call another dr!) and you will need an ECG and a hearing test for the first one about another $50. Better to spend $150 now then find out right around solo time after $3000 that you can't get a Cat 1.

Cheers,

200hr Wonder
Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

ADHD is becoming quite common. Look up a TC Doctor in your area and have a chat. You don't need a medical, just ask the same question. He'll tell you right up front. Much depends on which meds you're on. Dexedrine, etc. There is a raft of medication out there. Some may be approved, some sure are not. Pretty sure Dexedrine would not be, though.
For those of you who don't know much about ADHD, it's most commonly the inability to stay on task. These folks are easily distracted. This person cannot complete a task unless it's due "yesterday" ie, critical. Ability to focus forever on something that's a hobby, games etc. At the same time, they have difficulty remembering things that require actions, like phone numbers....poor executive function. Often very highly intelligent. The meds help them focus, and concentrate without being distracted.
Get back to us on this. I'd be really interested to know what your Doc has to say.
I know several ADHD pilots.....undiagnosed of course. But they have it.
These pilots don't realize the difference proper meds would make in their lives.
Best of luck

kevinsky18
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kevinsky18 »

I think in your situation you might be able to get some free advice from the doctor. You'll want to locate a list of Aviation Approved medical doctors in your area.

Call and book an appointment for a regular check up not an aviation medical. When you go in just tell the doctor you are thinking about a career in aviation and you want to know if your ADHD meds will affect getting an aviation medical in the future. The doctor won't have a problem answering that question as he gets paid for the regular medical. If he says it won't be a problem then great, you can rebook for a full aviation medical another day.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Hunh? What were we talking about?

human garbage
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by human garbage »

Doc has some good advice. Give your local TC office a call and check prior to spending money on a medical though. Do not spend money on the medical first, unless you can afford to waste the cash. Chances aren't good in my experience.

I spoke to the Chief of the department in the Pacific region years ago when I was instructing. I asked the same question of him that you have asked here. I don't know what medication you are on, but the potential student I was inquiring about was on Ritalin during the week but not weekends.

He told me that Ritalin consumption would preclude holding even a Cat III medical. It didn't matter when it was taken or how much either. It does make sense when you consider the fact that it is basically an amphetamine.

Sorry to bear bad news, but don't just take my word for it. Things may have changed since. Call TC and ask to speak to the Civil Aviation Medical Doctor. It took me all of five minutes to get it right from the guy who would be approving or rejecting the MC. Good luck and hopefully you can find a way to do it...

"...flying airplanes is really not all that difficult so it attracts some of the most mentally challenged people in society." - . .

"Baby, stick out your can... 'cause I'm the garbageman"
chu me
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chu me »

Now I know why you are called Doc, you are a trained psychologist/ pyschiatrist / pediatrician..... is there anything you can't do! :roll:
For those of you who don't know much about ADHD, it's most commonly the inability to stay on task. These folks are easily distracted. This person cannot complete a task unless it's due "yesterday" ie, critical. Ability to focus forever on something that's a hobby, games etc. At the same time, they have difficulty remembering things that require actions, like phone numbers....poor executive function. Often very highly intelligent. The meds help them focus, and concentrate without being distracted.
After reading that sparse brief they still don't know much.You sound like a drug rep. The internet is a dangerous place to get enough info to diagnose someone and their problems.

There I'm done boys.......have at'er

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

chu me, rather than spout off with your usual drivel (I live with a psychologist, and was passing information form her. I also have a family member diagnosed with ADHD, and I have two years of med school. Share your resume here) why not share with us your bounty of knowledge on the subject.

Pretty sure both Ritalin and Dexedrine would disqualify a person from holding a aviation medical, as they are both amphetamines. Not sure about Concerta. Ask your druggist. I'm sure "chu me" is standing by with more verbal diarrhea on the subject?

Invertago
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Invertago »

chu me, don't tease the crazy folk, and Doc you're reacting in anger again, time to take your meds.

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
chu me
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chu me »

Dear "DOC";
I also have a family member diagnosed with ADHD
My sister has diabetes and she is manic depressive, that does not qualify me to diagnose people with those things. I am sure if you asked your pyschologist friend she would agree that you can't diagnose people with ADHD based on the few symptoms that you described here, it takes a lot of testing by QUALIFIED PROFESSIONALS ( such as your friend )to come up with a proper diagnosis.
These pilots don't realize the difference proper meds would make in their lives.
I am sure she would probably agree that you do not have the qualifications necessary to make that particular statement either. Maybe the reason they are undiagnosed is....... THEY DON"T HAVE IT !!!
and I have two years of med school.
By my calculations that makes you two years of med school and a residency short to be able to diagnose anything other than maybe a headache or a common cold. By the way how long ago did you do this two years of med? 10-20yrs ago perhaps?
As I do not have a wealth of info on this subject nor the proper qualifications I would never make a diagnosis of ADHD on people I know or work with or have met!
ADHD is becoming quite common
I personally believe that the reason for this is precisely because people who are unqualified to make these diagnosis( such as parents, teachers ,social workers,GP's spouses , friends, YOU ) are doing so. If we left it up to those that are qualified it wouldn't be so common. As I have said I personally do not have a wealth of info on the subject but, when my wife publishes her book on the subject I will be sure to send you a copy. Hope my usual drivel isn't too tiresome for everyone.

Sincerely

Chu me

AEROBAT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by AEROBAT »

shinysuitman,

If you can do fine without the meds then why are you taking them? ADHD ranks right up there with the Swine Flue scam, Y2K, First Responder Syndrome ect.

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

chu me....the anger, dude? Why? More Prozac for you, my good man. Anger management obviously ain't working.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

I had ADHD when I was a teen. You cannot hold a medical when on Ritalin. I had to quiet. You may find you will grow out of it (as I did) and not have any problem at all.

chu me
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chu me »

chu me, rather than spout off with your usual drivel
I'm sure "chu me" is standing by with more verbal diarrhea on the subject?
I don't believe I replied with any kind of anger, exasperation maybe, but definitely not anger. However, you might want to check your posts every now and again to see if you are angry.

Sincerely

Chu me

El Comat
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by El Comat »

A post about ADHD gets sidetracked....oh the irony!! :rolleyes:

beaverbob
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by beaverbob »

Deleted

Last edited by beaverbob on Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beaverbob
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by beaverbob »

Deleted from having second thoughts

Last edited by beaverbob on Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Invertago
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Invertago »

El Comat wrote:A post about ADHD gets sidetracked....oh the irony!! :rolleyes:

:smt040 :prayer:

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

When I was a kid there was no such thing as ADD, but then the vice principal gave "the strap". I'm sure there's no correlation though.

Castorero
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Castorero »

Getting back on topic for a moment...

'Shinysuitman", I presume that you have been diagnosed with this condition following appropriate testing and consultation with a psychiatrist who will have used the DSM-IV criteria to arrive at this conclusion.

If that is the case then by all means do seek the opinion of a local or regional CAME as to your eligibility to hold any type of Pilot's permit.

I open this can of worms because ADHD has suffered a resurgence in the collective conciousness, that many feel competent in identifying the afflicted, from school teachers, social workers, baristas, down to your next door neighbor and your benign family doctor.
There has been collective pressure to misdiagnose and treat children especially, without proper diagnostic or professional workup, based on the behavioral evidence provided by teachers in a lot of cases, where Johnny's behavior in class was less than stellar.

Johnny's GP places him on Ritalin and all is good. Never mind that this behavior could be related to other medical conditions or to social, psychological dysfunctions in Johnny's life at home or elsewhere.

ADHD is not a trivial diagnosis without consequence, and that is why it is important to get it right at the beginning, or sooner rather than later.

The lying statistics will tell you that up to 50% of ADHD children will continue to be afflicted into adulthood.

By then, most will have adopted some coping strategies to deal with the majority of symptoms, if left untreated.

Unfortunately some of these coping strategies often involve alcohol and non prescription drugs.

The life of a professional pilot is subjected to enough "normal" stresses and strains, all too evident in these pages, that I would discourage anyone with a confirmed ADHD diagnosis from pursuing a career in Aviation. Period and full stop.

ADHD does not preclude having a successful life or career in other fields, but that choice needs to be made carefully and with some guidance.

I have no doubt that there are many pilots flying today with some degree of ADHD, who cope very well day to day, but who perhaps would have had a more fulfilling and less stressful life had they been diagnosed early and had they chosen a different career path.

Of course, what I have said here is all a lot of hot air, and should mean nothing to "shinysuitman" who should have this very individual discussion with a qualified Medical Professional.

Last edited by Castorero on Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “General Comments”