Peter Shewring, Canadian aviation icon, passes on

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

flyingwithpecos
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Peter Shewring, Canadian aviation icon, passes on

Post by flyingwithpecos »

Pecos would call me every Christmas morning from Whistler, I'd be somewhere in the world with family by my side. That crazy Merlot voice on the other end of the line would draw me to his side. "Hey big Daddy, just calling to see what trouble you are into, you one eyed armadillo!".

How could I ignore that kind of affection?

I can't believe you are gone Pete! You always reminded me how I am not good enough for my girl Marina, but you always had that sparkle in your eye that made me feel proud.... and how you were proud of me. We broke bread last month in Victoria, you me and Marina. I meant to see you in Calgary the next week, and I didn't make it!!!

I know you are looking down right now, "head erect, eyeballs caged, mind in neutral!"

Miss you Big Daddy,

Greg Messner
---------- ADS -----------

JMACK
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JMACK »

Peter Shewring

The Canadian pioneer of week-end ground school classes has been instructing IFR and ATPL/IATRA courses for over 30 years. Peter's extensive experience includes Chief Pilot, Training Captain and Line Captain of a large corporate flight department. He has thousands of hours of flight experience on jet and turbo prop aircraft and is a Transport Canada designated Flight Test Examiner. Peter has extensive aviation knowledge, keeping current at every opportunity. He believes in developing the pilot's knowledge and overall understanding.

From the Aerocourse website,

He touched so many and will be missed dearly.

Condolences to his family.

Coast-dog
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coast-dog »

Shocking news. :cry: :shock:

I feel very fortunate to have had the chance to get to know Peter a little bit through the West coast aviation community, attending his course and working with Steve.

He had a tremendous presence and a warmth that enveloped anyone he engaged in conversation.

Thank-you, Peter.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues." - Abraham Lincoln (1809 - 1865)
jjj
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jjj »

Goodbye Peter,

I fondly remember many pints and many debates. I also recall a check ride pre-brief that was being monitored by TC. All was very normal for the first twenty minutes until Peter got into the IFR questions. An hour later and after many prompts from TC it was over.

Peter wasn't grilling us for the sake of grilling us nor was he showing off - he just loved talking about IFR and was so immersed into the topic that for him the time just flew by.

One of the smartest people I have ever met - beyond witty and an master conversationalist that could speak to anyone about anything. He welcomed so many people into this industry with warmth and kindness and humor. From newbies to the seasoned - he was a friend to all.

With respect,

JJJ

BigglesNBella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BigglesNBella »

Wow, what terrible news! I've only known Peter for a couple years, but he was definitely the reason I fell in love with IFR and passed my INRAT with flying colours. What a loss for the aviation community. :(

RIP Peter, you will be terribly missed in Victoria.

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

There are not many people to whom the terms "legend" or "icon" can be legitimately applied. Peter Shewring was one of them.

I never took one of his courses, but had the pleasure of working with Peter years ago, operating several flights with him on the Citation. I recall whiling away many a pleasant hour in the Ops Manager office with him discussing everything from the technical aspects of IFR flying, to investment schemes, to country music, to his opinion on whatever comely young female I happened to be seeing at the time! The man was a master conversationalist, engaging and genuinely interested in the lives of others. Sharing times at the Flying Beaver with him are among the happiest memories of my career.

Peter was incredibly positive and encouraging in an industry that is often very much the opposite. He approached everything with a gentle, self-effacing humour that helped many of us through tougher periods of our early careers. It is gratifying to see the outpouring of similar sentiment here. I think one of the previous posters used the most apt adjective: above all, Peter treated everyone he met with kindness.

I am extremely sorry to hear of his passing. It is not only the aviation community that is much poorer for the loss. My sincere condolences to his family.

If someone has an email address for his son Steven, could they please pm it to me?

Thank you Peter! You will be missed.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
MacStork
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MacStork »

Peter....
I wish I could be your F/O on this trip Buddy.
It would be a hoot!
Thanks for your wonderful sense of humour! It always got me through the tough times.
I remember your version of Wild Bill Sylverster..... PUSSY CAT!
I remember going to your ground school classes in 1966 at Victoria Flying Services and then listening to you broadcast the news on CKDA .....magnificent!
I remember you ducking out out of my ground school class because PUSSY CAT had a charter to YVR and no other pilot ...but you made it up to us in the Sydney Hotel!
You taught us ....and taught us DAMN WELL! We all survived!
You taught me so much Peter.... and I never forgot that.
You were a class act .....
See you on the other side ....

ScurvyDog
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ScurvyDog »

I've been on the road for 12 days and missed this posting. It came as a shock to me. Peter, you will be missed. I took a couple courses with him through the years and got to know him pretty well in the process. What a great teacher and mentor.
Godspeed Peter. May you always have blue sky's and a nice tailwind!

stickontheice
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by stickontheice »

I just found out this morning...such sad news. He was one of a kind. The best. After working for him for a few years I can only imagine that he's pulling out his old BC Tel Checklist getting ready for T/O up where he belongs. He'll be missed.

xdriver
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by xdriver »

I too was deeply saddened to hear of Peter's passsing. I had the pleasure of flying with him many times in several models of the Citation. The days always passed quickly while flying with Peter. As many have said in previous posts his humor was outstanding, and knowledge on any subject always interesting.

Some years ago I wrote an article on Peter for BC Aviator magazine, but he was too modest to let me submit it as he didn't think he deserved that kind of noteriety for just trying to help pilots in the industry.

As stated above Peter certainly was a "Legend" and "Icon" in the Canadian Aviation industry, and I hope he is nominated for the Aviation Hall of Fame.

Rest in Peace "Reverend"

Koizie1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Koizie1 »

I met Peter this year at an ATPL course. I had heard all the good things about him and the course. I was not dissappointed.

Mostly though I left the course with a desire to be a better, safer and more knowledgable pilot. Or in Peters words. 'Be a profesional.' I have spent more time studying and learning since I passed my A's than I did before, because Peter indirectly reminded me its the right thing to do.

I also left knowing that I had just spent the last three days with a true gentleman.

My heartfelt condolences to Peters family and friends. A legend indeed.

Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Widow »

By request:
The family of Peter Shewring would like to thank everyone who has posted their heart felt memories and best wishes on AvCanada.

We have read every word of every posting. Please continue to tell us your stories as we intend to keep a record of all that is written.

Thank you all,

The Shewring family

A small gathering will be held in Victoria this Friday.

The family is planing an open invitation May 1st at the Victoria airport, to celebrate his life. Details will be posted as they are finalized.
My sympathies to all those mourning the loss of Mr. Shewring. He will clearly be remembered with honour for a long, long time to come.

Former Advocate for Floatplane Safety
overseasflyer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by overseasflyer »

I am saddend to learn that Peter has passed away. I had the pleasure to meet Peter in the aerocourse about 10 years ago while learning to fly, and have been lucky enough to run into him from time to time. Last saw Peter in Toronto at the end of January. We managed to have a few drinks, chat about people we knew,told some pilot stories and as always with Peter had lots of laughs. One amazing trait that Peter had, he always remembered people. He also had such a flare for teaching and enjoying himself. I will always carry some of the lessons I learned from Peter.

Rest in Peace :)

EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by EPR »

Very sad news indeed, Peter will be terribly missed in the aviation community.
With all due respect,
Rest in peace "you Rhodesian Roadhound"!

Keep the dirty side down.
clearmyside
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by clearmyside »

I had the pleasure of meeting Peter about 10 years ago, taking the Aerocourse and sometimes giving him a ride from YVR to YYJ. I remember standing in front of the huge map in the Juan Air office with him and discussing the various regions of the beautiful province of BC.

Peter lived aviation. There wasn't a moment I stopped listening to his every word when he spoke. His energy, enthusiasm, incredible wealth of knowledge, humour and approachability make him a bright spot in everyones live he touched.

Peter is not disillusioned aviation, but embodies every reason I became a pilot.
I am mourning his death and cherish every bit of time I got to experience with this incredible person.

Here's to you, Peter. Cheers!

Pierre S

DaynaGamble
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by DaynaGamble »

"If a man is to shed the light of the sun
upon other men,
he must first of all have it within himself."
Romain Rolland

Peter had a "larger than life" personality which will never be forgotten. He inspired greatness in those around him and could capture a room's attention like no other. He never forgot your name as said in previous posts but I also thought it incredible how he never forgot a story. He cared about who you were and what made you tick and at each encounter would ask, "How's your father? How's that brother of yours doing with his career?"

I met Peter in 2005 and flew him to Bellingham in a C172 as my very first "paid flying gig". At the time I didn't know I was flying an aviation icon and that was probably a good thing. When we finished the flight back to Victoria, Peter came back from his car with all the Aerocourse ATPL Manuals and a whole stack of extra Citation Manuals with the explanation that, "you'll be flying the big jets soon enough, there's no better time to start studying". What inspiration!

Thank you Peter for your kindness and zest for life. You will be missed.

Dayna

Mik
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mik »

Peter I very much appreciated all our afternoon chats at Juan Air the last few years. They were both entertaining and full of excellent advice. You taught so much valuable information and you will be missed very much.
Kim Hughes

Probie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Probie »

Peter will surely be missed by all of us. Everyone he taught, or even talked to, will remember his great stories and quick wit. There is a great void in Canadian aviation today. Condolences to the Shewring family. You will be misses Peter.

Rob Diamond

CJM
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CJM »

In no way is it an exageration to say that Peter was my favourite teacher ever. An incredible person with unusual passion and kindness. I had the pleasure of sitting in a couple of his courses. After his classes you could barely get a chance to talk to him as everyone else already was.

Rest in Peace Peter.

Tubthumper
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Tubthumper »

"...head erect, eyes caged, thumb-up-butt and mind in neutral...."

One of the many Peterisms not to be forgotten. The ATPL course he taught that I had the opportunity to attend was cutting edge from start to finish....and it didn't really finish with the classroom being empty. Afterwords, he would be eager to continue discussion (about anything) "over a Heineken" and great conversation with anyone who would join him carried on. With an unmatched sense of humour, he would assign you a nickname (that no one else would think of) which would stick to you and he'd remember it when he saw you, even if it had been years ago. Selflessly, he was always happy to share his vast knowledge and expertise with any pilot. I remember him wanting to fly above FL600 into uncontrolled airspace and 'Cancel IFR' while trying to imagine the look on ATCs face when you did it.

Peter, whether it be in the classroom, on the ramp, coffee shop or just passing in the hallway, it was always a pleasure to stop, shake your hand and say hello.
I hope to again some day.

Mr Shewring, I salute you, comrade.

Pat Gould
(Peripatetic Pat)

:rolleyes:

Return to “General Comments”