Taking a 22 month old up in a 152?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

CD
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Taking a 22 month old up in a 152?

Post by CD »

joco wrote:We had our son at 15 mo traveling YYZ to VIE (over 9 hr flt) in our arms and they gave us an infant seatbelt with a loop that got attached to the parent seat belt. Holding the infant in the mother's arms is not a good idea.
An approved CRS is the best way to transport an infant as the loop belt isn't ideal either.
JAR-OPS 1.320 and 1.730 outline, among other things, the transportation of infants and children. The provisions allow multiple occupancy of aircraft passenger seats. Accordingly, infants (< 2 years) are properly transported on an adult's lap. JAR OPS 1.730 further regulates that an operator is only allowed to operate an aircraft if he or she provides an additional loop belt or other restraint device for each infant.
For the transportation of infants on an adult's lap, the adult is restrained with a pelvic belt, and the infant is fixed on the adult's lap with an additional loop belt.
In a suddenly occurring deceleration in the longitudinal aircraft axis, the adult and the infant show a pronounced jack-knife effect. The upper torso and the lower extremities of the infant as well as of the adult sitting behind the infant fold up in a forward direction, with the loop belt restraining the infant. Finally, the loop belt drives into the infant's abdomen and only stops at his or her vertebral spine. From the technical point of view, the infant acts like an energy absorption element for the adult; the crash loads acting on the adult are thus reduced, and the infant fixed with the loop belt thus suffers most serious up to fatal injuries.

Examination on the Enhancement of Cabin Safety for Infants
---------- ADS -----------

Dust Devil
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Dust Devil »

if still alive after the crash, is not able to escape a fire, or to look for help.
Valid point but it's a risk not unsafe. There is a difference
In addition you cannot really affirm he agreed to take such a risk. If it were you own kid it would maybe be different...
Personally my daughter does not consent to anything. I'm the Dad and my word is law. I determine what my daughter consents to until I'm convinced she has the judgment to do so on her own (probably somewhere around her 42nd birthday) That said a child should not be taken up without parents consent. If a parent consents then it matters zip what the child consents too. Parents are the boss children are not.
Meanwhile I am also quite sure single piston engines crash very regularly...
really? I think that is a false statement. I'd say even single engine aircraft crashes are not very regular. They happen but it is hardly normal
What does the father think about it?
I would assume if the child is in the plane the father or mother should be well aware of where their child is.

//=S=//

A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed
Moose47
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Moose47 »

My brother was 11 weeks old when we flew from RCAF Unit Fort Churchill to Winnipeg (February 7th, 1961) in the back of a C-119 Flying Boxcar. We were 13,000 feet enroute. Cold and drafty and you could see the light of day between the clam shell doors He stayed in my mothers arms the whole way.

The question arose at our COPA Flight meeting one night. It was felt that a car seat is the only viable and responsible solution. Otherwise you are needlessy putting the baby at risk.

Cheers...Chris

nofate
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by nofate »

I took my friend and his two year old daughter up for a ride in a 172 aseveral years ago. The little girl was strapped in the back seat and fell asleep while taxiing for takeoff. She woke up when we landed so her first flight didn't leave much of an impression on her. :)

Return to “General Comments”