Pet Peeves

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

OceansEdge
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Pet Peeves

Post by OceansEdge »

FTU's that refer to the PPL flunky working his way through his CPL/Instructor rating who is answering phones ('office work') and dusting ('swabbing out the can') as "DISPATCHERS" - I'm sorry - that's not dispatching, and it confuses the poor candidate looking for a job into thinking he has 'dispatch' experience, and it denigrates the work those of us who are dispatchers.
---------- ADS -----------

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

1) People who report things with the phrase "you can check...", as in "you can check FYCC is turning final". It's stupid. Why am I supposed to check? You just told me, you're turning final!

2) Warm toilet seats

3) Pilots who do not wear stripes on their shirts. Who is the skipper? I can't tell!

4) Radio calls that start with "and"...

5) People who try to take a flash photograph inside the plane, out the window. It won't work! Also people who take flash pictures into the cockpit at dusk. It scares me.

6) Just about everything passengers say or do. I prefer freight. People are always either farting, speaking, leaving disgusting personal things lying around or stuffed into seat backs, or touching things that don't belong to them.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
Phlyer
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Phlyer »

Meatservo wrote: Radio calls that start with "and"...
Agreed.

VRC9170
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by VRC9170 »

3) Pilots who do not wear stripes on their shirts. Who is the skipper? I can't tell!

Pilots that wear stripes flying single pilot VFR.

Last edited by VRC9170 on Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Randleman
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Randleman »

VRC9170 wrote:

Pilots that where stripes flying single pilot VFR.
:smt045
-Student pilots that wear stripes

-Pilots "know it all" attitudes

-Cockiness of Harv's Air dispatchers

-Pilots that do not listen to ATC instructions (for no good reason, of course)

-People who think they are entitled to a flying job right off the bat purely because they have an "aviation degree."

-CATSA...nuff said

-FSS stations acting like Tower stations

I don't know about you, but I also find it REALLY annoying when a pilot says "_____ traffic, blah blah blah, _____ trafic" on a unique MF/ATF. I understand when broadcasting on 26.7 or a general frequency used by more than one station-I'm generally not listening to the first bit of the radio call either, so I'll miss you're first few words, but when it's a unique frequency (ex. Langley Traffic on 119.0 at night) I find it irritating and unnecessary.

Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by 767 »

Big Pistons Forever wrote:Pet Peeve: The fact that 767 and I share a common qualification....we both have a flight instructor rating :oops:
Pet Peeve:

The fact that I dont have enough time to read / make posts on Avcanada due to the fact that I am busy flight instructing (and other things in life). I wish I could write long essays and have the time to read the looong posts by BPF.

Never buy 1$ tickets
aero driver
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by aero driver »

Cobra64 wrote:Pet Peeve: "any conflicting traffic please advice." Because if I was conflicting traffic I would probably just keep quiet and hope things turn out ok. :roll:
Ya,untill your looking the other guy straight in the face @ 2000agl :(

Jumpus Pilotus
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Jumpus Pilotus »

Pilots calling "Out of the flight levels".

WTF, you guys fly so high that you are too cool to tell us wuffos exactly what FL you start descending from????

Have you ever thought that maybe you are not the only one flying above 18 000' ??????

An airplane kills you quickly; a woman takes her time.
Turkey
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Turkey »

American controllers who put a "November" infront of my callsign. Every time. "November Charlie Golf..."

The inability to follow does not necessarily a great leader make.
Mihai
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mihai »

MEDEVAC. it stands for MEDical EVACuation.
It's not MEDIVAC... what is that supposed to stand for, MEDIcal VACuum? VACation?

It has been said before but i find it really annoying when people say C-FABC as Charlie Fox Alpha Bravo Charlie... the C means Canadian and when you're flying in your training zone for 45 minutes, you don't really need to remind us where you're from.

Kartoon
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Kartoon »

Dude or dudette trying to sounds "cool" on the radio by adopting some sort of a tone voice they absolutely don't use except when when using the push to talk :roll:

IanC
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by IanC »

Randleman wrote:
:smt045
Actual pilots that don't realize that its a rule at most flight schools for students to wear a uniform and epaulettes. I assume that is what you are referring to.

cjpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cjpilot »

IanC wrote: :smt045

Actual pilots that don't realize that its a rule at most flight schools for students to wear a uniform and epaulettes. I assume that is what you are referring to.
Most flight schools? Surely the majority of flight school owners are interested in teaching people how to fly rather than how to dress like an airline captain. What is the logic for requiring this of students? It can't be to make the airplane perform any better. It is equally unlikely that it helps the student learn any better... Please enlighten us.

If I walked in off the street and the school told me the only way to learn to fly was to dress like a wannabe 747 captain, I'd go somewhere else.

Life is best viewed upside down through the canopy
Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

deleted wrong thread

IanC
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by IanC »

cjpilot wrote: Most flight schools? Surely the majority of flight school owners are interested in teaching people how to fly rather than how to dress like an airline captain. What is the logic for requiring this of students? It can't be to make the airplane perform any better. It is equally unlikely that it helps the student learn any better... Please enlighten us.

If I walked in off the street and the school told me the only way to learn to fly was to dress like a wannabe 747 captain, I'd go somewhere else.
I should rephrase, most college integrated programs make it a requirement for students to wear the uniform. Apparently it is to teach professionalism. I completely agree with you on its merits or lack there of, as I see no point to it either. You shouldn't blame the students who are forced to wear them though.

into the blue
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by into the blue »

In the FTU where I trained for my PPL and CPL, there was no requirement for students to wear uniforms. However, some guys voluntarily wore some sort of a uniform (without epaulets). Those in general were serious fellows, who took their training seriously. On the other hand, the guys who showed up for their lessons in beach shorts and sandals...not so much :smt012 . Just an observation.

flap16
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by flap16 »

Pilots who fly their plane with no consideration for the comfort of the folks in the back.
Or...pilots who are unable to fly the plane in a comfortable manner.

Randleman
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Randleman »

IanC wrote:
cjpilot wrote: Most flight schools? Surely the majority of flight school owners are interested in teaching people how to fly rather than how to dress like an airline captain. What is the logic for requiring this of students? It can't be to make the airplane perform any better. It is equally unlikely that it helps the student learn any better... Please enlighten us.

I should rephrase, most college integrated programs make it a requirement for students to wear the uniform. Apparently it is to teach professionalism. I completely agree with you on its merits or lack there of, as I see no point to it either. You shouldn't blame the students who are forced to wear them though.
I am not speaking of the people in college programs who wear it as part of a dress code. I am talking about the chum who goes to school dressed in a pilot uniform with epaulets just for the sake of feeling like a pilot.

I showed up to flight lessons in beech shorts and flip flops in the summer, who cares? as long as you are on time and professional in your conduct, how you dress in flight school does not really matter, unless they have a dress code.

Rudder Bug
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Rudder Bug »

'effin hippie wrote:people who's posts consist of nothing but quotes of other, previous posts, with nothing added by themselves....Like this? :mrgreen:

Flying an aircraft and building a guitar are two things that are easy to do bad and difficult to do right

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yd_QppdGks
North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Starbucks baristas, Westjet Checkin peeps, store cashiers, etc... who take it upon themselves to call me 'North' when they first speak to me. 100% of the time, if they addressed me as Mr. Shore, I'd say: "No, Mr. Shore's my dad, I'm North," and we'd go about our business all friendly like. Instead, they call me 'North', and I feel like yelling: "It's Mr bloody Shore to you, you ill-mannered lout!" :evil: :evil: grrrrrrrr.....

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.

Return to “General Comments”