Emirates out to hire 700 pilots over next 18 months . . .

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

robbreid
Rank 7
Rank 7

Emirates out to hire 700 pilots over next 18 months . . .

Post by robbreid »

Click Here for info.

http://www.emirates.com/us/english/about/careers.aspx

Requirements:

To apply to Emirates, candidates must have a minimum of 4000 total and 2000 multi-engine jet hours; or a total of 2500 hours on a modern, commercial multi-engine, multi-crew jet aircraft, ICAO ATPL and ICAO English level (4 or above). We will provide candidates with a round trip ticket to Dubai from an Emirates destination to attend our Selection Programme.
---------- ADS -----------

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Emirates out to hire 700 pilots over next 18 months . .

Post by rigpiggy »

because the vast majority of us who have 200 on a jet want to leave canada for anything besides a DEC position

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

I think complexintentions can fill in about how life is as a canuck living in dubai flying for emirates. I would listen closely to what he has to say.

North of You
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by North of You »

When I look at my T4 and then compare that to my actual income after paying off someone elses house :smt076 , I’m getting damn tempted to do this.

“Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords
is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power
derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical
aquatic ceremony.” My Father
xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

Dash 8-100 vs A380?
Canada Pension vs Emirates/savings?

Hmmmm.

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
golden hawk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by golden hawk »

This guy seems pretty happy....

http://www.thespec.com/article/575642

Jack Klumpus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jack Klumpus »

loopa wrote:I think complexintentions can fill in about how life is as a canuck living in dubai flying for emirates. I would listen closely to what he has to say.
Why would you listen to what he has to say? Nothing against him, but you go and make your own decision.

When I retire, I’ll miss the clowns, not the circus.
winds_in_flight_wtf
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by winds_in_flight_wtf »

With their 90 A380s, this does not surprise me. Someone please tell me why any airline in their right mind would order this many aircraft? Is it necessary? Is there that much traffic flowing through dubai? I think not!

RVR6000
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RVR6000 »

winds_in_flight_wtf wrote:With their 90 A380s, this does not surprise me. Someone please tell me why any airline in their right mind would order this many aircraft? Is it necessary? Is there that much traffic flowing through dubai? I think not!
Well they're doing something right, they made a billion dollars in profit last year.

UKPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by UKPilot »

winds_in_flight_wtf wrote:With their 90 A380s, this does not surprise me. Someone please tell me why any airline in their right mind would order this many aircraft?
It was probably a dare.

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

RVR6000 wrote:
winds_in_flight_wtf wrote:With their 90 A380s, this does not surprise me. Someone please tell me why any airline in their right mind would order this many aircraft? Is it necessary? Is there that much traffic flowing through dubai? I think not!
Well they're doing something right, they made a billion dollars in profit last year.
It helps when the fuel tab is only a fraction of what airlines pay.

RVR6000
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RVR6000 »

yycflyguy wrote:
RVR6000 wrote:
It helps when the fuel tab is only a fraction of what airlines pay.
Not according to there website,

Q. Some of your competitors accuse Emirates® of enjoying an unfair advantage in terms of fuel. Are these allegations valid?

A. Emirates® purchases its fuel on the same terms as every other commercial airline at all airports at which it operates, including at Dubai International Airport. In 2007/08, fuel accounted for more than 30% of Emirates' total expenditures, which is comparable with the relevant expenditures of other long-haul international carriers such as Qantas, Singapore Airlines, Lufthansa or British Airways. Earlier in 2008, Emirates® shared the aviation industry’s pain with respect to record high fuel prices. For the first six months of the financial year ending September 30, 2008, Emirates® produced a net profit of Dhs 284 million (USD 77 million) - down 88% compared to Dhs 2.36 billion (USD 643 million) net profits for the same period in 2007 and meant that Emirates’ fuel costs were higher than budgeted by Dhs 1.7 billion (USD 469 million). From a historically low base, the relevance of oil to Dubai over the last few decades has been steadily diminishing to the point that today oil related GDP represents only 5% of Dubai’s total GDP.

Jet Fuel Costs

As regards jet fuel, he says

Although some competitors like to insinuate that our fuel prices are unfairly lower than theirs, we get no breaks at all in fuel prices, either in Dubai or anywhere else in the world, other than those that we (and other airlines) manage to secure through tough negotiating and clever sourcing. We actually have a full time fuel buyer, based in Texas, and he saved us US$242 million in our last financial year. Any other airline can (and often does) do the same things we do to control their fuel costs.

Indeed, Nigel's colleague Will Löfberg, Emirates' Manager of Public Affairs, based in Dubai, confirms

Emirates purchases its fuel on the open market and in Dubai our suppliers are: Air BP, Shell, Chevron, Exxon, ENOC - all of whom charge us at commercial rates.

http://www.emirates.com/us/english/abou ... s/q_a.aspx

http://thetravelinsider.info/airlinemis ... irates.htm

rooster
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rooster »

Jack Klumpus wrote:
loopa wrote:I think complexintentions can fill in about how life is as a canuck living in dubai flying for emirates. I would listen closely to what he has to say.
Why would you listen to what he has to say? Nothing against him, but you go and make your own decision.
I believe he simply said "listen to what he has to say". Not "do what he tells you". Why wouldn't you listen to the opinion of someone who's living the experience that relates to this thread before making your own judgment call?

Nothing against you either but I could easily just the same say, why would WE listen to YOU?

rooster
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rooster »

I wonder how many more terminal expansions they will need with this kind of fleet size. They will soon need their own super airport!

Jack Klumpus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jack Klumpus »

rooster wrote:
Jack Klumpus wrote:
I believe he simply said "listen to what he has to say". Not "do what he tells you". Why wouldn't you listen to the opinion of someone who's living the experience that relates to this thread before making your own judgment call?

Nothing against you either but I could easily just the same say, why would WE listen to YOU?
Because if you listened to this same poster a few years back, the tone was 180. His preachings were how life at emirates was the best thing since sliced bread, and how it was offering more than anything that Canada had to offer.

Listen to my opinion or not, no worries here. Personally, I take my decisions based on what I research. If you're wondering, the research does not include strangers posting on internet forums.

fingersmac
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by fingersmac »

rooster wrote:I wonder how many more terminal expansions they will need with this kind of fleet size. They will soon need their own super airport!
Already in the works. Five parallel runways and able to handle 160 million passengers/40 million tons of freight. Cargo operations start this month.

RB211
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by RB211 »

Well I guess it is good for EK that you are not running the airline!

The traffic numbers through Dubai are growing substantially year over year. It is easy to see why when you consider the geographic location of Dubai as a hub with respect to global population. Especially when much of that population is in emerging markets. I read somewhere that the middle class population of India was equivalent to the entire U.S. population and growing. That is a great number of folks with some disposable income for travelling. Then there is the Middle East in general and Africa.

EK is in a position to take advantage of its location, and the latest generation long haul a/c, to connect these regions with the rest of the developed world.

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

fingersmac wrote:
rooster wrote:I wonder how many more terminal expansions they will need with this kind of fleet size. They will soon need their own super airport!
Already in the works. Five parallel runways and able to handle 160 million passengers/40 million tons of freight. Cargo operations start this month.

Wow!!!!

That's insane.

Jack Klumpus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jack Klumpus »

I hope they can land in cross-winds.

Also, my impression of dubai, having spent time in that whole entire region, is that it's more fake than Las Vegas. Everything about it is fake. From the trees, to the culture, to the food, the women, etc, etc, etc.

Mihai
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mihai »

Jack Klumpus wrote:I hope they can land in cross-winds.
+1
if you're gonna spend so much money, why not make a few 90-degree runways as well?

Return to “General Comments”