vickars vc-10 in YYB???

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

mr.jinks
Rank 2
Rank 2

vickars vc-10 in YYB???

Post by mr.jinks »

im not sure if it is a vc-10, but what is this 4 engine monster in YYB and why is it there?
---------- ADS -----------

Maynard
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: vickars vc-10 in YYB???

Post by Maynard »

I believe it's an Ilyusion or however you spell it...I asked the fss guy a few weeks back if anything big was coming, and he said that only a russian Ilyusin was going there....?

I guess I should write something here.
mr.jinks
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by mr.jinks »

this one had 4 engines attached to the rear end of the fuselage and was parked infront of the terminal building. i saw a heavy 4 engine russian looking airplane on the ramp at the voyageur/bombardier hanger area as well.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Il-62?

Something to do with the Summit perhaps. I know that these planes are banned in most Western countries and aren't Stage 3 (neither are Hornets for that matter :rolleyes: ), so maybe YYB was as close as they could get to YYZ.

Last edited by iflyforpie on Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
mr.jinks
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by mr.jinks »

huh..... yeah thats it.. must have been the russian politicians here for the g8

Pitot/SAS/Low/Auto
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pitot/SAS/Low/Auto »

Ilyushin 62. Not alot of them still flying, but they're around. The only VC 10s still flying are RAF ones. They are visitors to YYC ,YEG a fair bit. Not so much here in YVR. They're all painted olive green.

Flybabe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Flybabe »

I saw a VC-10 in Albuquerque a couple years ago:

Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace. The soul that knows it not,knows no release from the little things; knows not the livid loneliness of fear, nor mountain heights where bitter joy can hear the sound of wings.
- Amelia Earhart
AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

iflyforpie wrote: I know that these planes are banned in most Western countries and aren't Stage 3 (neither are Hornets for that matter :rolleyes: ), so maybe YYB was as close as they could get to YYZ.
Except the Hornet doesn't weigh more than 75 000lbs (only airplanes weighting more than 75 000 lbs are required to meet Stage 3 requirements)

Going for the deck at corner
Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

AuxBatOn wrote:
iflyforpie wrote: I know that these planes are banned in most Western countries and aren't Stage 3 (neither are Hornets for that matter :rolleyes: ), so maybe YYB was as close as they could get to YYZ.
Except the Hornet doesn't weigh more than 75 000lbs (only airplanes weighting more than 75 000 lbs are required to meet Stage 3 requirements)
Nope: Noise is noise and the test is fly over decibles. A 12,500 lb Lear 23 (stage 2...barely :wink: ) is banned from all the same airports as all the non hush kit moded 2/3/4 engine turbojet airliners

Driving Comet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Driving Comet »

DIVISION X - NOISE EMISSION LEVELS FOR SUBSONIC TURBO-JET AEROPLANES

(amended 2008/09/05; previous version)

Requirements

602.150 (1) No person shall operate a subsonic turbo-jet aeroplane that has a maximum certificated take-off weight of more than 34 000 kg (74,956 pounds) to or from an aerodrome other than Gander International Airport unless the aeroplane meets the noise emission standards set out in Chapter 3 or 4 of Volume I, Aircraft Noise, of Annex 16 to the Convention.

(2) For the purpose of subsection (1), the following expressions, used in Annex 16 to the Convention, have the following meanings:

(a) "aeroplane" has the same meaning as in subsection 101.01(1);

(b) "maximum certificated take-off mass" has the same meaning as "maximum certificated take-off weight" in subsection 101.01(1); and

(c) "subsonic jet" has the same meaning as "subsonic turbo-jet aeroplane" in subsection (1).
Sort of a thread hijack but this is an interesting topic. As a Hornet is a supersonic aircraft, as opposed to the subsonic aircraft that the CARs talks about, it does not have a noise requirement, right? Which CARs would apply to aircraft noise emissions not covered by the CARs above?

Also interesting to note that this applies to all airports except Gander...

http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/regse ... tm#602_150

DC

Coast-dog
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coast-dog »

IL-62 looks like a copy of the VC-10; traditional cold-war fare IMO...there was a B727 look-a-like built as well...TU-154...

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues." - Abraham Lincoln (1809 - 1865)
whiteguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by whiteguy »

I believe all military and Government aircraft are not restricted.

Return to “General Comments”