Transition Lenses

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

vrrotate
Rank 3
Rank 3

Transition Lenses

Post by vrrotate »

I've been thinking about getting transition lenses. Does anyone have them? What are your thoughts, good or bad?
---------- ADS -----------

MCB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Transition Lenses

Post by MCB »

Used to have them, only good when not actually behind a windshield. I believe the UV light is defracted(?) by windshields and therefore does not transition the lenses fully. The optometrist warned me of this when I was buying them.

I think prescription sunglasses are the way to go.

Driving Comet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Driving Comet »

Very annoying. They would quickly darken and then take forever to lighten when you got inside. Like above, they don't darken in cars.

I found that after using transitions for a while, my eyes became more sensitive to light when the glasses weren't on - not sure if anyone else has had that problem.

Like above, I recommend getting a good pair of prescription sunglasses.

DC

vrrotate
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vrrotate »

Thanks guys. I've been wearing prescription sunglasses for the past 10 years. Honestly getting sick and tired of changing glasses every time I go in or out of a building, or from sunny to cloudy etc. Thought the transitions might be more convenient but I guess not.

DanJ
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by DanJ »

Have to agree with the others. Didn't darken enough when driving, and didn't brighten quick enough when going inside. For the last 10 years or so I used the easy-clips, with the magnetic sunglass clip. Similar to the separate sunglasses, you still have to carry a separate item, but it's not as bulky as a complete pair of glasses. This year I went back to separate glasses and sunglasses, simply because I wanted a nice pair of athletic style sunglasses. My biggest worry with that is because I work late afternoons into the night, I'm afraid I'll wear my sunglasses to work and leave my regular glasses on the counter, and find myself driving home at night without glasses or wearing the sunglasses LOL.

notthereyet
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by notthereyet »

I wear regular glasses with clip-ons. I have tried the magnetic type but found they come off too easily. The type that clip onto your regular glasses have worked best for me. With the separate sunglasses and glasses it is a big hassle to switch, especially in the cockpit.

Prairie Chicken
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Prairie Chicken »

I had prescription sunglasses for virtually all of my career & was happy with that arrangement. A few years back I tried the clip-ons & found them too heavy. Unfortunately, now that I wear progressives, I find it to be a very expensive proposition to have two sets of glasses.

Prairie Chicken
. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

For cheap glasses, these guys are great. I know someone who bought fake gayviators and some other glasses from them. No problems.

I'll be buying my next glasses from them.

http://www.zennioptical.com/home.php

-istp 8)

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Another vote for Zenni Optical. I have been buying glasses from them for about 8 years now. $80 will get you stylish glasses with transitions lenses, if you want to try it for yourself. I wear them while flying and have no issues. The previous poster is correct that they do not transition fully in the cockpit... The plexi diffuses the UV enough that they don't go 100%. They don't change *at all* in the car. Glass blocks UV.

Keep those in mind, and decide accordingly. You can just as easily get two pairs of glasses for about $50 each, identical frames, one with clear lenses and the other with tinted. It's almost cheap enough to be worth trying all options and then tossing out the ones you don't like... :P

Koizie1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Koizie1 »

Thanks for the link to Zenni Optical, it almost seems too good to be true. Its at worst a third of the price. Any ideas how they do it so cheap? Have you ever had any problems dealing with them?

I'm sick of getting prescription sunglasses that never seem to have exactly the same prescription as my regular glasses. I might try a pair of glasses with clip ons from Zenni. At $50 its definitely worth the risk.

Return to “General Comments”