"Gathering of the Classics" at Edenvale Airport, August 7

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

avcanada
Rank Admin
Rank Admin

"Gathering of the Classics" at Edenvale Airport, August 7

Post by avcanada »

Hello,

As a fellow pilot, I'd like to invite you back to the "Gathering of the Classics" at Edenvale Airport, August 07 (rain date Aug. 08), this year.

There will be an air conditioned Hospitality Room, free coffee and snacks at the Registration tent, and Free Lunch for visiting pilots in the renowned new "Fud" restaurant in the terminal. Plus trophies for Best Airplane in Show - Pilot's Choice, Best Airplane in Show - Audience's Choice and Best Automobile in Show - Audience's Choice.

We've made some changes to make your participation simpler and more enjoyable. First, there's a new Arrival Procedure (attached pdf). It's very simple; nothing more than arranging your route to start over a nearby village, then follow in-trail to the airport for a completely normal overhead-the-field circuit entry. This should help in the spacing-out of traffic in the simplest way possible.

Plus the new 4000 ft runway 13-31 has been linked-up with runway 08-26, so the landing traffic flow will be greatly simplified (see attached pdf). Also, a new grass surface has been worked-up beside runway 31, so the ECAF Tiger Moth will be flying the same circuit as everyone else.

It's the largest Fly-in of Classic and Vintage aircraft in Ontario, plus we've arranged for the CWH B-25 Mitchell to attend, plus the VWoC Curtiss P-40 Kittyhawk fighter (which has dual-controls, by the way) and DH 83 Fox Moth (which was owned by HRH King Edward in the '30s), and Harvards from the CHAA. All these aircraft (including the fighter!) are available for shared flights. Plus of course dozens of interesting Classic private aircraft.

A high-power base-station radio will be set up this year, so that Airport Advisories will be heard at greater range.

Volunteers are always welcome, of course! We are always looking for folks who'd like to help out.

I hope we see you there!

If you are with the press and would like to reserve a press pass or arrange an earlier interview; or if you don't fly, but are interested in volunteering, please contact me at the email or phone listed below.

Pass along this email to others you know who may be interested in attending.

Trailer and Tent camping is available on site.

Robin Hadfield
Chairman, Gathering of the Classics
http://www.classicaircraft.ca
robin@classicaircraft.ca
705.818.2223 hangar tape
705.309.3007 cell
---------- ADS -----------

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: "Gathering of the Classics" at Edenvale Airport, August

Post by niss »

I will be there volunteering Saturday! If you want to meet me and get my autograph I'll see you there! :wink:

She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
partsboy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by partsboy »

Enjoy our P-40 and Foxmoth; there real lookers. the P-40 is affectionally known as "Betty", the
fox is just that "Fox". :D

Ad Hoc Opusculum Fac! other wise put, Kept in the dark and ....
albertdesalvo
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by albertdesalvo »

niss wrote:If you want to meet me and get my autograph I'll see you there! :wink:
Holy chit! I wasn't going to go ('cause I've been to lots of these), but here's an opportunity that's hard to resist! I will try to persuade the GF, maybe I'll see you over there. I haven't been there since they "upgraded" the coffee shop into some damnfool upscale yuppie "eatery" named "Fud". About an hour ago I was driving through Stayner and noticed another "Fud" with identical signage. Hadn't seen it there before, and it looked like it was closed and under renovations. Who names a restaurant "Fud"???? Seems like a recipe for instant bankruptcy to me.

Anyway, if you've never been in an open cockpit biplane, you can catch a ride in the Tiger Moth, which is barrels of fun. If you let the pilot know you have a PPL, he might even let you put your tootsies on the pedals. :rolleyes:

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

I do not like the fact that Fud has taken over. It's nice that there is a swanky fly in restaurant but it really loses that community feel of being able to fly in, take a piss and eat something at the cafe.

They politely serve me everytime but do feel as though they rush me out.

I guess I do kind of resemble Rodney Dangerfields character in Caddyshack when I fly in there.

This steaks still got marks from where the jockey was beating it!

albertdesalvo
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by albertdesalvo »

niss wrote:I guess I do kind of resemble Rodney Dangerfields character in Caddyshack
Well then I guess I must be Bill Murray. But seriously, if I can convince the GF to go (she's been to lots of these too, and it's kinda the sameold syndrome), we will look you up and say hi.

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

Hopefully I'll see you there!

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

Is niss going to wear his pants? If so, can someone get a photo, please? :wink:

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

Hedley wrote:Is niss going to wear his pants? If so, can someone get a photo, please? :wink:
Nope, but if you want I can post a bunch of pics of me with out any pants.

albertdesalvo
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by albertdesalvo »

Had to go to Toronto :smt013 that day, so no joy on checking out Niss' pants, or lack thereof. It was still dark when I drove by. Anything interesting happen? Kinda breezy that day, anyone ground loop their Ercoupe? :rolleyes: Does that Larry guy still do the PA, shamelessly plugging his band all day long? And how was the Fud? :vom:

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

albertdesalvo wrote:Had to go to Toronto :smt013 that day, so no joy on checking out Niss' pants, or lack thereof. It was still dark when I drove by. Anything interesting happen? Kinda breezy that day, anyone ground loop their Ercoupe? :rolleyes: Does that Larry guy still do the PA, shamelessly plugging his band all day long? And how was the Fud? :vom:
I wouldn't know about the Fud as there was a bit of a supply & demand issue so I ate from the hot dog truck. No accidents thankfully, but it was like a bee hive around the place and separation was a bit of an issue a couple of times.

B25 did a low and over which was great, unfortunatley I was marshaling someone to their spot at the time so I couldn't give it my full attention. Apparently there were over 200 a/c that day.

Great time and I will definitely be doing it next year. My only gripe is that I didnt have more time to go around and see the other a/c.

Cheers!

Niss

albertdesalvo
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by albertdesalvo »

niss wrote:Great time and I will definitely be doing it next year.
I have considered volunteering, but was always afraid they'd stick me out in the hot sun in the parking lot collecting tickets or something. But things may be different now, the last time I attended this event it was still in Collingwood. Edenvale is a nicer venue, especially with the new runway. Maybe next year.

Return to “General Comments”