Lost Pilot Log Book - What to do???

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

aholenstein
Rank 1
Rank 1

Lost Pilot Log Book - What to do???

Post by aholenstein »

I've lost my Logbook when I moved to my new place, I’ve look everywhere but can't locate it.

I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 600 hours, mostly PIC in a C-172.

Here is my situation; I build all those hours with a friend’s plane flying friends and relatives around. The guy who owned the place has moved out of the country and we've lost contact. Not sure where the planes journey log is, as the plane has been decommissioned about 4 years ago.

What can I do? I have no way to proof to anyone my actual hours. Can I just start a new logbook carry on???

Thanks,
---------- ADS -----------

FlaplessDork
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Lost Pilot Log Book - What to do???

Post by FlaplessDork »

You can go to Transport Canada and swear an affidavit that you have set amount of hours.

CFR
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CFR »

Have a look in the CARS. There is a section on statuatory declarations. I misplaced my log book and wrote a statement that said I had ~ total time with x as PIC y dual, etc. You then declare it in front of a notary (I used a lawyer friend of mine) and keep it with your new log book. I eventually found my original (and I now keep the book and an e-copy) so I never had to face a challenge of what I claimed (by the way, my numbers were pretty close) and it wasn't a lot of time, so TC would not likely question it.

cheers

J

aholenstein
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by aholenstein »

I've looked on in the CARS, and this is what i've found:

Everythings seems normal except for the highlited area, has anyone ever had to go through all these trouble? My CPL and Ratings are already registered with TC, when would i be required to redo all my Tests and Exams??

421.08 Personal Logs
(amended 1999/03/01; no previous version)
(1) Loss of Personal Log
An applicant for a flight crew permit, licence or rating who is unable to provide proof of flying experience by means of a personal log, due to extenuating circumstances such as the loss of records through fire, theft or other similar cause, may submit an Affidavit or Statutory Declaration sworn before a Commissioner of Oaths, to the Minister.
(a) The affidavit or declaration shall contain a breakdown of flying experience claimed, appropriate to the permit, licence or rating applied for and shall include the following details:
(i) hours flown by day and by night on single and multi-engine aircraft as pilot-in-command, co-pilot and dual;
(ii) hours flown cross-country by day and by night as pilot-in-command, co-pilot and dual;
(iii) hours of instrument flight time and approved instrument ground trainer time;
(iv) aircraft types and registrations; and
(v) where applicable, names of employers and dates of employment.
(b) The affidavit or declaration shall contain an explanation of the circumstances which prevented the submission of a personal log and a statement declaring that all attempts to reproduce and certify entries in a personal log have been unsuccessful.
(c) Wherever practicable, the applicant shall obtain corroborating evidence, such as copies of journey log book entries.
(d) Affidavits or Statutory Declarations submitted without corroborating evidence shall not be accepted by the Minister as evidence of flying experience beyond that required for the issue of a Commercial Pilot Licence.
(e) The applicant shall, in addition, successfully complete all examinations and tests required for the permit, licence or rating applied for.
(2) Lack of Personal Log - Foreign Licence Holders
Holders of pilot licences issued by a Contracting State who are unable to provide a certified personal log may be credited by the Minister with the minimum flying experience specified in ICAO Annex 1 for the foreign licence held.

Blakey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Blakey »

Run the registration on the TC site and contact the registered owner. Get the Journey log and sit in front of a photocopier for 30 minutes. I'm hoping you remember the registration of an aircraft you flew for 600 hours.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you!
PAJ
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by PAJ »

You could try contacting the broker who insured the plane. It's likely that the owner would have had to fill in a questionnaire about authorized pilots PIC/Dual experience. Not sure if this would be acceptable on it's own but it might serve to backup your claim.

PAJ

Flight takes MORE than Airspeed and Money ...
sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

CFR wrote:Have a look in the CARS. There is a section on statuatory declarations. I misplaced my log book and wrote a statement that said I had ~ total time with x as PIC y dual, etc. You then declare it in front of a notary (I used a lawyer friend of mine) and keep it with your new log book. I eventually found my original (and I now keep the book and an e-copy) so I never had to face a challenge of what I claimed (by the way, my numbers were pretty close) and it wasn't a lot of time, so TC would not likely question it.

cheers

J
On that note, can you (or anyone else) recommend a good electronic logbook? I really need to make a backup copy of my paper log before something happens...!

Lurch
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Lurch »

A friends log book was burnt up in a plane crash and he had to redo his. He went back through all the JLs he could find and then had it notarized for the remaining guesstimated hours.
sstaurus wrote:On that note, can you (or anyone else) recommend a good electronic logbook? I really need to make a backup copy of my paper log before something happens...!
Search this site, this topic has been beaten to death worse then buying PPCs

Lurch

Electronic Logbook
MS Excel Wizards for Logbook Help
What type of logbook do you use?

Last edited by Widow on Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: To add links
Take my love
Take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care
I'm still free
You cannot take the sky from me
Tinker
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Tinker »

Contact your Aviation Medical Doctor.
Every time you have an aviation medical you must fill out your total time and the hours you flew in the past year.
At least that way, you will have something to show TC and they will know that it's reasonably accurate.

aholenstein
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by aholenstein »

Thanks. Had some copied pages from a previous flight test. That was sufficient for TC.

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

ontact your Aviation Medical Doctor.
Every time you have an aviation medical you must fill out your total time and the hours you flew in the past year.
At least that way, you will have something to show TC and they will know that it's reasonably accurate.
Do people actually complete that with accurate information, I always played with them to see if anyone was recording the information, apparently not or they don,t care. :smt005

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
jschnurr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jschnurr »

aholenstein wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:49 am Thanks. Had some copied pages from a previous flight test. That was sufficient for TC.
Great! Glad to see it only took you 10 YEARS to get this done!

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

i'm on log #5 i have taken the opportunity to scan the first/last pages of my books. I then print the last page on sticky paper, and put in front of new book

aholenstein
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by aholenstein »

jschnurr wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:31 pm
aholenstein wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:49 am Thanks. Had some copied pages from a previous flight test. That was sufficient for TC.
Great! Glad to see it only took you 10 YEARS to get this done!
Hahahah, yes, 10 years to respond... Have been absent from Aviation for a while. Flying just to keep current. But lately I've been craving to fly again and I am even studying for the Multi IFR. You can imagine how hard it is now, being that it's been15 years since I wrote my CPL and never actually had a job flying. I am determined to change that though. I am 41 and not getting any younger. It's about time to fulfill a life long dream.

Happy Flying All. gas has never been cheaper... Lol.

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

Since my kids are home from college eating my food, I should conscript them into data entry and covert mine to digital :)

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
gustind
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by gustind »

Go to Upwork and you will find people in East Asia willing to do it for $4 USD an hour.

Daniel Gustin
Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

JasonE wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 4:59 pm Since my kids are home from college eating my food, I should conscript them into data entry and covert mine to digital :)
They gotta earn their keep somehow.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan

Return to “General Comments”