Interesting Aircrew Fatigue Piece

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Bushav8er
Rank 8
Rank 8

Interesting Aircrew Fatigue Piece

Post by Bushav8er »

From DND's Directorate of flight Safety -

http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/dfs-ds ... p?id=10279

Also, for this time of year, Tail-plane Icing -

http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/dfs-ds ... sp?id=9965
---------- ADS -----------

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Interesting Aircrew Fatigue Piece

Post by trey kule »

Those were interesting pieces, thanks .

It has been nearly 25 years since I got out of uniform. Good to see that the CAF has now come to the realization that people need to sleep...

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
V1 Rotate
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by V1 Rotate »

Now if only civvie operators realized that...

"I have control!"
TheCheez
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by TheCheez »

The sleep study is older and the changes have been in place awhile. Long enough that one of the things being studied now is aircrew over-dependency on sleeping pills.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

mmmmmmm...pills. with vitamins zzzz.

The civilian issue ,I agree, is a serious one. The problem stems from two considerations.
Firstly aircrew are subject, not to provinical regulations, but to federal. And many, many , many operators simply believe the federal people have no teeth and that they can abuse employees. It is not unusual to see people getting paid only if they work 30 days a month, at 9 10 hours a day in the north.
The second is that Tc has provide some regulations, which for example say....3 days rest in 30.
Again, there are more than a few operators that interpret this to mean the maximum time off is 3 days....not the minimum

So what it the solution?

First of all the federal labot regulations have to be enforced, and in some cases, tightened up.
Secondly, TC has to redefine their regualtions so operators can not use the opposite of them...that is minimums become maximums and visa versa.
And lastly, pilots have to start standing up for themselves. As a group they are the most spineless people I have ever met. Willing to backstab their own family member if it will get them to the seat of some heavy iron, work for nothing on the rationale that 10 more are lined up to take the no paying job if they dont. And completely unwilling to stand up to a bad employer..Just slink away....my apologies to those who are not included in this.

When people are working nights, away from base, and on odd pairings, fatigue is going to be an issue. As mentioned, the gutless ones wont complain unless they bump one in and live to tell about it. The employers will take advantage of it. so, and I hate to say it,, we need the regulator to step i.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
pilotidentity
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pilotidentity »

Employers loose a lot of good pilots from burn out. After working a couple years with not much time off the body runs down, pilots start to complain about things that never bothered them before and they quit. The employer is more than happy that the "complainer" quits.

As Trey Cool points out pilots are spineless - one thing that we CAN do to as a PILOT GROUP is to refuse to extend duty days, even if you do it only once in awhile. Saying you are tired and don't feel it would be safe after 14 hours on the job is really not that unreasonable is it? A lot of pilots don't even ask to get paid for this extension.

Return to “General Comments”