Terrorism - 747 Crash in Dubai

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

arsenal
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Terrorism - 747 Crash in Dubai

Post by arsenal »

whoa dude.

my crash-investigation training is zero. im not going to get into a pissing match with an expert.

i thought that it was plausible that the two incidents could be linked. i guess not. by bad. you win. cya
---------- ADS -----------

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

but there are millions of them being shipped and haven't been the cause of an accident yet.
Really?

That's the biggest load of bull yet. Maybe you should do some reasearch.

Start here:
http://evworld.com/currents.cfm?jid=2
http://aviation-safety.net/database/rec ... 20060208-0

This is a most interesting read for those of us that may carry this, or anyone interested in these kinds of fires:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... ntent;col1

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

Hawkerflyer wrote:What about the Air France 330 that went missing over the ocean? Yes, I know "bad pitot tubes"
There was a known issue with Pitot Tubes from one manufacturer - there have been a number of events where they have iced up in severe weather.

I've experienced a few strange indications whilst flying over India during the Monsoon. My Airline has changed the Pitot Tubes in two of our aircraft to those made by a different manufacturer.

The Air France crash is not relevant to this discussion imho.

Back to the topic.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
TheCheez
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by TheCheez »

Some interesting armchair quarterbacking fodder here:

http://gizmodo.com/5678925/a-look-at-th ... idge-bombs

The article is pretty shy on details but I wonder if the bombs were modified before the photos so that they wouldn't be publicizing a working model or if they were really another poorly built threat. Either way there was explosive there, just a question if it could be detonated or not.

Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Widow »

alctel wrote:Rest assured if it really was a terrorist attack then someone would have claimed it - after all that's the whole point, no reason to bomb something if no-one knows you did it or why!

The fact that even one of the smaller groups didn't try to jump on the bandwagon and claim it suggests that it was an accident, and was no way intentional.
Ask and you shall receive?
WASHINGTON — Western officials are crediting a Saudi intelligence tip they received in early October, nearly three weeks before terrorists in Yemen managed to smuggle mail bombs onto airplanes, with heading off what could have been a series of catastrophic explosions aboard jetliners.

The Yemen-based al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula claimed responsibility Friday for sending the two bombs addressed to synagogues in the U.S. and intercepted in Dubai and Britain.

The group also said Friday it was responsible for the crash of a UPS cargo plane in Dubai in September and threatened even more attacks on passenger and cargo aircraft.

Full article from the Huffington Post here.

Former Advocate for Floatplane Safety
alctel
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by alctel »

Yeah I saw that - I am a bit suspicious of their claim for the Dubai one, since they claimed it so many weeks afterwards, and it didn't match the other attempted two.

When a bomb went off in London you'd use to have half a dozen two-bit groups all claiming to have done it.

Return to “General Comments”