Transport Canada Cat 1 Medical Questions

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

critter
Rank 0
Rank 0

Transport Canada Cat 1 Medical Questions

Post by critter »

Hey,

I've been looking at doing my Commercial helicopter license for some time. I hate doctors, and my blood pressure spikes when I'm in their office (known as 'white coat syndrome'). Otherwise it's normal. Anyone have experience with this? Related to this, are you allowed to be on blood pressure medication and still hold a Cat 1 Medical?

Also, I read that less than 1% of applicants fail their medical. Does that sound believable? I have always assumed that it is much higher.

Thanks guys
---------- ADS -----------

McPhoo
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Transport Canada Cat 1 Medical Questions

Post by McPhoo »

Well, I am no doctor so that should be made clear up front, however... It has been my experience that on average, a Cat 1 Medical is not a very thorough measure of ones health, so yes I could see the 1% thing being no too far off. There are some things of course that will sink the ship like being colour blind, major health issues etc but I have flown with a guy that had only one kidney and was on a cabinet full of drugs to keep the one left running. Being certifiably crazy, or having drug addictions may also be a deal breaker. Basically, they make sure your eyesight is within required range or correctable with glasses, check you hearing, measure your blood pressure, check your urine for I don't know what, ask you a few questions about how you are feeling and your family history. Even if you answer yes to some of the questions doesn't mean a fail. Much of it is just to get a broad overview of your general health and risk factors that could come into play in the years ahead. In general, most anyone can hold a Cat 1. If I were you, I'd find your local MOT doc and have a chat about your concerns. Perhaps your BP could be taken in a less stressful environment. As far as the blood pressure meds, I would think that wouldn't be a problem either since there must be a fair number of near retirement pilots on it as well.
Having rambled on as I have, I sure hope a real Doc answers your inquiry!
Good Luck,
McPhoo

There are moments when everything goes well; don't be frightened, it won't last. - Jules Renard
Ralliart
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Ralliart »

You can find a whole bunch of info about the required medical standards on the Transport Canada website.

Navigate thru the different areas of medicine with the links on the right side of the page:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/p ... rd-370.htm

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/r ... 2-1412.htm

ditar
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ditar »

My blood pressure has always been 115 - 120 over 75 in every non-aviation medical exam I've had. The problem is that whenever I go for my aviation medical, the thought of my job being on the line, combined with having waited in a tiny waiting room full of sick people for two hours past my appointment time, stresses me out and the first number is way the hell up there. The doctor always tells me it's a non-issue. So you're definitely not the only one with this problem.

matt777
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by matt777 »

Lots of guys have the white coat syndrome. My doc, lets you relax for a while while he goes through the other stuff, then tests it again. If its still not in the normal range, he'll give you the machine to take home and get a reading there.

structurespilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by structurespilot »

BP meds not a problem. But this envoke them do a battery of blood tests, to look for things like Diabetes, etc. Best do the Cat 1 before you sink any money into training. Better you lose $125 bucks, than finding out you can't fly just before you solo.

Good luck, thats my 2 cents.

sovereign
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sovereign »

Hello Critter: I have the same problem of white coat syndrome, my MOT doctor requests I visit the local drug store and take my blood pressure reading for a period of time and then record it so he can see a trend. My blood pressure has always been in the area of 120-125 over 78-85. Every time I visit him the reading is always 130 over 85 or worse. Just keep a trend record. However Structurepilot's advise is sound, Medical first then start training.

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

I always freak out when I walk in to do the medical... I would imagine my BP is high cause I'm stressing, but the doc always turns to me and says it's perfect.

I find that taking a few deep breaths before the doc walks in, and thinking about happy thoughts always calms me down.

Just make sure you don't induce a high blood pressure by drinking lots of coke or coffee the night prior. I had a friend who went in to do his initial cat 1 the day after he pulled an all nighter on several dr.pepper's and energy drinks. He always has to explain why he failed a cat 1 when he goes in for his renewal. It goes as far as a chuckle and then the stamp goes in his license.

Just go in, do it, and have a list of a few questions to ask your Doctor about how he/she sees the status of your cat 1 developing in the next 5 to 10 years. This will tend to relax you to not worry about it as much as you go in for your renewals.

All the best ! 8)

human garbage
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by human garbage »

Had the same problem. I just go have a few drinks to calm down before my medical. I smell like beer but my BP is great. Your doctor may or may not be cool with that though...

"...flying airplanes is really not all that difficult so it attracts some of the most mentally challenged people in society." - . .

"Baby, stick out your can... 'cause I'm the garbageman"
North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Just like everyone else, my BP and Heartrate spikes every time I go for my Cat 1, cause that's usually the first thing that they check. That being the case, my Doc usually tests me at the beginning and the end, and then averages them. I end up a little higher than 'normal', but well within the OK range. Vision isn't usually a problem in terms of near/far sighted...I'm a bit outside the requirements, but applied for 'flexibility' ('cause I really, really wanted to be a pilot :lol: ) and was given a waiver. Even if you are colourblind, I think that they can still give you a Cat 1, but restricted to Day/VFR only. The urine test, IIRC, tests for protein in the urine, which could mean kidney problems.

It seems to me that as long as you are generally in good health, then you'll be able to get a Cat 1.

:lol: Course, they don't assess your mental health for wanting to spend $70K + for the uncertainty of the aviation job market! :lol:

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

Does anyone know why TC asks for your education level (BSc, Msc, Phd) on the medical?

Do educated people not get sick? Or, not get sick as much as high school dropouts?

KK7
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KK7 »

North Shore wrote:Even if you are colourblind, I think that they can still give you a Cat 1, but restricted to Day/VFR only.
If you are colourblind you are restricted to Daytime only, but you can still get an IFR rating and a CPL. However it is my understanding that you cannot get an ATPL if you have a day time only restriction.

pilotidentity
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pilotidentity »

Blood pressure changes by large amounts during different times of the day so doctors take the reading with a grain of salt - I wouldn't stress about it if it is normal most of the time. If you look healthy then the medical is just a quick 120 bucks added to the cash before he looks at someone who is really unhealthy or sick. If you have a health concern see a doc who isn't your aviation medical examiner.

Return to “General Comments”