Logbook question

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Logbook question

Post by jpilot77 »

Have a quick question for you guys, Cross Country I have three columns: Dual, P.I.C. and night. Would I put Cross Country time as a first officer under dual? Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
nimbostratus
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Logbook question

Post by nimbostratus »

jpilot77 wrote:Have a quick question for you guys, Cross Country I have three columns: Dual, P.I.C. and night. Would I put Cross Country time as a first officer under dual? Thanks.
Sounds like it's time to get a new logbook. Might I recommend an electronic one? If you are just starting out, it is THE BEST time to do it. When you need to update your times for resumes/applications you will save yourself so much grief and headache. If you use a Mac I would recommend LogTen Pro. There is at least one thread you should search here if you want the name of a good PC logbook.
A great feature with an electronic logbook is that if you need to add a column it's no problem, and you can hide the ones you don't need/use. It's the best way to go. I waited until I had more than 4 thousand hours and then switched to electronic. It took me three full days to enter all of my times. Don't make the same mistake I did. Now that I have my LogTen Pro I'll never again be without an electronic log again. It's even got an iphone app to enter your times on the road and then it syncs to your program when you get home.

Good Luck,

Nimbo

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes!

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.
Give him a mask and he will tell the truth." -- Oscar Wilde
Chaxterium
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Chaxterium »

Hey,

I've always put my X-Country FO time under 'Dual'. I definitely agree with what nimbostratus wrote though. An electronic log book is definitely the way to go. I used to use Logbook Pro when I had a PC but I've since swtiched to Logten Pro after I bought my mac and I love it. Worth every penny.

Cheers,

Chax

Pugster
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Pugster »

You might not want to confuse Dual and FO time for when you apply for your ATPL. Dual time is full credit, FO time is only 1/2. Might make it a bit tougher to get the application straight. I second that now's the time to upgrade to an electronic logbook and I also recommend LogTen Pro if you're a Mac (or iPad) user.

Not sure where you're at in your career, but having the ability to log flights easily will keep you from winding up way behind in your books.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

Are you ever going to fly Dual at night for any significant amount of hours? If not, cross out "Dual" and write "Co-Pilot" in the column and fill it away, starting from 0 at the top of the next page.

Going for the deck at corner
BingBong
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by BingBong »

I've got two blank columns at the end of my logbook...I just made one of them Copilot Xcnty

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

Thanks for the replys, I'm gonna use one of the blank columns and I should start lookin into an electronic logbook as well.

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

What would be a good electronic logbook for a PC? I do have an iphone but my laptop and desktop are PC and I'm not about to change them for Macs. So is there a electronic logbook that will work on an iphone and a pc?

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

Just keep in mind that "Dual" means you are receiving instruction from a qualified pilot to either upgrade qualifications or are regaining proficiency whereas "co-pilot" means you are acting as a qualified crew member. Just log it in any column empty in your log book and annotate the top of the column.

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
Pugster
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Pugster »

I believe Logbook Pro is a PC based logbook that you can sync with your iPhone. I used Safelog in the past and it let me do that as well, although I wasn't the biggest fan of the software. I'm pretty sure that most of the PC logbooks have added iPhone functionality.

Later on if you make the switch to Mac, you can export your data and import it into your Mac software which will save you a whack of time.

Tiny Tyke
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tiny Tyke »

I use to use Aloft Flightlog for PC before I switched to Mac - Logten Pro.

It will definitely fulfill all your basic needs.

wyndham
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by wyndham »

what do you do when you go for an interview? Just print out the last few pages? And what about getting your times certified? or does no one really care about that anymore?

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

Because it's electronic doesn't mean you can't keep a hard copy up to date and certified. Printers exist you know.

Going for the deck at corner
KK7
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KK7 »

AuxBatOn wrote:Printers exist you know.
Wow! And this whole time I've been copying documents by hand from the computer screen! If I was in a rush, I'd put my computer screen on the photocopier.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Does co-pilot cross country time count for anything? I've never logged it.

Return to “General Comments”