Single pilot multi-IFR operations??

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

traveller123
Rank 2
Rank 2

Single pilot multi-IFR operations??

Post by traveller123 »

Hi,

I was quarrel with an old private pilot told me that you can't fly a multi aircraft for commercial operations alone, is it right? I did some search in the AIP but I found nothing. I know that if the aircraft is less than 12 500 pounds or 20 seats you can fly it alone. But there is a difference if it's for commercial operations? I always see King Air aircrafts with two pilots, but i guess it's for cut insurance costs.

thanx
---------- ADS -----------

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Single pilot multi-IFR operations??

Post by jpilot77 »

Of course you are allowed to fly multi aircraft below 12 500 for commercial operators single pilot. The only way you aren't able to is if the flight is IFR and the pilot has less than 1000 hours total, then there must be a second pilot onboard.

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
Pratt
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pratt »

Also need a functioning auto pilot.

Hawkeye4077
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Hawkeye4077 »

Functionning auto-pilot... HA!! :)

skybaron
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by skybaron »

I believe KD air from vancouver island operates single pilot ifr.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

For commuter ops:
704.106 No air operator shall operate an aircraft with fewer than two pilots, where the aircraft

(a) is an aeroplane carrying 10 or more passengers; or

(b) is carrying passengers and is being operated in IFR flight.

For air taxi, it's a little different and you can do it if it's in your ops manual and:
723.86 Minimum Crew

Single Pilot IFR Requirements

The standard for the operation of an aeroplane with passengers on board in IFR flight without a second-in-command is:

(1) the pilot shall have a minimum of 1000 hours of flight time which shall include, if the type to be flown is multi-engined, 100 hours on multi-engined aeroplanes. In addition, the pilot shall have 50 hours of simulated or actual flight in IMC, and a total of 50 hours flight time on the aeroplane type;

(2) the Pilot Proficiency Check shall be in the aeroplane type flown or if applicable in one of the types grouped for Pilot Proficiency Check renewals and shall include the following:

(a) knowledge of the auto-pilot operations and limitations;

(b) performance of normal and emergency procedures without assistance;

(c) passenger briefing with respect to emergency evacuation; and

(d) demonstration of the use of the auto-pilot during appropriate phases of flight;

(3) flight in pressurized aeroplanes shall be conducted at or below FL 250; and

(4) a pilot's single pilot proficiency, if still valid, is transferable between air operators which have an Air Operator Certificate authority to conduct such operations and utilize the same type and model of aeroplane.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Forget 12 500. It depends on the type certificate of the aircraft.

traveller123
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by traveller123 »

Ok, thanx for your answers.

For commercial operations :
-if it's VFR, there's no problems but it's maximum 9 passengers. If you're IFR in a C172 or a King Air (any aircraft) you need two pilots until at least one have 1000 hours.

And if a company buy an aircraft for his own operations and I pilot for them (I don't have 1000 hours) IFR a C206 they will have to hire a co-pilot?

So, as the 704.106 if I have a Twin Otter, I could fly it pilot single pilot if it's for me and if it's for commercial operations I need a co-pilot? But the co-pilot can't log any hours? Because in the certificate of the aircraft you can fly it alone.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

The rules for a company that buys an aircraft for its own purposes are up in the air because TC is taking back control of these operations but typically if the aircraft is certified single pilot, it is flown single pilot. There were no special requirement for this. For 703 Air Taxi (charters on aircraft with 9 or less passengers like King Airs) you can operate single pilot IFR after meeting the requirements listed above.

If a co-pilot is required, either because the aircraft is certified 2 crew or because the CARs require it (IFR passenger carrying) or if the company's ops manual requires it then that co-pilot will need to be trained and certified, and logs the time.

PunkStarStudios
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PunkStarStudios »

Let's take the Navajo.

Flown privately you only need single pilot (IFR, etc.).
If you fly it for charter or something like that where there are paying customers, you need 2 pilots.

However, if a company buys a Navajo for their own use (shuffling clients and staff around - ie no money changing hands), they are not obligated to operate under a commercial OC. They are operating it privately. So they only need one pilot for all operations.

arctic navigator
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by arctic navigator »

2 factors take part in figuring when SPIFR is allowed flying COMMERCIALLY ie. for hire or reward.
2 factors take part in figuring when SPIFR is allowed flying PRIVATELY.

COMMERCIAL:

1. Is the aircraft type certified and equipped for single pilot operations?
2. Is the company approved for single pilot operations?
For commercial ops, the default in the ops manual is 2 crew, the exception is single pilot. There is a list of the minimum required training, experience, and equipment (posted above) that will be listed in the ops manual.

The MTOW has no bearing on if the aircraft can be flown single pilot or not. eg. the Beech 1900D is certified for SPIFR per the Type Certificate, however it depends on if its flown under 604 or 704 and to whether it can be flown single pilot.

The majority of PA31's flown commercially in Canada have been flown Single Pilot, however many companies are now going 2 crew for a couple reasons; one is to keep clients and insurance companies happy, the other is its cheaper to hire someone for the right seat than it is to fix or replace the autopilot.

PRIVATE:
1. Is the aircraft type certified for single pilot operations?
2. Will your insurance allow you to fly single pilot?
Transport is taking back 604 (turbine/pressurized) operations from the CBAA. That will end up either going private as it essentially is now, or it will go commercial requiring all the operators to get 703 or 704 AOC's.

PunkStarStudios
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PunkStarStudios »

Good reply Artic. :-)

skybaron
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by skybaron »

arctic navigator wrote: The majority of PA31's flown commercially in Canada have been flown Single Pilot, however many companies are now going 2 crew for a couple reasons; one is to keep clients and insurance companies happy, the other is its cheaper to hire someone for the right seat than it is to fix or replace the autopilot.
Too true, yet very sad.

Return to “General Comments”