Plane rentals YYC

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Plane rentals YYC

Post by Beefitarian »

So now all the schools are YBW, Highriver etc. I guess flying out of YYC is no longer an option or is there some one that rents to licensed pilots. Private not current just over 300 hours. Married with children so I can't really afford to fly but still want to.

What are the rental rates and who does everyone like? I don't mind the Calgary flying club but if I can save $20 everytime I fly I want to know.

I know how to find the Calgary Flying Club's rate page, http://www.calgaryflyingclub.com/rates.html
I can't seem to find anyone else's online. It was easier to use a yellow pages years ago.
---------- ADS -----------

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Plane rentals YYC

Post by Beefitarian »

I guess it's only been 5 days but no one replied. I did get a PM so maybe that will lead to something but wow.

Are the days of renting a plane and flying just too cost prohibitive now or is everyone here a commercial pilot, plane owner, student or something? I thought someone here would be a private pilot / renter.

ybwflyguy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ybwflyguy »

You'll find most schools reluctant to rent to you unless you're a commercial student building up time. Profit margins are small, and risk is high with infrequent renters.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Thank you.

Maybe the concept of a middle class person renting airplanes and flying for pleasure might be dead due to costs and risks. I guess I'm lucky to have been able to participate in it when it was going on.

mike53
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by mike53 »

ybwflyguy wrote:You'll find most schools reluctant to rent to you unless you're a commercial student building up time. Profit margins are small, and risk is high with infrequent renters.
Maybe they do things different out west but the idea of any flight school being reluctant to rent you a plane is certainly alien out here in the east.I too was out of the loop for a long time .When I came back every school I called simply told me of the recency requirements and welcomed me to come see them.I wound up going to the lowest cost per hour rental place which happened to be at Tillsonburg airport .I spent 8 hrs with the instructor fulfilling the recency requirements,had my log book stamped ok passed the PSTAR and now enjoy flying once a month,more when I can afford it.

I suspect it really isn't any different there.

To be a man is, precisely, to be responsible.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Unless things have changed, Calgary Flying Club will be happy to rent to you (but you'll have to do a checkout first). The whole idea of being a 'flying club' is that they exist to serve renters like you. They have an online booking system making it easy to schedule - see here:

http://s11.myfbo.com/d/direct.asp?fbo=cafc

As you can see they have pretty good availability especially on their 182 and DA20s.

Their rates page hasn't been updated since January, so I'm not sure how accurate it is - best to phone them.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

I had a flying student a few years back that recommended a club in Olds/Didsbury I think. He described it as more of a cooperative where the members were from all walks of life many of them were or had been instructors and would check you out and I think you had to buy a share in the plane.

Once the novelty of flying out of yyc wears off you realise you're just paying extra money for all the delays and taxi time. See if there's anything at Airdrie, or any other small satellite communities to Calgary.

kevind
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by kevind »

Olds/Disbury is great, but is a true club. Work Parties, you fuel yourself, you should be a part of the club and not a customer.

Calgary Flying Club is really a club in name only and really just another FTU. They are a bit better than average to renters, but the bar is pretty low so average is not that good.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

The flying club has allways been more of a FTU in a lot of ways since I have been around but it was a little more friendly in the '90s. Sigh, and two thirds less expensive. [/oldguytalk]

Part of the novelty for me to fly out of YYC would be the 4 - 6 minute drive from my house if I hit the lights right.

Lurch
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Lurch »

Over the last few years the club has shifted away from being a "club" and has become a FTU. They have moved away from having rental aircraft and purchased training aircraft.

My best suggestion would be get checked out on the 182 at the "Club" and fly it on the Saturday sorties. The Sorties are arranged through "Club" members and happen every weekend, some have more planes then others. If you get in with the Sortie group it will open a lot of doors. There are a few that will swap rides, so one weekend you rent and are PIC and the next you sit right seat in somebody else's plane, if available. Fly twice as much but only half the cost.

Once you are known to the group there may be a opportunity to "Cost Recover" from one of these private owners. Most don't advertise and only "Cost Recover" to those they know.

Good Luck

Lurch

Take my love
Take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care
I'm still free
You cannot take the sky from me
tester
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tester »

I fly charters out of YYC and, as far as I'm aware, there are no rental aircraft available anywhere on the field now - it's just too expensive! Also, on most days, there are long line-ups waiting to get airborne and flow restrictions getting back into the field - believe me, it's not the place to go fun flying!

YBW can also get busy these days, but at least you can rent there and, if you're flexible on when you fly, you can pick a quieter time. As others have already mentioned the Calgary Flying Club would be happy to rent to you after you've done a check-out and they have a selection of aircraft for you to choose from: C172, C182 and DA20. Two of their DA20s have the glass panel option. You would need to join the Club ($125 per year from January 2011) but that would get you about 5 cents/litre fuel discount at the club pump and 1 free instructional hour per year (worth about $80 at current rates), plus other member benefits. Call Dispatch for the latest rental prices - (403)-288-8831 or just go out there and look around. (Note: the CFC website is being revamped so rental prices may not be up to date at the moment).

By the way, just to set the record straight, the Club does have a busy FTU, but it would be misleading to say that it has shifted away from being a Club. If you can get out there on Saturday, December 18th, for the Club Christmas Open House, you will be able to see for yourself whether it's a club or not.

Hope you get flying somewhere!

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Sorry tester, it is still a club 3-6 times a year. I probably won't be out on the 18th. Though I will likely renew my membership before the price goes up. I'm still bitter they don't give me a spiffy wallet card anymore.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Well I renewed my CalgaryFlight Training Unit Flying Club membership and viewed the price increase.

$145 wet + tax for a 172.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

If anyone's curious I went to Skywings at Oakatoks. They're expecting a small increase but they rent 172s from the 1970s for $133 +tax wet.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

You might also want to have a look at the Olds Didsbury flying club:

http://www.odfa.ca/

As mentioned above it is a more of a small co-operative than an FTU. I've never been a member, but one of the guys here used to fly there and he seemed happy with it. It looks interesting.

structurespilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by structurespilot »

I've been an ODFA member for years. Its for sure the best prices around YYC. Check their website if you want. Its $300 down as a damage deposit, which you get back when you quit, if you've done no harm of course. Standard check ride. Attend some free ground school / meetings, and put in a bit of labour in the fall and spring for clean up, etc. C150 goes for $91/hr wet, and they have a Cherokee 180 for around 135/hr wet. www.odfa.ca
Its about 90km drive from YYC, thats the bad part. Not bad if you live in Airdrie, or North..
Enjoy, fly safe...

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Thanks, Olds just seems a bit too far to drive. It definately sounds like a nice club.

I remember it was a pretty short flight from YYC when a pilot I know went to fuel up his 185 one time because the fuel rate was the best in the area.

Return to “General Comments”