Hello ;)

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

NewB
Rank 0
Rank 0

Hello ;)

Post by NewB »

Hello I am new to this forum as I am sure you can all tell I am currently completing my private pilot's licence and will be moving away next month to get my commercial pilots licence and was wondering if anyone could give me advice on the current status of the aviation industry more specifically if I should get an instructor rating their i was advised by my flight instructor that it would be a good idea to get but I've heard from a family friend who is a pilot for the RCMP that it may not be a good idea? Any advice really appreciated and I will apologizes ahead of time if this is the wrong area to post this or if this seems more or less nonprofessional or an improper question so I will apologize before hand because I am not to sure if this is an appropriate question or location for the question and very nice forum you guys have here :o
---------- ADS -----------

CPLMike89
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Hello ;)

Post by CPLMike89 »

Hey NewB,

First off welcome to the forum you can find alot of info here and its a great networking tool. From one low-time pilot to another Ill try to give you my best insight on our industry. The first piece of advice Ill give you is think ahead but dont get to far ahead of yourself. Finish your PPL and your CPL and absorb every bit of information you can, take time and dont rush into things. As for the current job market Ive been told and noticed that a few more jobs are becoming available for those of us at the bottom of the ladder but this could go either way very quickly. As for getting your intructor rating Its a good way to go as you will build lots of experience and become very proficient in both the flying aspects and the theory side. This being said instructing is not the only road into the industry, I worked the ramp for a few years before getting that first aerial work job but its all a matter of preference. Hiring for instructors at the moment is very slow and there are quite a few unemployed class 4's out there still but once again this could pick up very quickly or not at all. Either way you decide to go its your choice just make sure you do it for the right reasons. Anyways once again welcome and best of luck!

Mike W

looproll
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by looproll »

Welcome to the forum! This question has been asked many times by many people.
advised by my flight instructor that it would be a good idea to get but I've heard from a family friend who is a pilot for the RCMP that it may not be a good idea?
Of course your flight instructor would advise you it's a good idea, that's why he is employed right now! Pilot for the RCMP said otherwise? Why? Did he give you any good reasons? Here is my experience for what it's worth: I know many guys that have worked the ramp for many years and are still nowhere. None of them bothered with an instructor rating for one reason or another. I know many guys (myself included) that started off as instructors and are now set for life. Sure, some are not inclined to be instructors, but for me it was very rewarding and opened the doors to other great adventures and opportunities. I loved it and I still keep my rating valid. Good luck with your career.

BibleMonkey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by BibleMonkey »

NewB wrote:Hello.
I am new to this forum as I am sure you can all tell.

I am currently completing my private pilot's licence and will be moving away next month to get my commercial pilots licence and was wondering if anyone could give me advice on the current status of the aviation industry .

More specifically; if I should get an instructor rating . I was advised by my flight instructor that it would be a good idea to get , but I've heard from a family friend who is a pilot for the RCMP that it may not be a good idea.

Any advice really appreciated ,and I will apologizes ahead of time if this is the wrong area to post this or if this seems more or less nonprofessional or an improper question -so I will apologize before hand, because I am not to sure if this is an appropriate question or location for the question.

And very nice forum you guys have here :o
Hello-and welcome to the forum.

I had nothing to do while waiting for some water to boil ( To find out why I am boiling water, you would have to buy and read my semi-Autobiographical short manual " Home surgery made easy " ) so I edited your post for grammar and white space. Not easy to do with with three missing fingers, but I'm glad to help where I can.

Your family friend RCMP pilot probably is in a position to offer good advice, so I would give his experienced voice some weight.

....Any advice really appreciated...

I only use an airplane to count my cows-so my best suggestion is not to fly any where that there is an asphalt runway-it attracts too many other airplanes, and noisy radios.

Buy some sheep-here are the current prices:

http://www.agr.gc.ca/redmeat/spec-espe_eng.htm#sheep

Don't buy the goats, ( unless you like chasing escaped animals and getting your stuff chewed up ) , Horses are the most fun to count from an airplane, but you can't make any money with horses.

Don't buy cows, they're too easy to count; counting sheep is more fun than counting cows from an airplane.

If you want to just fly an airplane for money-without cows, sheep, or goats of your own to make money with that need counting from the airplane -well, that just sounds silly to me.

Best of luck , though, whatever you decide.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

NewB, as others have said, worry about getting your CPL first, and doing your best at it, before you worry about what to do after you have it. By the time that you have your licence, you'll have a bunch more knowledge, and be much better equipped to make further career decisions..

My $.02.

Good Luck!

eta: Ps: Punctuation, dude! :rolleyes:

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Dagwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Dagwood »

"Let's eat Grandma!"
or
"Let's eat, Grandma!"

Punctuation saves lives. :wink:

As an answer to your question, get your CPL, then decide what you want to do... there is no one-size-fits-all answer to your question.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

I also would not commit to anything without a real prospect of a job or a job offer. When you get to the point of having to decide, gather up information and then decide. If the club you are at is pushing the instructor route without an offer of employment, then they are likely pushing it on other students as well, upselling if you will. I would think most who go the instructor route have an offer on the table, otherwise why would you, unless you really want to instruct. Of course if you can afford to get the instructor rating and Multi-ifr at the same time, you doulble your chances of employment.
Myself, I couldn't afford both, so I went the multi-ifr route and if you don't have rich parents which ever route you choose will be the only route for awhile. By that I mean, if you go the instructor route and then get a job instructing, you won't be making enough money to fund your multi-ifr rating for quite a long time.

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
NewB
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by NewB »

Thanks for all the responses, and I will focus on my Commercial license as it was suggested by a few of you. And I am sorry about the punctuations and horrible grammar I was unaware that this would be important. And the reason I was suggested this by my flight instructor was that I should be 19 by the time I complete my commercial pilots licence and from their experience when you are a younger pilot you will get over looked a lot of the time and will probably spend about four or five years working at a ramp job when you would probably be better of building pilot in command hours as an instructor. So I am not to sure about that if thats a perception or if that is the truth does anyone know if age will matter or will actually skills as a pilot and marks/grades in commercial licence program matter more?

RVgrin
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RVgrin »

Dagwood wrote: Punctuation saves lives. :wink:
And possible embarrassment. Consider the sentence:
“Helping your uncle, Jack, off his horse”

Hawkerflyer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hawkerflyer »

Dagwood wrote:"Let's eat Grandma!"
or
"Let's eat, Grandma!"

Punctuation saves lives. :wink:
:lol:

"Six of us broke formation, five Jerries and I". - George "Buzz" Beurling
bandaid
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by bandaid »

NewB,
Welcome to Avcanada!
The punctuation police will bust your chops here every time, the fun thing to do is catch them a time or two.
Enjoy your time in here. You develope thick skin after a while and learn to take the ribbing. It is not unlike recess in kindergarden, there is always a bully or two around but most of the time they are just giving you a hard time.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

The punctuation police will bust your chops here every time,
You might be correct, Bandaid; however, aviation/aviators are, on the whole, fairly conservative, and when a resume comes in the mail or email that sounds as if its been written by a slightly breathless 15 year old girl in a hurry to get to her next text then said resumes tend to get filtered towards the garbage can rather than the call this person for an interview pile certainly at one of my past jobs that was one of my criteria for rejecting an applicant NewB might as well start learning that now otherwise in about two years well be treated to yet another about how difficult it is to get a job in this industry and does anyone have any ideas cause hes a really good guy and needs a job... :wink:

bandaid
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by bandaid »

North Shore wrote:
You might be correct, Bandaid; however, aviation/aviators are, on the whole, fairly conservative, and when a resume comes in the mail or email that sounds as if its been written by a slightly breathless 15 year old girl in a hurry to get to her next text then said resumes tend to get filtered towards the garbage can rather than the call this person for an interview pile certainly at one of my past jobs that was one of my criteria for rejecting an applicant NewB might as well start learning that now otherwise in about two years well be treated to yet another about how difficult it is to get a job in this industry and does anyone have any ideas cause hes a really good guy and needs a job... :wink:
No doubt North Shore. The part about catching them in a mistake is my way of getting him to watch his grammar and hopefully learning from watching others without putting it so bluntly. Just trying to be friendly.

looproll
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by looproll »

Big Pistons Forever has a great post about getting an instructor rating

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=69064

OceansEdge
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by OceansEdge »

North Shore wrote:
No word of a lie - I once received a resume written in crayon - it got circular filed before I got past the 'Dear Chief Dispatcher'

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

Northshore wrote;
You might be correct, Bandaid; however, aviation/aviators are, on the whole, fairly conservative, and when a resume comes in the mail or email that sounds as if its been written by a slightly breathless 15 year old girl in a hurry to get to her next text then said resumes tend to get filtered towards the garbage can rather than the call this person for an interview pile certainly at one of my past jobs that was one of my criteria for rejecting an applicant NewB might as well start learning that now otherwise in about two years well be treated to yet another about how difficult it is to get a job in this industry and does anyone have any ideas cause hes a really good guy and needs a job...
Not sure if this was intentional, considering the response was about punctuation police. That is one of the longest run on sentences I've seen, look at it, it's a paragraph long but not a single period. :?

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

^ Prezactly!

beaverbob
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by beaverbob »

Just what I thought;

Excisely! :rolleyes:

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

OceansEdge wrote:No word of a lie - I once received a resume written in crayon - it got circular filed before I got past the 'Dear Chief Dispatcher'
This would be in a frame on a wall if I had my way.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

OceansEdge wrote:
North Shore wrote:
No word of a lie - I once received a resume written in crayon - it got circular filed before I got past the 'Dear Chief Dispatcher'
At least they were making sure that their resume would stick out in a pile of black and white typed resume's.

Return to “General Comments”