$100 Hamburger

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

$100 Hamburger

Post by cdnpilot77 »

I am looking for places within about 100nm +/- of CYKF with restaurants at the airport. Preferrably looking for higher end restaurants but open to suggestions for any type.

I know of and been to Katana Cafe at yxu, Runways at ykf, FUD at CNV8.

What about Sarnia, Saugeen, Goderich, Wiarton, Collingwood, Oshawa, St. Catherines, Windsor, St. Thomas, Tillsonburg or any others? Trying to burn up some 100LL in da beav getting the boss flying as much as possible and he will go along anytime I suggest a fly-in lunch.

Thanks
CP77
---------- ADS -----------

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Pardon me for being nit picky but you seem to have spelled $337 wrong.

Bushav8er
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: $100 Hamburger

Post by Bushav8er »

Is it on skis yet? Time to think outside the box, its a go anywhere machine now. Try resorts / restaurants in less common spots, should be along a road so that they stand a better chance of being open now. Haliburton, Elmhurst.

Ice isn't good yet, save this for later, unless you know a good field.

Having fun with "da beav" I take it :wink:

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Beaver? Nice, I seem to have spelled the price wrong also. Boy is my face red, or more likely green with jealousy.

C-FABH
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by C-FABH »

I'm told that Hanover/Saugeen is a good spot. Also, the cafe at Lindsay is decent (well known for the best butter tarts and rice pudding around). Although slightly farther, everyone I talk to that's been to Killarney raves about the fish and chips

Bushav8er
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Bushav8er »

everyone I talk to that's been to Killarney raves about the fish and chips
Indeed but check first, this time of year they are probably closed for the season.

Try Tobermory, short taxi to town but nice.

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

Bushav8er, Not putting it on skis this year unfortunately, but yes loving it. Have had another member of the avcanada world along for a couple of rides which has been a lot of fun. Anyways, we plan on going to Elmhirst & Henry's among others when the ice melts. Is the restaurant at Saugeen similar to Runways in Kitchener? It looks it from the pic on the website.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

For info on the Killarney fish and chip place, call Herbert Fisheries at 705-287-2214 but I believe they close down around October and open again in the spring.

LnS.

mike53
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by mike53 »

To be a man is, precisely, to be responsible.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Bushav8er
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Bushav8er »

cdnpilot77 wrote:Bushav8er, Not putting it on skis this year unfortunately, but yes loving it. Have had another member of the avcanada world along for a couple of rides which has been a lot of fun. Anyways, we plan on going to Elmhirst & Henry's among others when the ice melts. Is the restaurant at Saugeen similar to Runways in Kitchener? It looks it from the pic on the website.
Glad you're enjoying it, if you are up this way stop by.

Edelweiss air
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Edelweiss air »

cdnpilot77 wrote:Bushav8er, Not putting it on skis this year unfortunately, but yes loving it. Have had another member of the avcanada world along for a couple of rides which has been a lot of fun. Anyways, we plan on going to Elmhirst & Henry's among others when the ice melts. Is the restaurant at Saugeen similar to Runways in Kitchener? It looks it from the pic on the website.
The restaraunt in Hanover is somewhat similar to Runways. They do a Sunday brunch buffet which draws a lot of rec flyers every weekend ,at least in the summer months. Not sure if they do that in the winter. They do have good Breakfast though. Brantford has a nice little restaurant as well located inside the Brantford flying club. Speaking of Runways, they are now under new management. They just opened up a while ago, but it has some potential.
Are you based out of YKF ?

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

Edelweiss air wrote:
The restaraunt in Hanover is somewhat similar to Runways. They do a Sunday brunch buffet which draws a lot of rec flyers every weekend ,at least in the summer months. Not sure if they do that in the winter. They do have good Breakfast though. Brantford has a nice little restaurant as well located inside the Brantford flying club. Speaking of Runways, they are now under new management. They just opened up a while ago, but it has some potential.
Are you based out of YKF ?
Based at Reids field actually. Thanks for the info, I was at runways last week, it was pretty good...service was still questionable though even with all new people.

Rudderless
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rudderless »

Parry Sound. Not fancy surroundings, but the food is absolutely worth the trip. Always worth a phone call, though, wherever you go, to make sure if/when places are open.

crj_705
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by crj_705 »

My son always used to go to Oshawa Airport as there is a Mandarin Restaurant across the street

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

cdnpilot77 wrote:What about Sarnia....
Thanks
CP77
Nothing on site in Sarnia, but I know Huron Flight Centre has lent a car out in the past (call ahead). Nice breakfast joint just down the road; John's Restaurant.

Shoot me a PM if you're down this way, I'd be more than happy to go for breaky or drive you around ol' Sarn-barn.

--Air to Ground Chemical Transfer Technician turned 4 Bar Switch Flicker and Flap Operator--
cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cgzro »

Well a bit more than 100nm, more like 200 I guess but why not pop into CYND, visit Vintage Wings flying muesum and have an excellent french canadian pea soup at L'aileron resturant.

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

Adam Oke wrote:
Thanks
CP77
Nothing on site in Sarnia, but I know Huron Flight Centre has lent a car out in the past (call ahead). Nice breakfast joint just down the road; John's Restaurant.

Shoot me a PM if you're down this way, I'd be more than happy to go for breaky or drive you around ol' Sarn-barn.

Sounds great Adam, thank you...any good 4-5 star restaurants close by?

Guido
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Guido »

cdnpilot77 wrote:
Adam Oke wrote:
Thanks
CP77

Sounds great Adam, thank you...any good 4-5 star restaurants close by?
Everything's close in Sarnia ;) Downtown, there's "On The Front", which is AMAZING and "Waggs" is also great for their prime rib. They'd be about 10-15 minutes from the airport... right near the airport is "The Brigantine", which I've always thought was great, but reading some reviews it seems to have gone downhill a bit since the last time I was there.

BingBong
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by BingBong »

Adam Oke wrote:
I Aways used to fly from YKF to YZR for the BEST PANZEROTTI EVER. They have good pasta too. 5 min cab ride from the airport. You won't be disappointed.

Sicily Restaurant & Pizzeria
1754 London Line
Sarnia, ON N7W 1A1
(519) 542-7782

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

Hanover Saugeen has a great restaurant, I'm pretty sure Tobermory (the town) is closed for the season.

If you come near Barrie come into Springwater, short taxi/bus trip to some good restaurants as the Airport is basically in town. let me know and I'll come say Hi!

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s ... 61369&z=14

She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!

Return to “General Comments”