IATRA exam

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

fun_times
Rank 1
Rank 1

IATRA exam

Post by fun_times »

Hey all.

Just wondering if anyone has written the IATRA lately and if they have some tips or hints. I already did a search on here to see what people have said and found it very helpful. But I have been away from non bush flying for awhile and will take / find all the help I can.

Also could someone explain the following: (i have tried to find answers to these items but have not had much luck, currently have the newest AIM and aerocourse books on order)

1. What is EPR???

2. What is all this about calculating CP/PNR????

3. This Q might be dumb but is there alot of IFR stuff on the exam? Minimum, plates, alts etc??? Or is that more of an ATPL thing?

:prayer: :prayer: Thanks to everyone in advance for the helpful replies. :prayer: :prayer: :prayer:
---------- ADS -----------

Alpha Crit
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: IATRA exam

Post by Alpha Crit »

Engine pressure ratio (EPR). The ratio of turbine discharge pressure divided by compressor inlet pressure, which is used as an indication of the amount of thrust being developed by a turbine engine.

fun_times
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by fun_times »

wooo hooo thanks. I just found it online too. Can't wait to read the Turbine Pilots Flight Manual!!!

Go Juice
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Go Juice »

Know ALL the W&B formulas. The rest is basic knowledge and a lot of common sense. Just make sure you know the formulas. Lemac and all that stuff.. overall a pretty easy exam. shouldn't take you more than a week end to study for.

A device is yet to be invented that will measure my indifference to this remark.
traveller123
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by traveller123 »

Am I wrong, or the exam is only valid for two years if you don't have a PPC on a minimum 2 crew aircraft?

thanx

KK7
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KK7 »

traveller123 wrote:Am I wrong, or the exam is only valid for two years if you don't have a PPC on a minimum 2 crew aircraft?

thanx
This is correct.

fun_times
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by fun_times »

Thanks for the tips guys. :prayer:

Is Aerocourse just as good as .?

joco
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by joco »

I've attended Aerocourse for IFR and ATPL/IATRA. I am a very happy customer. They are worth every penny.

joco
KK7
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KK7 »

joco wrote:I've attended Aerocourse for IFR and ATPL/IATRA. I am a very happy customer. They are worth every penny.
+1

Money well spent.

railroad
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by railroad »

After avoiding the ATPL exams for awhile due to the dread of studying, I decided to just spend the $540 to attend a weekend Aerocourse. I thought it would be quick and easy way out of all that studying.

After mentioning this to a "wise beyond his years" Captain, he reminded me that all that bread could be converted into 10 flats of cold cans. I skipped the course and bought the beer. WORTH EVERY PENNY!!

(a mere 2 years later, I had my A's)

tdp19
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tdp19 »

Did it last year, a few questions on point of no return, weight and balance (related to x-country), best way to avoid birds (they dive down and to left), whats considered a high performance a/c... stuff like that, generally a very easy exam... goodluck

AtlanticTour
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AtlanticTour »

I'd go with Aerocourse too. Very efficient, and they go everywhere.

BingBong
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by BingBong »

fun_times wrote:What is EPR???
Alpha Crit got it right...
fun_times wrote:What is all this about calculating CP/PNR????
Both are VERY similar formulae, but are VERY easy to remember.
Critical Point essentially is the point along your route of flight in which you can experiance an engine failure (not sure if its the critical one) and it will take the same time to continue to the planned destination or to return to your origin.

Whereas;

Point of No Return, speaks for itself. The point at which, due to fuel consumption, a plane is no longer capable of returning to its origin.

I wrote the IATRA about 5 years ago....fairly straight forward. Like everyone said....if you go through the Cul**ne ATPL book you'd be all good to go.....HOWEVER:

IF you have 1/2 the total time requirements for the ATPL, and you plan on applying for a job where you get a type rating....WRITE THE FREAKIN ATPL EXAMS....myself I had 250 hours when I got my first type rating....but if you DO have 1/2 the requirements for the ATPL, just study and write the ATPL exams, get your type rating, then the exams are good for life until you can fulfill the hourly requirements. I just wrote (and passed...yay!) the A's and wished I woulda had done things this way....It saves having to study twice. If you have any other Q's feel free to PM me!

Cheers,
Bingbong

tdp19
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tdp19 »

Hey Guys,

I agree with what BILLABONG said for the most part in his last post, but I did my Iatra a year and a bit ago. I was pretty sure that i wonuldnt hit the time requirements for ATPL before it expired which is why I did my Iatra instead of the ATPL exams. The ATPL expires after two years after being written if you dont have the requirements (If im wrong please correct me...) I have been copilot on BE20 for past year (had around 1000hrs when I started), but seeing how I can only count half time towards ATPL it seems pointless to write the ATP`s twice. My advice would be, if your a low time guy (below 1000 hrs and flying as copilot), study as if your writting the ATPL (. book is great) and write the IATRA, this way when you do study for the ATPL it will come back to quick. Hope this helps.

tdp

Return to “General Comments”