Information on flying in Japan

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Harry Dunn
Rank 0
Rank 0

Information on flying in Japan

Post by Harry Dunn »

Are there any expats from Canada flying in Japan. I see lots of jobs available but I need more info before making the decision to leave Canada. Is it really worth it?
---------- ADS -----------

LegoMan
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Information on flying in Japan

Post by LegoMan »

There are Canadians working in Japan through agencies (Hawaii Aviation, PARC.. etc.) They are all contract jobs flying freight or passengers but not for the mainline carriers directly but through their subsidiary carriers (JAL Cargo, NCA, Air Japan). The main carriers will not hire expats (it used to be different). My information may be a little dated so if it is, someone will correct me. Money is not as good as it used to be you can probably get a better deal flying in China.

willing to fly
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Information on flying in Japan

Post by willing to fly »

Money isn't everything. That's what I keep telling Mrs. Willing ever since I started flying for a living...I would take Japan over China any day for the lifestyle, safety and the Japanese onsen (hotsprings).
There aren't a ton of opportunities right now. There used to be a lot more. Depending on your experience, you can find yourself doing a contract for ANA on either the Q400 or the 767. Because of restructuring and layoffs, JAL isn't really looking for anyone. I don't think that any of the other carriers (ie Skymark, Fuji dream) have any program to process foreign pilots.
there is a process that you can use to convert your license on your own but it's pretty complex. Best to use a contract company like Parc. Once hired through them, ANA will take the first two months to get you all converted and used to wearing the little white gloves.
I know someone who has done the Q400 contract and he was quite happy there. There are posts online from people who hated every minute of their time there. In my opinion, they weren't interested in living the Japanese lifestyle and weren't prepared to work for a Japanese company. The employment rules are quite different than they are in the west. In my opinion, you will be treated well, you just don't have the same rights as you are probably used to.
I'm not flying there right now but I do know a bit about it. You're welcome to PM me for any specific info.
Ganbatte (good luck).

Return to “General Comments”