"No phone calls please!"

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

skybaron
Rank 4
Rank 4

"No phone calls please!"

Post by skybaron »

Rant.

For all you so-called employers posting ads for employment. . .

GET OVER YOURSELVES!

The "No phone calls" at the end of an advert is just you being your asshole self. Dragging the industry down. Next, you're going to want money from your future applicants (whom you never spoke with) to pay you to work. Imagine that.
---------- ADS -----------

Go Juice
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: "No phone calls please!"

Post by Go Juice »

Especially for a job as important as CP. If I'm going to apply for a CP job in the middle of nowhere, I WILL have questions.

A device is yet to be invented that will measure my indifference to this remark.
Cranium
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Cranium »

As the guy who wound up answering the phone at our shop through my apprenticeship, I actually sympathize with the employers. I would rather read through a resume and answer any questions in a cover letter or during an interview than stop what I'm doing and risk pissing off a PAYING customer just to answer the phone 40 times a day just to answer questions like:

1. "So, um, how much do you pay?"
2. "How much vacation do I get?"
3. "How quickly will I get to left seat?"
4. "Where are you located?"
5. "What kind of planes do you have?"

By the way, the answers are:
1. Not as much as you'd like.
2. Not as much as you'd like.
3. Not as soon as you'd like.
4. Do some research before you apply, dummy!
5. Do some research before you apply, dummy!

(By the way, these were actual questions I was asked on many occasions. The answers are the ones I would've preferred to give, but the one I actually gave was "Send us your resume, and we'll contact you if you are selected for an interview.")

Brewguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Brewguy »

A great big +1 to what Cranium wrote.

Obviously neither of you have ever been in a management position - and have never had to hire someone. Every employer, everywhere (not just in the aviation industry) specify how they want to receive information from potential job applicants.

If a job is something you may have even a remote interest in - you throw in a resume. It doesn't do any harm. if and when the employer makes further contact with you, you have ample opportunity to ask your questions then.

A company may only be hiring 1 person, and for that single position, they may receive 600 applications. Many companies do not have a full-time HR person to answer all your unwanted phone calls.

The person reviewing your resume may be doing so on his/her lunch hour every day for a couple of weeks, or staying after work, or taking them home to review after dinner. The person who is doing the hiring may not want to have their real, day-to-day work interrupted by some jack ass who can't read and follow simple directions, so they can answer the same questions over and over and over again.

Cheers,
Brew
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Well, maybe the no phone calls is a way of weeding out the intelligent. They want people who don't ask questions and will work for anything and under any conditions.

I would not even show up for an interview without knowing pay rate and vacation time, something that you pretty much can't research unless you know somebody who works there.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Golden Pilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Golden Pilot »

+2 to Cranium and Brewguy.

I ALWAYS specify that Phone calls are not accepted.

As a full line pilot as well as a manager, I do not need the distraction and interuptions of every prospective aviator, most who do not remotely meet the minimum requirements specified, to bother me during a busy day.

I can read, and discard ones from the likes of Skybaron, and concentrate on good prospects like Brewguy !

Those who can't read, or choose to ignore the request are duly noted, and the resume is trashed upon arrival.

Golden Pilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Golden Pilot »

Ifly, those are questions that you can ask If and WHEN the employer calls you for more info.

teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by teacher »

It's amazing how fast some people forget what it's like to be on the other end of that phone.

https://eresonatemedia.com/
https://bambaits.ca/
https://youtube.com/channel/UCWit8N8YCJSvSaiSw5EWWeQ
Go Juice
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Go Juice »

I'm a big shot line pilot and also a manager that's right... I don't have time to talk to you new pilot who's trying to get his first job. I'm too important and too busy for you!

Now good thing I have an F/O to do all my preflight checks and put the tents on... man I'm a captain I don't do that shit anymore...

Love the attitude

A device is yet to be invented that will measure my indifference to this remark.
Brewguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Brewguy »

On which end are you referring to teacher?

I've been on both. And as an applicant, I've always respected the instructions given in a job posting. If it says to mail, I mail. If it says to fax, I fax. If it says not to phone, I don't.

What has always amazed me, is that some people see a job posting, and feels that the company who is hiring owes them anything. Owes them more consideration, or time, than they have any entitlement to.

Submitting an application / resume in no way, shape or form commits you to anything. It's just your way of saying, "Hey, you're hiring? Cool. I may be interested. Call me".

Cheers,
Brew
Golden Pilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Golden Pilot »

Go Juice wrote: good thing I have an F/O to do all my preflight checks
I don't fly with a F/O ( what ever that is? ) if that post was aimed at me?

As brewguy says, I am hiring, and I set the rules, you don't like, DON'T APPLY.

And "First Job" ??? No "first timers" fly anywhere near here. Any Ad's I send out specify high experience.

Last edited by Golden Pilot on Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

I know where the managers are coming from, but when I did the hiring for a company up north, I always took the time to talk to low time guys and give them tips. It wasn't that long prior that I was on the other end of the phone line.

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

Bede wrote:I know where the managers are coming from, but when I did the hiring for a company up north, I always took the time to talk to low time guys and give them tips. It wasn't that long prior that I was on the other end of the phone line.
Well put. I wouldn't "waste" my time sending a resume to a company who wouldn't "waste" their time to talk to me.
Aviation managers and CP's seem to have some pretty tall horses these days.

Go Juice
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Go Juice »

^^^^ + 10 000 000 and 1 beer!

Mig29
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Mig29 »

If you are looking for something (in this case looking for a new employee) then no matter how busy you may be, you should have a decency to answer a phone (if you are around of course and time permitting) to a caller. Just remember, everyone has to start somewhere...

If you think that it's sufficient to hire someone just by looking at the hours in his email, then you are fooling your self, because you may end up employing some complete prick! Unless you are the size of AC or WJ, where it's impossible to answer all the calls, you can spend a few minutes on the phone...

I once flew all the way to YXE and then drove in -41C to Prince Albert to drop in my resume to CP that I spoke to the day before and said I was on my way:) The guy never came to see me, as he was busy, the front desk lady told me.....I waited for few hours and then drove back to catch a flight back home that night....real professional!

I Я Instructor
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by I Я Instructor »

Ok, so you as the CP just got 600 e-mailed resumes for a job. How do "I" stand out from the crowd? Out of the 600 applicants there are probably 60 that qualify for the job. I very much doubt anyone will spend the time to go through the 600 to find the 60 so... calling to introduce yourself at least gives the CP a name to work with.

Am I wrong?

Alternatively, if you don't qualify for the job and still call I think you should be put on a black list :evil:

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Lets examine the original post here.
For all you so-called employers posting ads for employment. . .

GET OVER YOURSELVES!

The "No phone calls" at the end of an advert is just you being your asshole self. Dragging the industry down. Next, you're going to want money from your future applicants (whom you never spoke with) to pay you to work. Imagine that.
Anyone here see a possible attitude problem in the above rant, and would you want someone with that attitude flying for your company??

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
2.5milefinal
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 2.5milefinal »

"Next, you're going to want money from your future applicants"

A long time ago there was a 'START UP' that use to charge 25 bucks to process your resume.
Can you guess what airline? :)

Opinions cant be proven false.
Go Juice
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Go Juice »

Did they have a big smile for a logo?

2.5milefinal
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 2.5milefinal »

Nope.
Hint... they are still flying.

Opinions cant be proven false.

Return to “General Comments”