Relief Pilot Positions (Airlines)

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

bullcrap61
Rank 0
Rank 0

Relief Pilot Positions (Airlines)

Post by bullcrap61 »

Can anyone tell me what the Quals are for these positions. And pay?
---------- ADS -----------

rooster
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Relief Pilot Positions (Airlines)

Post by rooster »

bullcrap61 wrote:Can anyone tell me what the Quals are for these positions. And pay?
This question is so friggin broad!!! How about some specifics?? You think that every airline in the world has the SAME qualification requirements as eachother??

At the very least list which airlines you're inquiring about. Why do people not use common sense when posting on the boards?

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

At my Airline we normally do long haul with 2 Captains and a First Officer. One Captain operates and the other is the relief Pilot. On the return sector the second Captain operates and the first Captain is the relief Pilot.

One Captain is designated as Commander and he has overall responsibility for the flight.

If we operate with one Captain and two First Officers one will be qualified to sit in the left seat during cruise. This First Officer needs to hold an ATPL and have a minimum number of years in the Airline, and undergo a special Sim check with an emergency descent flown from the left seat.

First Officers qualified as Cruise Pilot get paid slightly more.

We don't have Second Officers.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
bullcrap61
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by bullcrap61 »

Thanks for your reply, I vagely remember talk of a multi crew lic. In which very low time pilots are accepted as a cruise pilot or relief pilot, wondering if these are the same thing.

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

I think Cathay Pacific does this, and Cruise Pilot is the entry-level position for lower-time pilots. It depends on the airline's authority-- at our airline the long-haul is also supplemented with an additional Captain as Relief Pilot.

I believe Air Canada does (or used to) use Cruise Pilots who were at FO level. Minima are, of course, Air Canada pilot recruiting minima and this is something you bid for (I want to be a Cruise pilot on the 777 instead of Embraer First Officer). Or it was something you got awarded because of the lack of seniority.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
Chaxterium
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Chaxterium »

Question for y'all. Are Relief Pilots type rated? Maybe a stupid question but I know down in Americaland FO's aren't type rated, correct? Is there any difference in the training RPs receive?

Cheers,
Chax

Last edited by Chaxterium on Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hawkerflyer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hawkerflyer »

rooster wrote:
bullcrap61 wrote:Can anyone tell me what the Quals are for these positions. And pay?
This question is so friggin broad!!! How about some specifics?? You think that every airline in the world has the SAME qualification requirements as eachother??

At the very least list which airlines you're inquiring about. Why do people not use common sense when posting on the boards?
Yikes! Bitter much? Judging by his Large amount of posts (2) how about giving the guy a break. It's guys like you that steer away people with genuine questions.

"Six of us broke formation, five Jerries and I". - George "Buzz" Beurling
bcflyer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bcflyer »

Panama Jack wrote:I think Cathay Pacific does this, and Cruise Pilot is the entry-level position for lower-time pilots. It depends on the airline's authority-- at our airline the long-haul is also supplemented with an additional Captain as Relief Pilot.

I believe Air Canada does (or used to) use Cruise Pilots who were at FO level. Minima are, of course, Air Canada pilot recruiting minima and this is something you bid for (I want to be a Cruise pilot on the 777 instead of Embraer First Officer). Or it was something you got awarded because of the lack of seniority.
A/C uses RP's to augment their overseas flights. It is both a junior and very senior position depending on the airplane and when you were hired. Some 777 RP's that are grandfathered at past pay rates make almost as much as an EMB Capt.....

Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Nark »

Chaxterium wrote:Question for y'all. Are Relief Pilots type rated? Maybe a stupid question but I know down in Americaland FO's aren't type rated, correct? Is there any difference in the training RPs receive?

Cheers,
Chax

Not quite.
The only 121 airline I can think of that are certified as "domestic" may be ERA Alaska, that the FO doesn't require a Type (Dash-8's).
§ 121.437 Pilot qualification: Certificates required.

(a) No pilot may act as pilot in command of an aircraft (or as second in command of an aircraft in a flag or supplemental operation that requires three or more pilots) unless he holds an airline transport pilot certificate and an appropriate type rating for that aircraft.

(b) No certificate holder may use nor may any pilot act as a pilot in a capacity other than those specified in paragraph (a) of this section unless the pilot holds at least a commercial pilot certificate with appropriate category and class ratings for the aircraft concerned, and an instrument rating. Notwithstanding the requirements of §61.63 (b) and (c) of this chapter, a pilot who is currently employed by a certificate holder and meets applicable training requirements of subpart N of this part, and the proficiency check requirements of §121.441, may be issued the appropriate category and class ratings by presenting proof of compliance with those requirements to a Flight Standards District Office.

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Semper Fidelis
“De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites"-
Do not wish death for your enemy, plan it.
Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

Chaxterium wrote:Question for y'all. Are Relief Pilots type rated? Maybe a stupid question but I know down in Americaland FO's aren't type rated, correct? Is there any difference in the training RPs receive?

Cheers,
Chax

Assuming you are asking about Canadian regulations, CAR 421.40(3)(b):
(b) Aeroplane - Two Crew - Restricted to Cruise Relief Pilot Duties Only
(amended 1998/03/23; previous version)

(i) Prerequisite

An applicant for an individual aircraft type rating - restricted to cruise relief pilot duties only for aeroplanes with a minimum flight crew requirement of at least two pilots shall hold a Commercial Pilot Licence - Aeroplane, or an Airline Transport Pilot Licence - Aeroplane, and a Group 1 Instrument Rating.

(ii) Knowledge

An applicant for an individual aircraft type rating - restricted to cruise relief pilot duties only for aeroplanes with a minimum flight crew requirement of at least two pilots shall have completed a program of ground and flight training on the aeroplane type, and

Commercial Pilot Licence - Aeroplane

(A) in the case of the holder of a Commercial Pilot Licence - Aeroplane, within the 24 months preceding the application for the first endorsement of a two crew rating, an applicant shall have obtained a minimum score of 70 percent (70%) on the Type Rating - Aeroplane (IATRA) examination;
(amended 2001/03/01; previous version)

Airline Transport Pilot Licence - Aeroplane

(B) in the case of the applicant who has obtained a minimum score of 70 percent (70%) on the Airline Transport Pilot Licence - Aeroplane written examinations (SAMRA and SARON) within the 24 months preceding the application for the endorsement of the rating, the written examination requirement shall be considered to have been met; or
(amended 2001/03/01; previous version)

(C) in the case of the holder of an Airline Transport Pilot Licence - Aeroplane, the written examination requirement shall be considered to have been met.
(amended 2001/03/01; no previous version)

(iii) Experience

An applicant shall have completed flight training on the aeroplane type and have completed a minimum of 250 hours flight time on aeroplanes.
(amended 1998/03/23; no previous version)

(iv) Skill

An applicant shall have passed a pilot proficiency check conducted in accordance with Part VI or Part VII, excluding the takeoffs and landings, for that aeroplane type within the 12 months preceding the application for the rating or passed a pilot proficiency check acceptable to the Minister for that aeroplane type within 12 months preceding the application for the rating.
(amended 2000/09/01; previous version)

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan

Return to “General Comments”