My flying blog.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I don't know how much longer I can keep it up. Seems like I have to obsess about not eating every minute just to maintain 250+. Eating less is changing what I crave. I was never much of a dessert guy but now I want it sometimes. Just whining, I know I need to eat like an old lady for the rest of my life. :(

I hope to go flying again this year. That should make me feel better.

Hi muskeg, I haven't been to Denny's for a pretty long time.

So lostlake, you still hiring?
---------- ADS -----------

Changes in Latitudes
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re:

Post by Changes in Latitudes »

Beefitarian wrote:I don't know how much longer I can keep it up. Seems like I have to obsess about not eating every minute just to maintain 250+. Eating less is changing what I crave. I was never much of a dessert guy but now I want it sometimes. Just whining, I know I need to eat like an old lady for the rest of my life. :(

I hope to go flying again this year. That should make me feel better.

Hi muskeg, I haven't been to Denny's for a pretty long time.

So lostlake, you still hiring?
It's a lot harder for women with the weight thing than men, you have to give yourself that. Try not to focus so much on your dress size as much as your personal health and activity level.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I need to figure out some kind of routine.
Beefitarian wrote: I'm going to have to break out the bicycle this year. Sander's walking program was a good start but it's not going to cut it in my case. I need some steak!
Excellent idea just shy of execution.

My back has been pretty happy about how much I've lost so far. I fit in my skinny jeans. Ok regular fat guy jeans instead of 40s but it's progress. I can shovel the sidewalk again without being bed ridden the next day. It's just not fun like it used to be.

Expat
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Beef flys a plane.

Post by Expat »

Keep it up Beef, it will get easier. The stomach has to shrink too.
The happy feeling of joy, when buying smaller jeans is awesome, and worth it. Dessert, sugar in the coffee, soda, and all salt must go. Then, get rid of your fast food habits, then bread and starches... :smt040
I wish I could help you with the plane. Have money, but no time to fly... :shock:

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I quit pop but that one's been tough. I only use salt to cook certain things so that one's never been an issue. I don't drink coffee but when I drink tea I leave out the junk. I'm craving dessert sometime but just when I'm not eating much. Bread and starches are good, when you exercise, that's the key. I need to ramp up the cardio. I don't need a six pack and I have no shame so I don't care what size moo moo I wear.

Fitting into smaller airplanes is good though. Get a nice 170, I'll exercise it until you retire.

Expat
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Expat »

The saying here is your metric height minus 100 is your ideal weight. So I am 1meter 73, which means 73 kilos is a normal weight. This is what I weighted when I was 18!
I am not much of a tail wheel fan, and prefer the 172s. Let's see what develops. :P

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I can already fly those, I like them too. I like the piper warrior II also. Ever fly one of those?

How about this? It's a nice tricycle but they tuck inside when you're flying.

http://www.controller.com/listingsdetai ... 270155.htm

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

My wife recently dropped from 250 to 170lbs (in about 12 months). For her the key was a combination of hard exercise (Gillian Michaels workout every day + walks + yoga) plus eating very small portions. She used the MyFitnessPal app which helped a lot.

You really do need to put a lot of effort into it if you want results.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

According to Expat's formula I should be 85 kilos, 187 pounds. That's 7 more than my old chart weight. The best shape I have ever been in as an adult I was somewhere around 200 and I was doing kempo a few times a week. That's not going to happen but I might go bike riding if the snow goes away. I've kept the weight off that I've lost and if I can continue to lose some then I will be satisfied.

Expat, when's the last time you flew?

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

You could try running from zombies:

http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/onepe ... n-nhs.html

Expat
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Expat »

I last flew as a pilot 3 years ago. As a passenger, every week here. I would need a medical and flight fam if I wanted to rent a plane now. I really want to get the GF up there with me sometime... :smt040

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I'm pretty sure we covered this but I forget for certain. There's no General aviation there.

How far would you have to go to rent a light single? Would it be somewhat practical to get a ride somewhere and go flying once a month or even every six months? Even dual beats never going though you have to pay an instructor, compared to rental rates these days it's a fraction of the total cost. Even fixed costs for a plane you own can be pretty pricey now days. Purchase prices are way down due to the economy though.

Expat
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Expat »

My dream would be to fly here a small plane. The clear weather and the montains!!!
However, the rules here in Af, and in neighboring Central Asian countries forbid it. There is only one single engine Cessna here in Af, but it is a turbo 206 model.
Anyway, I get a free trip to Canada twice a year, and could use that as a prop to keep flying...
I really miss these early Sunday spins over my small airport, before a hearty breakfast!
Enjoy it in Canada, because you can't elsewhere.
I just shouldn't have sold that 172...

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Beef flys a plane SOLO!

Post by Beefitarian »

Ok, the other reason I bumped this besides my diet was, I was booked to go flying last week. It had to be rescheduled but..

Today I went, did some circuits on a partially snow covered runway, strong winds with barely any cross component.

So once I decided I'd had enough and was going to land and relax, as we cleared the runway my instructor did a taxi 180 on the snowy apron then told me. "You're as good as you're going to get, go do one by yourself. Infact do two, or one, whatever you feel like."

That's right I flew by myself again. I wasn't planning it but sometimes the best things in life are surprises!
I hope I'm going to get a bit more consistent if I can't get any better. The second one by myself got a bit sloppy as well as at least one of the 5 I did dual.
IMG_0720.JPG
IMG_0720.JPG (232.33 KiB) Viewed 1956 times

jump154
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jump154 »

That picture brings a question. Are you supposed to put "Self" or your own name in the logbook, or does it matter? I always put self when I was a student, then started putting my name in once solo/licensed, as it seemed more logical to me.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

My name is written on the inside of the cover.

I wrote self again today then I wrote 5 under take offs and landings then 0.8. I can take people for rides now and write their name in the next box.

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Colonel Sanders »

does it matter?
Does not matter.

Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

I can take people for rides now and write their name in the next box.
What you need there is to have its say Self and Child of self in those columns, get those young ones supporting your flying habit. Makes it an easier sell to the wife.

edit: This plan of course may backfire when you end up paying for their flight training in a few years down the road, and they're living at home as a struggling commercial pilot. :mrgreen:

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Self in the pilot column is nothing, what I write in the passenger column is worse. I have wrote all sorts of things. My father is recorded as Dad sometimes, my Brother and my wife using their first names. I have "Grandma" there with her name noted in brackets by the first one.

When I stopped using correction fluid some of the pages look terrible. I might switch back to blue ink again. It looks more pleasant.

I think I'll put our daughter the meat eater and son the veggie guy in with their names first time. Initial and last name every time after.

Journey logs on the other hand are all business.

T. Beefitarian P8675309 for me. A. Friend, A. Second-Friend, etc. for passengers. Locations recorded as ICAO identifiers.

Last edited by Beefitarian on Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Expat
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re:

Post by Expat »

Beefitarian wrote: When I stopped using correction fluid some of the pages look terrible. I might switch back to blue ink again. It looks more pleasant.

T. Beefitarian P8675309 for me. A. Friend, A. Second-Friend, etc. for passengers. Locations recorded as ICAO identifiers.

.night beef,

Don't worry about the correction fluid. One day, after a hypothetical divorce, you may have to scratch all, and add: "ex-"

Things happen... :lol:

Return to “General Comments”