Here's an interesting method of building hours.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Blakey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Here's an interesting method of building hours.

Post by Blakey »

A 140? Not good enough. I'll need at least a 150 or, better yet, a 172! Cheap too.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-travel-vacations ... nFlag=true
---------- ADS -----------

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you!
CanadianEh
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by CanadianEh »

Blakey wrote:A 140? Not good enough. I'll need at least a 150 or, better yet, a 172! Cheap too.

Anyone report this to TC yet?

pdw
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pdw »

Nah ... they wouldn't be interested in an airplane ride.

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

CanadianEh wrote:
Blakey wrote:A 140? Not good enough. I'll need at least a 150 or, better yet, a 172! Cheap too.
Anyone report this to TC yet?
They would have to be checking all the time to keep on top of these enterprises:
Sporting a whopping 170 hours logged in not just 172s but also 150/152s!

This one, I find interesting:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classes-lessons/ ... nFlag=true
Doesn't appear to be any chance of air regs being broken, but when you follow the google bread crumbs, this site shows up:
http://www.schoolshows.ca/listing/jet-p ... toronto-2/
With this link in it: http://www.jetpilotsimulators.ca
Which, once you click on any link in it, turns into: http://www.aaronemurphy.com/
Where the door on the left gets you a sweet deck built for your house, while the door on the right gets you non-certified instruction on full motion simulators. Classic "Flight Simulator and Back Deck Technology Inc." company! I kid though.. it looks like it could be fun for the wannabe/novice pilot.

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

The ad is still up.

In fact I just left this gentleman a voicemail.

To the point, not rude and kindly offered my mentorship if they wanted...
I highly doubt I'll hear back....

On a side note, I anticipate being back in town mid winter... Any chance of doing some ski flying with ya? At the very least let's try to get together for coffee!

All the best,
TPC

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

Emailed first buddy there with 170 hours. See what he says.

davecessna
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by davecessna »

Would this be considered legitimate? I'm guessing no as he's soliciting help.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

davecessna wrote:Would this be considered legitimate? I'm guessing no as he's soliciting help.

I don't know if TC ever published a similar interpretation but in the US the FAA goes after these guys with a big stick. The simple fact of building hours is considered compensation.

DonutHole
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DonutHole »

Here is an ad sample for a scheduled chisel charter.

Attn: I am a private pilot who is unable to fly for hire or reward. However, every day I will be departing airport X and arriving at airport y, and return in the evening. If you want to equitably share costs you can arrive before I leave and I will take you, however if you do not arrive before my scheduled departure time I will be obligated to leave you behind as you are incidental to the flight and not the purpose of the flight.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

These guys are obviously renting airplanes from flight schools. If there was an accident the school will absolutely, positively get sued. If I was running an FTU I would refuse to allow anyone doing this to ever rent an airplane or take any training from me ever again.

DonutHole
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DonutHole »

But.. framed as above is it illegal? The passenger is clearly aware that he is incidental and the conditions of the flight are such that it would be conducted with or without the cost sharing passenger

pdw
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pdw »

The ad is framed appropriately for what this pilot is doing, except he/she may not have been educated in the the rules beyond what you're told by the FTU about sharing costs during training. But why not ? (if it's so important).

I don't believe it's that illegal to advertise what he wants to do there ... and I'm not sure if it is that legally backed for some other business at the airport to rat out 'safe flight' when the dream actually comes true and someone actually shows up.

The plane is insured for the seating in it, so it would be fraud for any insurance company not to cover it. From another persective it may also be a form of misrepresentation if someone spends all that money to get their license, flys safely, and then there's no way to get anyone to fly along ( ie to share the costs to get ahead in hours). We're still in a democracy here, .. a chance for more people (otherwise not flying) to get out to the airport to help GA.

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

So I heard back from buddy guy.

Me:
Is the rental cost split, or am I responsible for the entire $193/hr for the 172? Thanks

Karlin Besner:
The pilot will pay the runup time and engine time on the ground. The flying time will be payed by the passengers.

Sooooooo, you want to build hours for almost free? Sounds legit... :roll:

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

DonutHole wrote:Attn: I am a private pilot who is unable to fly for hire or reward. However, every day I will be departing airport X and arriving at airport y, and return in the evening. If you want to equitably share costs you can arrive before I leave and I will take you, however if you do not arrive before my scheduled departure time I will be obligated to leave you behind as you are incidental to the flight and not the purpose of the flight.
So to sum it up,
Chisel charter: Illegal
Chisel sched: Strangely allowable. Go figure.

DonutHole
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DonutHole »

It's just how you write it.

Blakey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Blakey »

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you!
davecessna
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by davecessna »

Other than "Air Taxi" in the title, he makes no indication of his intention to charge anything at all. :lol:

bverwegen
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bverwegen »

He sold me on, "Last minute, no problem."

stol701
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by stol701 »

Here is the full text:
Do you you need to get to a small airport or town within 300 miles of Toronto. I can fly you there in my Cessna 182. No airport lineups. No expensive executive charter flight costs. Last Minute no problem.
So he is saying almost directly that there is cost... it's just not executive charter cost.

I'm sure this guy is actually quite well and is not trying to attract business in this way but is trying to attract new experiences, to go somewhere random, and without too much planning. To meet new people. Maybe an adventurous chick with big mammaries (to use a word I learned a few posts ago :P ) decides she wants to go gambling in Niagara Falls... Who knows?!?!

To have a 182 sitting around and a "last minute no problem" attitude, I'd say he doesn't need the couple hundred bucks he can make this way.

I don't like it that people are turning everything into regulations. Regulations suck for the most part. Except for the few that are actually concerned with safety the rest of them are all made so the bureaucrats in various government chapters can have work.

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

Being well off and not needing the extra couple bucks one might glean from such an enterprise and just doing it for fun is really immaterial here. Operating outside of any and all regulations (if this is in fact the case) removes any sort of quality control to protect a very naive public. This pilot could have a bare 50 hour PPL for all we know. This guy could be the next 'lost north of the GTA' headline with an unsuspecting paying customer on board as he tries out a newly minted night rating on a last minute no problem taxi flight somewhere.

Return to “General Comments”