Alberta operations

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Alberta operations

Post by Shiny Side Up »

privateer wrote:
As for my usual routes, I currently fly to or have flown to every oil patch related strip in Alberta. In my opinion, some are adequately used and some are stupid busy.
I hate to tell you this but every strip in Alberta is oil patch related, so you should be asking yourself why you aren't flying to more strips?
The situation in Calgary is that they are not trying to push out non commercial aviation but merely trying to control traffic so that it is safe. They have waited till the eleventh hour to build that parallel runway and it may seem at times that they don't want us in YYC but nothing could be further from the truth.
They've done a really good job of pushing a lot of commercial aviation out, regardless of what reasons you choose to believe that they've done it for. Do you really think that the parallel runway is there to help the aviation in the oil and gas sector? Since O&G is the big money in the province, one must wonder why they did wait so long if said traffic warrants it. Don't you think they would have moved a little quicker on expanding YYC if the big oil companies pushed for it because they want it?
---------- ADS -----------

We can't stop here! This is BAT country!
slowstream
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by slowstream »

Shiny Side Up wrote:
privateer wrote:
I hate to tell you this but every strip in Alberta is oil patch related, so you should be asking yourself why you aren't flying to more strips?

They've done a really good job of pushing a lot of commercial aviation out, regardless of what reasons you choose to believe that they've done it for. Do you really think that the parallel runway is there to help the aviation in the oil and gas sector? Since O&G is the big money in the province, one must wonder why they did wait so long if said traffic warrants it. Don't you think they would have moved a little quicker on expanding YYC if the big oil companies pushed for it because they want it?
HOLY PETE!!!

WTF are you trying to do? Split the Atom again, its been done get over it.

Every sector and every Provence has its own unique industry and dare I say it culture; B.C is not Alberta, Alberta is not Saskatchewan although close, and Ontario and Quebec are different as is the maritime province's. YXD and the parallel runway in YYC are all political, with poor timing, poor lobbying and poor P.R.

The bottom line is that there is loads of flying in Alberta, sched and charter and albeit a great deal of the charter work in Alberta is either oil or mining related there is also a great deal of corporate charter work which I personally did for a number of years. There are also many considerable flying out of other place's in Alberta as well, YXH, YQL, YQF, YMM, YQU.

whiteguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by whiteguy »

Was number 8 in line to take off in YYC yesterday, 3 Cariboo DH8, Suncor RJ, Shell EMB, Sunwest 1900 & Dash and 1 AC A320. Behind us were Cariboo Citation and a 200, Hawk Air Dash 8 and WJ.

Yeah, not much going on in Alberta for Oil and Gas flying! :roll:

Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

:roll: As usual, reading comprehension is at an all time low here on Avcanada. Not much point I suppose to getting an idea across to some people here. Someone might note that the opening poster was asking how flying business in Alberta relates to the seasonal nature of the oil patch in Alberta, but no one reads entire posts here before hitting the "reply" button.

YES There is a lot of aviation activity in Alberta.

NO The seasonal nature of the oil patch in Alberta does not have much effect on how busy aviation relating to it is.

We can't stop here! This is BAT country!
Johnny#5
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Johnny#5 »

:smt017

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

:smt024

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Colonel Sanders »

As usual, reading comprehension is at an all time low here on Avcanada
I always had trouble with the Transport written exams, too.

short bus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by short bus »

I F'n love your chicken!!

Indanao
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Indanao »

They call it Dirty Bird nowadays, cause it seems nice but is out to kill you. :lol:

slowstream
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by slowstream »

Shiny Side Up wrote::roll: As usual, reading comprehension is at an all time low here on Avcanada. Not much point I suppose to getting an idea across to some people here. Someone might note that the opening poster was asking how flying business in Alberta relates to the seasonal nature of the oil patch in Alberta, but no one reads entire posts here before hitting the "reply" button.

YES There is a lot of aviation activity in Alberta.

NO The seasonal nature of the oil patch in Alberta does not have much effect on how busy aviation relating to it is.
Shiny Side Up,

No need to bring this discussion down any further with more sarcasm or rudeness.

To question cause and effect is pointless as is trying to split the Atom again.

To answer the original question, if that is your worry......
There will always be seasonal work in Alberta, like many other regions; its affected by not only season but the price of commodity v.s the price of obtaining such commodity which is at the direction of the corporations. With that knowledge one should be able to understand that there is then a ripple effect.

Does that satisfy your question/comment sufficiently enough for your righteous sense's?

Return to “General Comments”