Ice Pilots - Season 3

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

goingmach_1
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Ice Pilots - Season 3

Post by goingmach_1 »

I got it from a very reliable source that the next aircraft Viking is going to put back into production is the Buffalo. Of course it will have different engines and modern cockpit. Their rational is that there is pent up demand for this type of machine. They own the type certificate.

I agree.
---------- ADS -----------

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

godsrcrazy wrote: If Mickey hates pilots quitting as couriers to go flying then maybe he should hire people that want to do that job.
Indeed.
godsrcrazy wrote: Other then not being able to go on out skies
What? Intelligible English, please..

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Canuck223
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Canuck223 »

goingmach_1 wrote:I got it from a very reliable source that the next aircraft Viking is going to put back into production is the Buffalo. Of course it will have different engines and modern cockpit. Their rational is that there is pent up demand for this type of machine. They own the type certificate.

I agree.
The only reason I would question this at all is the cargo doors on the origional. I suspect the cargo capacity and range of this plane would fill a niche. However, I notice a large number of the odd and specialty items carried to the remote communities and mining camps might really benefit from a rear cargo ramp vs side door.

Indanao
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Indanao »

Range may be a factor. The new PW, " PT7 " seems to use 220us gallons per hour as compared to the Rolls 166us gallons per hour. When they converted the C123 they couldn't use the standard fuel tanks and instead converted it to a wet wing. It has a range of about 1900 miles. Add cargo ramp, lower for loading, and ( maybe ) 7000lbs more useful load in the Provider.

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

godsrcrazy wrote:What is the payload on the DHC-5 operating out of Yellowknife. Other then not being able to go on out skies i would imagine the strip performance is better or as good as the DC3 and C46.
18,000 lbs payload, unless you have a diamond plate floor which TC considers part of the payload and not the a/c. Then it's about 16,600 lbs. You can land on a 3000 ft strip at full weight, need about 4-4500 ft to get out at max weight (49,200).
goingmach_1 wrote:I got it from a very reliable source that the next aircraft Viking is going to put back into production is the Buffalo. Of course it will have different engines and modern cockpit. Their rational is that there is pent up demand for this type of machine. They own the type certificate.
As long as they have customers, they will do it. Engines will have to be different as GE no longer supports the originals. ASW has already done a complete makeover of the original avionics on at least one of their machines. Something like a PW120 or larger with 5 bladed props would increase payload, range, and fuel economy. One issue with building "new" Buffalo's, is the fact that TC will not, or does not seem to want to, allow a 705 STOL airplane. Too bad, but for 95% of the time, it isn't an issue anyway.
Canuck223 wrote:The only reason I would question this at all is the cargo doors on the origional. I suspect the cargo capacity and range of this plane would fill a niche. However, I notice a large number of the odd and specialty items carried to the remote communities and mining camps might really benefit from a rear cargo ramp vs side door.
The cargo door is the weak point on the original. It is operated electrically versus an airplane like the Herc where it is a hydraulic door and therfore much more robust. Rear door loading is more convienent, except for the fact that every community has a full size front-end loader perfect for a Herc, but too big to fit under the tail of a DHC-5. Fork lifts and zoombooms are ideal.

metal
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by metal »

So, does anyone know what the status is on Tyler and Jules, job wise these days? Only curious because the last episode was clearly filmed last winter, and a lot could have changed since then.

Indanao
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Indanao »

MIQ wrote:I recall another rampie falling off the DC 3 wing while deicing it in season one as well who also got injured. It think it also caused a big discussion about buffalo's safety procedures here on the board. I definitely don't think that buffalo's way of de-icing their aircraft is a very safety orientated way of doing it. Seems they're just trying to be as cheap as possible...
Not that I'm a big fan of the show, but shrinking brain disease is still at least three years away...he did and does fly the C46..fell off the C46 last year in Norman Wells..quit..came back...also got engaged on this years show. Now, who is he?

godsrcrazy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by godsrcrazy »

North Shore wrote:
godsrcrazy wrote: If Mickey hates pilots quitting as couriers to go flying then maybe he should hire people that want to do that job.
Indeed.
godsrcrazy wrote: Other then not being able to go on out skies
What? Intelligible English, please..
Sorry it was a long night what i meant to say is the DHC-5 cannot go on skies.

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

godsrcrazy wrote: Sorry it was a long night what i meant to say is the DHC-5 cannot go on skies.
What kind of shitty airplane cant go on skies?
skies (skz)
n.
Plural of sky.
v.
Third person singular present tense of sky.
I know of some that cant go on Skis :wink:

She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
Indanao
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Indanao »

niss wrote:
godsrcrazy wrote: Sorry it was a long night what i meant to say is the DHC-5 cannot go on skies.
skies (skz)
n.
Plural of sky.
v.
Why does it matter, everyone knows what he meant. Is your grammar and spelling A1 ? Oh, with a wink it's a joke...I get it.

godsrcrazy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by godsrcrazy »

niss wrote:
skies (skz)
n.
Plural of sky.
v.

Sorry to offend you niss maybe when i get up to 6,400 posts i will learn to spell.

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

Winking face means it's all in good fun.

She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Colonel Sanders »

@ss in the face can lead to good fun: http://i.imgur.com/aFkO3.jpg

NWONT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NWONT »

Ya know what I think is a good idea...................training bonds!!!!

The Hammer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Hammer »

Does First Air really hire without an interview?

Not doing a single revenue flight would burn my a$$ too regardless of your time with the company.

I have turned down an opportunity to pick up a factory new airplane and the sim training that came with it because I had a lead and knew I wasn't going to give my employer what they deserved. Instead I flew a clapped out Ho' and a Swine until I got my chance elsewhere. It paid off 10 years later when my airline laid me off and my old boss remembered my actions.

Now that First Air is under TC's scrutiny after the crash, with the Herc's mechanical most days, and Buffalo's Electra's going great guns, it will be interesting to see what happens.

black metal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by black metal »

wow, i want to work for joe!! what an a## h###!!!

N2
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by N2 »

After watching this show and seeing how things are run up there I kinda feel like a owe Joe a beer.......thanking him for not responding to my resume years ago!

Putting money into aviation is like wiping before you poop....it just don't make sense!
flyinthebug
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flyinthebug »

N2 wrote:After watching this show and seeing how things are run up there I kinda feel like a owe Joe a beer.......thanking him for not responding to my resume years ago!
Im sure the feeling is mutual! How do you think its ok to take 20K in training and then bail a week or 2 later? Do you have any idea how frustrating that is for management? When we dole out 20K to train you and get you your PPC...and you bail in a week or 2, what kind of response did you expect from Joe? Ive had guys walk out with fresh PPC`s that *I* paid for, and believe me if it was YOUR money that guy just blew for you, you`d be pissed too. Actually, even though Joe lost it at the end and threw Gord out...I think he stayed far more composed than I would have been...especially when Gord was rolling his eyes at Joe. What utter disrespect for the man that paid your salary for 6 years and paid for all his upgrades...all without a training bond. And then we wonder why we need contracts and training bonds? Its exactly for guys like this Gord guy that could have had the class to at least tell Joe he was looking BEFORE Joe laid out the 20 K to train him. As Joe said, he could have prof`ed at least 3 other guys that would have stayed the year. But somehow you find something wrong with Joe being pissed? You really have no idea what it takes to run an airline...and how much 20 grand can affect your bottom line. Supporting this pilot is why we will have bonds for everyone at every air service in the not too distant future.
Fly safe all.

backon3
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by backon3 »

Joe did not pay 20 000 for Gord's PPC. Gord has worked off more than that during his time there. If you treat people like shit.. you get what you deserve. Period

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Colonel Sanders »

how much 20 grand can affect your bottom line
On that subject ... theoretically speaking, if someone with mushy
brains from pulling too many G's and in desperate need of adult
supervision walked through your door with their chequebook in hand ...

How much for DC-3 / C-46 type ratings, given that the candidate
has ATPL, thousands of hours of tailwheel time, and Beech 18 time?

Return to “General Comments”