Quitting float flying for the IFR world

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

skybaron
Rank 4
Rank 4

Quitting float flying for the IFR world

Post by skybaron »

Anyone here have recent success in jumping ship?

I know in most cases it's an extreme pay cut to venture from float flying back to the wheel world, but are there any avenues or companies out there who make this process less painful?

All ready to go - ATPL's written, IFR rated, +3000 hours (practically all PIC and on floats / piston aircraft).. Thus far - no takers. Pacific Coastal, Calm Air, Air Georgian, CMA... the list goes on.

:?
---------- ADS -----------

sky Rookie
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Quitting float flying for the IFR world

Post by sky Rookie »

keystone is waiting for you

LuckyPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by LuckyPilot »

You should have made the move about 2 thousand hours ago. That being said their should be some movement in the industry in the next little while. The latest equipment bid at AC shows a requirement to hire 165 new pilots, the target is to hire and start training on at least 20 a month. Companies like Georgian, CMA and others of the same type and nature are going to have staffing and worse yet, experience problems as we start taking their more qualified people. Word is they are also going to drop the university/aviation college requirement, looking for the best qualified/experienced people we can find now. The forecast now is, from time of entry to command will be in the 4 year range. Interesting enough, we have several resumes on file from the more junior members from WJ, which surprises the hell out of me considering are starting wages for new hire pilots. Maybe long/short term movement at WJ isn't as good as it use to be. That being said anyone applying or up dating your resume should do it post haste, and do it with eyes wide open, and do your research this may not be the place for you. GOOD LUCK!!

CFMartin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CFMartin »

I had pretty much the same level of experience on floats when I wished to make the move. I had to rely on additional skills (legal) to get a decent job; and then, I was actually offered jobs that were taking me away from airplanes.

I was otherwise back to square one, or at least temporarily.

flyinthebug
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flyinthebug »

Bearskin would like your CV. They are big on bush (float) experience. Give their CP a call, im sure he still takes calls. Best of luck with your transition. Its a tough road for the 1st few yrs, but very doable.

Mr. North
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Mr. North »

It is tough to make the switch no doubt but don't think your bush time is worthless. It's all about finding that first job in the IFR world. Once you get the IFR time, you are golden. 3000 hours of bush time to back up your multi IFR experience will really set you apart from all the other latte sipping king air jockeys when you start applying to the majors. Long ways away I know but keep that in mind.

Bearskin is good. Have a look at Air Tindi or Arctic Sunwest in Yellowknife. They do a great deal of bush work but they also have a healthy IFR component. You might also want to check out airborne surveys companies like Fugro, Sander Geophysics, Terra Quest... They don't do as much IFR but you'll certainly get turbine time.

Hang in there buddy. It might seem like you're starting over again (and you kinda are) but you'll get on somewhere and once you do you'll have a very, VERY well rounded resume!
Good luck!

glorifiedtaxidriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by glorifiedtaxidriver »

Don't listen to anyone who says you stayed on floats too long. I had close to 6000 hrs on floats when I made the jump to the IFR world. Your low level, low vis experience from the float world will put you head and shoulders above the other f/os who came from instructing or working their way off the ramp. I've seen lots of inexperienced fos who get nervous down low in low vis while trying to transition from inside to outside on approach. Also, with your PIC time you'll be able to move up the ladder faster than those with no PIC. You will take a pay cut though. Get a line of credit from your bank while you still have a job that pays well enough for your bank to give you one.

skybaron
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by skybaron »

glorifiedtaxidriver wrote:Don't listen to anyone who says you stayed on floats too long. I had close to 6000 hrs on floats when I made the jump to the IFR world. Your low level, low vis experience from the float world will put you head and shoulders above the other f/os who came from instructing or working their way off the ramp. I've seen lots of inexperienced fos who get nervous down low in low vis while trying to transition from inside to outside on approach. Also, with your PIC time you'll be able to move up the ladder faster than those with no PIC. You will take a pay cut though. Get a line of credit from your bank while you still have a job that pays well enough for your bank to give you one.
Glad to hear your side of the tale. I've had some doubts as I've heard from a few fellas that I may have accumulated too much time driving floats, and now have been "typecasted".

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Glad to hear your side of the tale. I've had some doubts as I've heard from a few fellas that I may have accumulated too much time driving floats, and now have been "typecasted".

Anyone who thinks that way is a moron.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
skybaron
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by skybaron »

Cat Driver wrote:

Agreed

bcflyer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bcflyer »

skybaron wrote:
Cat Driver wrote:

Agreed
Agreed +1,

I had 2500hrs of float time when I made the jump and it was well worth it. Anyone who thinks there is such thing as "too much bush time" has never really worked in the bush. Your hands and feet and decision making skills will pay off in spades down the line.

MacStork
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MacStork »

I just retired from the wonderful world of aviation in July 2010. I was just short of 25,000 hours (no accidents) and had 45 years invested in this industry, so I believe that i am qualified to add my comments.
When I started, I was like every one else, I wanted the Big Iron. Back in 1967, there were not a lot of opportunities to get started, the usual route was getting a float job somewhere in Canada and then getting some experience to move up onto a Twin.
Looking back on my career, I had a great time, I loved every second of it. I had over 19,000 hours on floats and some IFR time as well. I found float flying to be challenging, enjoyable, rewarding and very interesting. For me, it was a great career.
Here are some of the reasons that I loved float flying.
1. It was a daylight operation, I got up in the morning and drank coffee. After the sun went down, I had a beer. Pretty natural.
2. I was always in one time zone, so my natural body rhythm was always in synch. (no jet lag issues)
3. I always flew in unpressurized airplanes below 10,000 feet. (a healthy environment)
4. I always had direct contact with my crew and passengers. (I was not locked into a cockpit and isolated)
5. I found float flying to be extremely challenging and it took me to countless interesting places.
6. I did not spend a lot of time in big airports removing my shoes to prove to some TSA expert that I was not a terrorist.
7. I did all of the flying, there was no co-pilot or auto pilot.
8. Sometimes, I actual flew over 20 sectors a day, some airline pilots only get 4 sectors a month.
9. I made all of the weather decisions.
10. Sometimes, I could take the airplane fishing with my family.
After a long career, I have discovered that the important thing is to enjoy what you love to do. If you are happy and healthy, the money really doesn't matter that much. Spending 17 hours at FL 410 on the auto pilot through 8 time zones for big bucks was not my idea of a good time. BUT, then some pilots really like that kind of life style. Me..... I chose the road less travelled, and that made all the difference. (Robert Frost)
There are some great float operators out there, KBA, MAT, TMA, Harbour Air, TransWest Air, Osprey Wings, Air Tindi, Arctic Sunwest, North Pacific Air, SeaAir, Vancouver Island Air ...just to mention a few.
Just my thoughts....fly safe!

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Return to “General Comments”