Dangers of erecting a Xmas tree with a chopper

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Jukebox_hero
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Dangers of erecting a Xmas tree with a chopper

Post by Jukebox_hero »

Now watch closely kids!
---------- ADS -----------

the_cr
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by the_cr »

Seems like a better seat belt system is needed, or needs to actually be used :shock: One guy nearly tossed from the helicopter and the other winds up in the back seat. Doesn't seem like that should happen in a crash.

Also, while I don't know the situation it seems like it could have been done without the use of a helicopter in a harbour. Too many cables, which are too hard to see to be safe.

It is good to hear no one was seriously injured.

Apollo
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Apollo »

Joe Blow Schmo
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Joe Blow Schmo »

the_cr wrote:Seems like a better seat belt system is needed, or needs to actually be used :shock: One guy nearly tossed from the helicopter and the other winds up in the back seat. Doesn't seem like that should happen in a crash.
There was only one guy in helicopter.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

yikes.

Glad no one was seriously hurt, another good training video. The seatbelts work fine except when you are only wearing a lap belt, the shoulder harnesses make it difficult to see out and down. The machine is a total write off.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Looked like the seat broke off and went into the back of the machine. He might have been belted to it still.

the_cr
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by the_cr »

Joe Blow Schmo wrote:
the_cr wrote:Seems like a better seat belt system is needed, or needs to actually be used :shock: One guy nearly tossed from the helicopter and the other winds up in the back seat. Doesn't seem like that should happen in a crash.
There was only one guy in helicopter.
In which case it really didn't do the job.

justwork
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by justwork »

Heliian wrote:yikes.

The machine is a total write off.
Nah, I think that would buff right out.

mmartin1872
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mmartin1872 »

2 really lucky guys... The pilot, and the guy trying to disconnect the 'long line' from the belly hook. (he's wearing black, under the helicopter)

http://www.3news.co.nz/Lucky-to-come-aw ... fault.aspx

J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by J31 »

mmartin1872 wrote:2 really lucky guys... The pilot, and the guy trying to disconnect the 'long line' from the belly hook. (he's wearing black, under the helicopter)

http://www.3news.co.nz/Lucky-to-come-aw ... fault.aspx
That is a better view. You can see the cable he hit coming off the the tower on the left of the screen.

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

I notice just before the incident the rigger on the ground whipping the cable, wonder if this could have been the disturbance that started the accident

Lowjack
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lowjack »

Here is some up close and personal footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5aMT9MB ... e=youtu.be

YCL Boy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by YCL Boy »

From the link just above at 1:40 you clearly see the cable pulled by the guy under the helicopter directly into the rotor blades.
Scary sight...

Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Nark »

Looks like an open and shut case to me.

Someone owes the pilot a lifetime of beer...

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Semper Fidelis
“De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites"-
Do not wish death for your enemy, plan it.
Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

The pilot made the mistake of descending into his longline which was still attached to the top of the tower they were erecting. The guy on the ground is not to blame, the a/c was hitting the line regardless. The angle where you see the line attached to both tower and hook ends as the cameraman can sense the impending doom and then you see him run across the other angle before the accident happens. I have no idea why they didn't "punch off" the line from either end before getting into this mess. It's a miracle noone was killed.

For information, the seat belt is attached to hard points on the floor for the lap belt and the shoulder harness is attached to the seat back itself. The shoulder harness would have kept him better contained on the seat but I can't say if it led to the seat breaking. No helmet either, the pilot should be buying the heli gods beer.

HS-748 2A
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by HS-748 2A »

Heliian wrote: I have no idea why they didn't "punch off" the line from either end before getting into this mess.
You can't "punch off" a line that has no weight on it. It wouldn't have fallen out of the hook.

There's a very candid interview with the pilot that I cannot seem to find at the moment.

He makes a comment about the mountains of paperwork they filled out before doing this job.

I just cannot understand why that paperwork didn't prevent the accident. :roll:

'48

Edited: Here's the link to the interview.
http://www.3news.co.nz/Pilot-says-he-is ... fault.aspx

The fastest way to turn money into smoke and noise..
The Mole
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Mole »

HS-748 2A wrote:
Heliian wrote: I have no idea why they didn't "punch off" the line from either end before getting into this mess.
You can't "punch off" a line that has no weight on it. It wouldn't have fallen out of the hook.

There's a very candid interview with the pilot that I cannot seem to find at the moment.

He makes a comment about the mountains of paperwork they filled out before doing this job.

I just cannot understand why that paperwork didn't prevent the accident. :roll:

'48

Edited: Here's the link to the interview.
http://www.3news.co.nz/Pilot-says-he-is ... fault.aspx

Wrong wrong wrong, :roll: A properly functioning hook of good quality has not problem dropping an empty line. If you used the wrong size load ring or no load ring at all, then you can have problems. An Onboard hook maybe takes 1lbs of weight to open. Even if it didn't a little shack from machine will cause it to fall open. Its New zealand, gods knows how he rigged it, or the low quality hook being used. But what he says in the that interview is wrong.

I do this kind of work for a living. Our hooks can open with just a small 3/8 metal shackle on them. When the aircraft is on the ground. THis includes the most popular hooks for astars Onboard and Breeze eastern......

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

The Mole wrote:

Wrong wrong wrong, :roll: A properly functioning hook of good quality has not problem dropping an empty line. If you used the wrong size load ring or no load ring at all, then you can have problems. An Onboard hook maybe takes 1lbs of weight to open. Even if it didn't a little shack from machine will cause it to fall open. Its New zealand, gods knows how he rigged it, or the low quality hook being used. But what he says in the that interview is wrong.

I do this kind of work for a living. Our hooks can open with just a small 3/8 metal shackle on them. When the aircraft is on the ground. THis includes the most popular hooks for astars Onboard and Breeze eastern......
I think he also says they didn't want to damage the structure. Anyway, I guess in hindsight he probably realises that it wasn't the smartest decision to land right next to the structure with the line still attached. But how come nobody reading their paperwork noticed a problem with the plan either?

flyalmaguin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flyalmaguin »

Incredible video, glad the pilot wasn't hurt.

The news anchor looks like she might need some comforting. :smt040

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Well why would the line fall out of the hook? It's upside down in NZ - surely the weight of the line would have held the line in place? :rolleyes:

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.

Return to “General Comments”