who qualifies to be a "captain"

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

seasonaldriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

who qualifies to be a "captain"

Post by seasonaldriver »

It's rather vague in my mind as to whom may preface their name with the title of "Captain". Is there a convention of minimum size of aircraft, number of engines or what?

Any ideas or knowledge people here may have would be appreciated.

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

LisaS
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: who qualifies to be a "captain"

Post by LisaS »

No sir. It's and attitude.

seasonaldriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by seasonaldriver »

That's too bad...I've never met a pilot with an attitude. lol

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

If you are in COMMAND of an aircraft proffesionally. You my friend are a CAPTAIN! Regardless of size/configuration.

HavaJava
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HavaJava »

Everybody's got a little "Captain" in them!

Prairie Chicken
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Prairie Chicken »

Some a little more than others, HavaJava!

Prairie Chicken
seasonaldriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by seasonaldriver »

We may all have a bit of the "Captain" in us(The Kraken is better) but doncha think the pilot of, say a 185, calling him(her)self "Captain" just a tad pretentious?

KK7
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KK7 »

Some aircraft have Aircraft Flight Manuals provided by the manufacturer that refers to the left seat occupant as the "Captain" and the right seat as either "Co-pilot" or "First Officer". Further to that, some companies make this reference in their Standard Operating Procedures and/or Company Operations Manual.

But in general, I think the term Captain is primarily used when there are two pilots in a two crew airplane or operation. In a single pilot airplane, the pilot is usually referred to as just "the pilot", or if you really want to sound important to your passengers, the "PIC".

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Colonel Sanders »

Gavin Macleod on "Love Boat" will always be my Captain!

N2
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by N2 »

Everyones favorite Captain!

Putting money into aviation is like wiping before you poop....it just don't make sense!
trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Hmmmmm ..here I always thought it had to do with the size of the sunglasses and watch.

Seriously, in some cultures it is a mark of respect. I can recall flying a twin otter in a different country, and being referred to as Captain even when out of uniform. And there was an expectation to act appropriately. A captain who decided to compete with the locals for sleeping space under the table at the bar, would have a serious problem with the CP the next day. In the north in Canada, he could simply wake up, under the table and talk to the CP under the next table.

Canadian aviaition is much different.. And structured like nowhere else..Instructor...lowest...single engine land. light twin or floats, turbine multi, heavy.
We pay lip service to those "below" but dont dare expect them to call themselves captain.
Time we smartened up and started respecting the profession. That lowly instructor (in some people opinion) is the person who is teaching the people we will fly with, or will keep general aviation alive. They deserve Captain. So do the single pilot floatcaptains.. Most of them actually fly a hell of a lot better than your typical heavy driver after a couple of years of watching TV in the cockpit for a living.
But, alas, it is the Canadian way to bash ourselves. Yes there will always be the pretentious ones. A fact of life. But Canadian pilots really need to start doing things to earn the respect they deserve.
But then, it is really only in Canada that a new CPL would even consider ramping as an actual career path, or a way to demonstrate their attributes to a company that cannot seem to do it any other way..

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
robertsailor1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by robertsailor1 »

well said

Cough Syrup
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Cough Syrup »

jeta1
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by jeta1 »

Last edited by jeta1 on Sun May 06, 2012 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

jeta1 wrote:
seasonaldriver wrote:doncha think the pilot of, say a 185, calling him(her)self "Captain" just a tad pretentious?
a tad and a bunch... Whomever said it was a sign of "respect" was right... there is no formal or official glossary or definition of a "Captain" epithet before a person's name for aviation personnel. Most aviation personnel who use that, particularly the likes of ALPA officials, or ICAO officials, all call themsleves Captain so and so. I always laugh at joe know-it-alls at ICAO who call themsleves Captain Hugh MacGarrett the THIRD, or such crap. It is all gibbrish and upmanship, as it says nothing else than this person at one point of their life was PIC of an aircraft - any aircraft. Heck - we all earned the "right' when we first solo'ed!!! There is no formal accreditation ANYWHERE for the term. In fact anyone can call themselves Captain as long as they rode a tricycle or a golf cart. The only people who deserved to be called Captain so and so are our brave military officers of that particular rank, or police Captains who have earned that rank.
In the Military there are 2 kinds of "Captains"

"Hey You" captains, that is 2 stripers in the Army or Air Force, and

"Excuse me Sir" Captains, that is 4 stripers in the Navy

Go Juice
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Go Juice »

My Captain!

A device is yet to be invented that will measure my indifference to this remark.
jjj
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jjj »

Edited. C'mon jjj, you can do better than that.
JJJ

seasonaldriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by seasonaldriver »

"a tad and a bunch... Whomever said it was a sign of "respect" was right... there is no formal or official glossary or definition of a "Captain" epithet before a person's name for aviation personnel. Most aviation personnel who use that, particularly the likes of ALPA officials, or ICAO officials, all call themsleves Captain so and so. I always laugh at joe know-it-alls at ICAO who call themsleves Captain Hugh MacGarrett the THIRD, or such crap. It is all gibbrish and upmanship, as it says nothing else than this person at one point of their life was PIC of an aircraft - any aircraft. Heck - we all earned the "right' when we first solo'ed!!! There is no formal accreditation ANYWHERE for the term."

My point exactly. Thank you jeta1.

Now, should I get the word "Captain" in 64 or 72 point letters on my especially sized business card? Just kidding. really.
Even though I fly a turbine I'm just the driver and only called captain when someone is buying me a beer in the bar.

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

Fly outside of Canada/USA and you will be called "Captain" by everyone....the uniform is much more respected across the globe than it is here

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Colonel Sanders »

Even though I fly a turbine I'm just the driver
Me too. I fly turbojet, flat/round/turbocharged/geared piston,
they're all the same to me. They just push air behind the aircraft.

I don't get the god-like aura around turbines - they're a heluva
lot easier to operate than piston. Would you call a Caravan
driver "Captain"?!

Return to “General Comments”