UV exposure in the cockpit

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: UV exposure in the cockpit

Post by BE20 Driver »

I don't need prescription glasses - yet.

I was asking because I broke my sunglasses I bought at MEC years ago. They were quite comfortable with my headset on. Unfortunately MEC doesn't make these particular glasses any longer. I went in and browsed their selection. The only glasses that weren't polarized were photochromatic lenses which is the same technology as the Transitions prescription glasses.

I had only been asking from the point of view of which sunglasses to get. All this talk of CR and UV exposure is definitely eye-opening. I'm currently flying under FL260 so I'm not getting a very elevated exposure - yet.

I'm pretty sure that Transport Canada is too busy sorting out SMS and balancing their budget to worry about things like actual health and safety of crews.
---------- ADS -----------

grimey
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by grimey »

co-joe wrote:I used "photo grey" prescription glasses years ago, they barely worked at all in the car and in the plane. Pretty much useless. The weird thing was they got incredibly dark on low overcast days. Go for clip ons or get a fighter pilot helmet with a cool visor.
The transition coating is temperature sensitive, they'll get darker in cooler environments, and take longer to clear once you enter a dark area if it's cooler out.

no sig because apparently quoting people in context is offensive to them.
Hawkerflyer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hawkerflyer »

Airbrake wrote:TTJJ It's 2011 and where in YYZ can you find a HEALTHY meal? Are there many options?
The Keg
- Keg Ceasar
- Mushroom Neptune
- Beer
- Blue cheese filet w/twice baked potato.
- Beer

Awww crap, I'm screwed.

"Six of us broke formation, five Jerries and I". - George "Buzz" Beurling
Airbrake
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Airbrake »

Hawkerflyer, I love the list, unfortunately a bit short on content.

There are definitely healthier options, but I'll ask, how are they working for everyone? Tim's is a great Canadian icon, but they sure as hell dont support healthier food choices.
How many out there are anywhere near the weight they were at when they started? (I hate using weight but it is simple)

How many can legitimately say they are healthier now then when they started aviation.
I will say there are some, the majority though fall into another category. Why is that?

These are legit questions that MUST be asked if we as a group want to retire into something other than a long term care facility or something worse.

Any who works for an airline will be given the opportunity to travel with loved ones to almost anywhere. Will our health allow us be able to go anywhere without hesitation. I hope, but I have seen a huge number not be able too. This is something to consider as we make our way through our careers. The important stuff to us now is the stuff we see every day, pairing length, pay etc. Let's not forget what it is we are all working for.....retirement. If we support ourselves correctly, it can make a huge difference to our lives and the enjoyment of it at the end.

Something to consider

Strobes
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Strobes »

I use transitions and I've never had an issue. The problem of having transitions is that they don't get dark very quickly, which bothers some people. Personally, I'm just too lazy to have a second pair (and can't be bothered to pay for one) within arm's reach to change whenever I get above cloud layers. I'll gladly squint for 3-5 minutes until it gets better.

Jastapilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Jastapilot »

I've read enough about CR that I'm not concerned about it. There are far more dangerous things we're exposed to on a daily basis as pilots that should be addressed long before worrying about CR.
The chemicals in our food, circadian rhythm disruptions, pathogens from passengers and crew who insist on flying sick, sunburns on the beach on layovers, alcohol abuse, hmm, what else? ;)

Hawkerflyer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hawkerflyer »

Airbrake wrote:Hawkerflyer, I love the list, unfortunately a bit short on content.
It was just a joke in regards to healthy eating around YYZ. (lack there of)

"Six of us broke formation, five Jerries and I". - George "Buzz" Beurling
BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BE20 Driver »

FWIW regarding my original post - I drove around with the sunglasses today. They seemed ok when I took the dog for a walk this morning. They were not quite as good as I had hoped in the car though. I assume there is a UV coating which blocks sufficient rays to activate the tinting. I am guessing that I'll have the same problem in the plane.

Now back to discussing all the various other things that will kill pilots.

Airbrake
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Airbrake »

Hawkerflyer wrote:
Airbrake wrote:Hawkerflyer, I love the list, unfortunately a bit short on content.
It was just a joke in regards to healthy eating around YYZ. (lack there of)

Yeah, as was mine, this medium loses some of the intended humor sometimes. Oh well

Airbrake
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Airbrake »

Lots of interesting articles, Some are older and epidemiological. Which by nature must be looked at very carefully.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21888274

Population and animal studies indicate that long-term exposure to short-wavelength visible light and ultraviolet (UV) radiation causes increased risk of certain ocular pathologies such as cataracts and maculopathy. The potential risk to flight crew is unknown. The UK Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) has issued guidance to pilots regarding sunglass selection; however, it is not known if this guidance is appropriate given pilots' unique occupational environment. A search and appraisal of the relevant literature was conducted which showed that within the airline pilot population, there is limited evidence of a higher prevalence of cataracts. There are no data of other known UV-related ocular pathology. There is some evidence of higher prevalence of skin melanomas. Studies measuring cockpit UV radiation levels are limited and leave unanswered questions regarding airline pilot exposure. Data from optical transmission of cockpit windshields demonstrates the UV blocking properties at sea level. No studies have addressed the occupational use of sunglasses in airline pilots. Although it is likely that an aircraft windshield effectively blocks UV-B, the intensity of UV-A and short wavelength blue light present within the cockpit at altitude is unknown. Pilots may be exposed to solar radiation for periods of many hours during flight where UV radiation is known to be significantly greater. Aircraft windshields should have a standard for optical transmission, particularly of short-wavelength radiation. Clear, untinted prescription glasses will offer some degree of UV protection; however, sunglasses will offer superior protection. Any sunglasses used should conform to a national standard.

Incidence of cancer among commercial airline pilots.
Rafnsson V, Hrafnkelsson J, Tulinius H.
Source
Department of Preventive Medicine, University of Iceland, Reykjavik, Iceland.
Abstract
OBJECTIVES:
To describe the cancer pattern in a cohort of commercial pilots by follow up through the Icelandic Cancer Registry.
METHODS:
This is a retrospective cohort study of 458 pilots with emphasis on subcohort working for an airline operating on international routes. A computerised file of the cohort was record linked to the Cancer Registry by making use of personal identification numbers. Expected numbers of cancer cases were calculated on the basis of number of person-years and incidences of cancer at specific sites for men provided by the Cancer Registry. Numbers of separate analyses were made according to different exposure variables.
RESULTS:
The standardised incidence ratio (SIR) for all cancers was 0.97 (95% confidence interval (95% CI) 0.62 to 1.46) in the total cohort and 1.16 (95% CI 0.70 to 1.81) among those operating on international routes. The SIR for malignant melanoma of the skin was 10.20, 95% CI 3.29 to 23.81 in the total cohort and 15.63, 95% CI 5.04 to 36.46 in the restricted cohort. Analyses according to number of block-hours and radiation dose showed that malignant melanomas were found in the subgroups with highest exposure estimates, the SIRs were 13.04 and 28.57 respectively. The SIR was 25.00 for malignant melanoma among those who had been flying over five time zones.
CONCLUSIONS:
The study shows a high occurrence of malignant melanoma among pilots. It is open to discussion what role exposure of cosmic radiation, numbers of block-hours flown, or lifestyle factors--such as possible excessive sunbathing--play in the aetiology of cancer among pilots. This calls for further and more powerful studies. The excess of malignant melanoma among those flying over five time zones suggests that the importance of disturbance of the circadian rhythm should be taken into consideration in future studies.

tmrh22
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tmrh22 »

I am working on reporting on this issue. If you are interested in talking to the media, pm me please.

Return to “General Comments”