Mazza FIRED. Orgne in receivership

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

FL280
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Ornge-The truth is emerging (finally)

Post by FL280 »

---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by FL280 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ILS26_Steep
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ILS26_Steep »

I remember going for an interview there a while back. And the guy on the interview panel had asked me my opinion on what I thought about of the asthetics of there office building. I seriously sat there and was going to say, who gives a shit! But he felt I had a tough time answering that question when asking my opinion on there Crystal Palace. When in fact I couldn't give a shit and couldnt believe this was an interview question.

They had a press release for 5 airplanes in 2009 but never publicly announced the remainder I dont think.

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

FL280 wrote:I see maybe Ornge restructuring, maybe other members representing the public and the investors on the BOD. They actually bought 10 PC12's all together. Not sure if it was secret though?
Perhaps allowing the private sector to operate the PC12's? Or, send them all back to FK in YQT! But, I hope they go TU.

FL280
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by FL280 »

FL280
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by FL280 »

marked
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re PC12's kickback next

Post by marked »

So there is evidence that the helicopter company gave donations (kickback) to the "For Profit" company ... do you not think that the same scheme was in place for the PC12's - wake up pilots / staff/ am's / all you arm chair quarterbacks - this is a tough business with minor profits. If it sounds too good to be true ...

FL280
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by FL280 »

Last edited by FL280 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FL280
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by FL280 »

Last edited by FL280 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

FL280, you're swinging at windmills. I can hear the rats splashing as they scurry off the sinking ship! Face it. Ornge is DISHONEST! You may read it as the problem is at the top. Perhaps it is....but Ornge should be dismantled and the business given back to the private sector. There's an elephant in the room. An Ornge one!

oldncold
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by oldncold »

Here is my 2bits worth. the liberals in ontario are in a minorty gov't now ergo shit will hit the fan and the axes will roll to c.y.a. to hold on in power.Never underestimate the gold plated mpp pensions and benefits to motivate them to clean house at any ones expense but their own.

To which means that he pc12's now operated by ornge will go out to tender as it should have done in the first place. probably as 5yr option for renewal mgt contract or if the stink is bad enough the contract will include the pc12 the helicopter are already under chc mgt //which leaves in the province 2 -5 qualified companies to bid on the tender.

1/air bravo may 2003 they got their first pc12 though due to owner checkered history and recent personal issues that might be a steeper hill to climb they one would think.
2/ thunder airlines as they were first at the proof of concept for the pc12 in 1998-2000 ,
3/ northern airborne solutions .
4/wasaya if it so desired
5/and that other if you can't beat them buy them out discovery air.

in the end the medics will scream there so hard done by :x the pilots will whine about having to work longer hours :roll: and no more 4star hotel and meals. life will move on and more patients per day will be moved by the private air operators through standing offer agreements . orgne will be a communciations desk occ and certification for the medics . happy holidays

Morav
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Morav »

FL280, you sound extremely naive.

Do you honestly believe that Ornge's for-profit parent(whatever) companies are actually profitable?????? Profitable enough to pay these rats those outrageous wages? Profitable enough to pay for 10 new PC12, or all those Agustas? Profitable enough to buy a huge hanger in YQT, and a mega base at YYZ?

There's some serious scheming going on, and I doubt the tax payers are the only one's getting duped.

People like Mazza are parasites in our modern age.

FL280
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by FL280 »

Well Doc, as per usual, we have opinions that don't agree. Take that for what it is. Here's to a sporty new year! Happy holidays and fly safe. Bye til 2012!

nwesterntown
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by nwesterntown »

FL280 wrote:Just curious, what are the guidelines for salary in regards to non-profit companies operated by the province or federal government? It may have been 'outrageous' but did he break any laws in receiving his salary? Other than a obvious moral one?
Morav wrote:FL280, you sound extremely naive.

Do you honestly believe that Ornge's for-profit parent(whatever) companies are actually profitable?????? Profitable enough to pay these rats those outrageous wages? Profitable enough to pay for 10 new PC12, or all those Agustas? Profitable enough to buy a huge hanger in YQT, and a mega base at YYZ?

There's some serious scheming going on, and I doubt the tax payers are the only one's getting duped.

People like Mazza are parasites in our modern age.

This kind of thing will continue, everywhere, until people start going to jail........

Merry Christmas

YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

ipilot54 wrote: Health Minister Deb Matthews called Mazza’s salary and others at the non-profit ORNGE “outrageous, shocking and unacceptable.” “When you consider the financial pressures in health care and the pressures on health-care workers, it is very hard to see taxpayers’ money spent on outrageous salaries,” Matthews said in an interview. Matthews, asked to comment on the salaries, would only say that, as of Thursday, she has all of the executive pay packages (including bonuses) at ORNGE, but privacy rules forbid her from releasing them. She would not provide Mazza’s salary, but did say his was the most “outrageous.”
From the MOH website: "Deb Matthews was elected to the Ontario Legislature by the people of London North Centre in 2003, and re-elected in 2007 and 2011. Following her first re-election, she was appointed Minister of Children and Youth Services and Minister Responsible for Women’s Issues. In October 2009, she was appointed to her current position as Minister of Health and Long-Term Care."

That's ballsy. Scream bloody murder when the Toronto Star uncovers the story, even though you've been the Minister of Health for just over two years.
oldncold wrote:Here is my 2bits worth. the liberals in ontario are in a minorty gov't now ergo shit will hit the fan and the axes will roll to c.y.a. to hold on in power.Never underestimate the gold plated mpp pensions and benefits to motivate them to clean house at any ones expense but their own.
Exactly. As Chris Mazza is in the process of finding out.

Hiflyer2
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hiflyer2 »

More good news from the Ornge front lines.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/arti ... =1#article

Hiflyer2
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hiflyer2 »

It was certainly interesting to watch this story unfold because it has been a ridiculous debacle since day one. The real details of this whole scandal tend to be here say. Unfortunately I believe the leader of this web of companies have had some very talented help hiding the money in the various foundations. It is highly unlikely the premier and cabinet will launch a full scale criminal proceeding because the government will likely fall and be implicated in the proceedings. I personally believe when and if they get to end of the money trail some high end brass will fry and some of the names will sound very familiar. Above and beyond the Fruit Punch. (Various Ornge Boards). As much as Mazza is guilty of misdoing and abuse of salary, he has a few boards that were also responsible to the public. This will be very interesting!!!!! BRING IT ON!!!!

Hiflyer2
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hiflyer2 »

The newspapers and opposition parties should be calling for a full judicial enquiry and bring all the players to the table. Every air ambulance company in Ontario will likely have plenty to say about this! I have a funny feeling they have been gagged by Ornge if they wanted any further business!!!!

Maynard
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Maynard »

ORNGE- no A, no Accountability

I guess I should write something here.
whipline
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by whipline »

Congratulations Toronto star!! I have a buddy working in the office at ornge. He's one of the whistle blowers. He has numerous stories of dispatching aircraft and then being told by his boss to stand them down. Ornge was not in the game to save lives.

ipilot54
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ipilot54 »

Cohn: The political roots of the ORNGE helicopter debacle
Published On Fri Dec 23 2011 Toronto Star

Under george Smitherman’s guidance as health minister, Martin Regg Cohn writes, transformation of Ontario’s old air ambulance services into the non-profit ORNGE operation went only to the management board (which oversees and allocates funding).

Under george Smitherman’s guidance as health minister, Martin Regg Cohn writes, transformation of Ontario’s old air ambulance services into the non-profit ORNGE operation went only to the management board (which oversees and allocates funding).

We now know what Chris Mazza, the head of Ontario’s publicly funded air ambulance service, makes a year — $1.4 million.

That’s roughly seven times what the premier makes. And about five times the average hospital CEO salary. It’s even more than the $1.3 million earned by the nuclear engineer who runs OPG, an electrical utility with 10 nuclear reactors and 60 hydroelectric stations.

We know Mazza’s salary as chief executive of ORNGE (and its affiliated companies) not because he thought to disclose his salary on the annual list of people on the public payroll (he dodged), nor because he deigned to answer media queries (he refused), nor because his high-priced outside PR consultant came clean.

After a series of exposes, Toronto Star investigative reporter Kevin Donovan learned from his confidential sources that the head of Ontario’s medical helicopter fleet earns more than any public servant in the province.

With the provincial auditor general now looking at the books, and a team of forensic auditors from the finance ministry swooping in on its offices Friday, perhaps we might also learn how much ORNGE is paying Hill & Knowlton — the damage control and public relations consulting firm that typically bills $500 an hour — out of public funds in order to stonewall the public.

Health Minister Deb Matthews is seeing red over the ORNGE debacle, which feeds public suspicions of waste, self-dealing, scandalously high salaries and picayune perks.

Remember eHealth consultants who conspicuously consumed Choco Bites on their infamous expense claims? Now we learn that the CEO of our air ambulance services demanded a chilled smoothie on his desk at 3 p.m. every day while ministering to the sick and infirm by deploying a fleet of helicopters across the province from his gleaming new command centre.

Matthews says she was in the dark about ORNGE until, prodded by the Star’s coverage and the auditor general’s initial findings (his draft report has already been circulated), she demanded answers. In fact, opposition MPPs have been raising tough questions about the air ambulance arrangement for months without getting straight answers.

But like the eHealth controversy that has plagued the Liberal government for years, the ORNGE haze long predates Matthews. And it shares a common lineage with two other thorns in the government’s side — the controversial Green Energy Act and the Samsung deal, both of which attracted the auditor’s eye and opposition ire again this month.

What’s the common theme linking all these political minefields — ORNGE, eHealth, Samsung and green energy?

All roads lead to an ex-politician named George Smitherman. You remember, Dalton McGuinty’s second-in-command as deputy premier?

It’s not that everything he touched turned to dross — he merely left a mess behind for others to clean up. The gift that keeps on giving.

“Furious George,” as Smitherman was quickly dubbed, certainly knew how to kick down doors. He just didn’t know how to seal the cracks and fissures for the inevitable storm fronts.

It would be too easy to scapegoat Smitherman, however. Most of the big decisions were taken together with his fellow ministers and the premier under the rubric of collective decision-making by cabinet — sometimes after long and heated discussions.

Most of them, at any rate. The ORNGE spin-off stands as a notable exception.

It turns out that the full cabinet never approved the transformation of Ontario’s old air ambulance services into the shiny new non-profit ORNGE operation. Under Smitherman’s guidance as health minister, it went only to the management board (that oversees and allocates funding). Which explains why many ministers are scratching their heads over the political death spiral of this helicopter fleet.

As for its ambitious expansion plans — setting up for-profit affiliates that allowed the CEO to bulk up his salary from a handsome $300,000 to an egregious $1.4 million — ORNGE “never sought approval, nor did we give it,” a health ministry spokesperson insisted.

And the government never gave it a second look.

Return to “General Comments”