A story of Inspiration ( Good read ) of a fellow Canuck

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

nosewheeel
Rank 1
Rank 1

A story of Inspiration ( Good read ) of a fellow Canuck

Post by nosewheeel »

I found this on another site. It's an interesting story of a small town Canadian in Aviation. The site is gone so here the story in print.

Art Powell Pilot. A Story of Inspiration

Post by nosewheeel » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:09 am
In July 10, 1938 Howard Hughes and his crew departed Floyd Bennett Field, Long Island New York and flew round the world in a Lockheed 14 Lodestar. After circling the globe covering 14,672 miles in three days, nineteen hours, fourteen minutes and ten seconds, they returned to NY. Hughes 1938 round the world flight had taken just over 91 hours and established a record to be beaten sometime in the future.
In 1984 racing driver, Henri Pescarolo and Air France pilot, Patrick Fourticq landed their Piper Malibu in Paris France after a flight from New York, setting a speed record of 14 hours 2 minutes for a single engine aircraft across the North Atlantic. Breaking speed records wet their appetite for more sensational flights.
In June, 1987 Patrick Fourticq with his crew, Henri Pescarolo, Hubert Auriol and Arthur Powell took up the challenge to beat Hughes and flew into the record books making a similar circumnavigation in 88 hours and 48 minutes. The book, The Great Challenge (Le Grand Challenge) by Albin Michel, details this audacious challenge flight.
The Lockheed 18 Lodestar (N7001) that Fourticq Captained was basically a lengthened version of the Lockheed 14. This Lodestar had been scraped in an aircraft grave yard in the Bahamas being used as a giant chicken coop. It was purchased by Justerini & Brooks and transported to Fort Lauderdale FL. Don Haynes Aviation; a certified "Airframe and Power plant" outfit accepted the challenge to make the aircraft airworthy for its ferry flight to France. Professional Flight Engineer and certified Airframe & Power plant Mechanic,A.M.E and Pilot, Art Powell headed up the efforts to bring the Lodestar back to operational life. Art's extensive aircraft/engine knowledge and ability earned him an invitation to become one of the crew on the upcoming round the world flight attempt. The aircraft was ferried to France where Art joined Fourticq and the others and for the next eight months and 5,000 hours of labor, the Lodestar was fully restored and prepared for its round the world flight by Art and his crew of French mechanics. The aircraft remained US registered.
Patrick Fourticq selected his crew. Henri Pescarolo (race car speed record holder & pilot) and Hubert Auriol (motorcycle speed record holder & pilot) together with Art Powell (engineer & pilot) would make the round the world flight attempt. Justerini & Brooks named the Lodestar, the "Spirit of J&B."
The flight departed the Paris Air Show on June 17, 1987. Its flight path took it to Svalbard Norway, over the North Pole to Fairbanks AK, to Vancouver British Columbia Canada, Los Angeles CA, Miami FL, New York NY, Gander Newfoundland, returning to the Paris Air Show on June 21, 1987. While in New York 35,000 ping pong balls were loaded in the belly of the aircraft in case of an ocean ditching over the Atlantic as this was also done by Howard Hughes. The Lockheed 18 Lodestar circumnavigation covered 14,587 miles in 88H 48M beating Hughes' 1938 Lockheed 14 Lodestar flight.
Several in flight technical problems (a compass failure, a fuel leak and oil leak) were overcome with equipment changes and quick response ingenuity. All four of the men took turns flying the aircraft and or performed navigational functions during the 3 ½ day trip. "Nous battons Hughes" We beat Hughes!
One of the men instrumental in this flight was Art Powell. Art was born in New Westminster, B.C. In 1969 he worked in Trail at Cominco until being seriously injured in a motor-cycle accident in August 1970. In 1972 with his older brother Brian, he moved back to Trail and started "Powell's Brake and Muffler" a specialty repair shop. Seeking a lifestyle change in 1974, he left Trail and worked as an auto-mechanic in Northern B.C. and the Yukon.
Art began a 3-year apprentice program to become an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer. He worked for North Cariboo Air Services on many different types of aircraft, many bush planes and a Convair 440. He earned his A.M.E. certificate and began as a ride on Mechanic on the Convair 440 aircraft which was used to transport prisoners across Canada. While flying these charter-flights, he fell in love with flying. In the US, Art received his A&P license, his Pilot's license and a few years later, his Flight Engineer's license. He began flying professionally on DC 6 aircraft out of Ypsilanti Michigan and Miami Florida in 1983.
Art Powell is an inspiration to us all especially an inspiration to our youth. When he was faced with difficulty, he not only asked, "What should I do?" but "What should I understand? His contribution made this round-the-world challenge flight a success.
Art was an integral part of the success of a team effort (Patrick Fourticq with his crew, Henri Pescarolo, Hubert Auriol and Arthur Powell). As a coin has two sides, a pilot is only as good as the plane he flies. Their round-the-world flight proves that "success happens when preparation meets opportunity."
A marital situation brought Art back to Trail where he worked with his brother at the Muffler Shop. He ventured from Trail again traveling to southern Florida finding employment with Don Haynes Aviation in Fort Lauderdale. Here he began his round-the-world adventure.
After completing this round-the-world challenge flight, Art again returned to Trail for a short time before going back to Detroit flying on the DC 8 with Rossenbalm Aviation. He accepted a multi-year contract with Parc Aviation flying on the DC 8 with Saudi Airlines and Kenya Airways. In 1991 while flying for Kenya Airways, Art was involved in the evacuation of foreign Nationals out of Saudi Arabia and Mogadishu as well as other African cities affected by the first Gulf War. After the war ended and before leaving Africa, Art competed as a driver in the 1991 Safari Rally in Kenya then returned once again to Trail and worked with his brother at the Muffler Shop.
In 1992 Art met his present wife in Trail and in 1994 between ground school and Simulator training for American International Airlines they were married and Art began commuting from Trail to AIA (owned by Connie Kalitta) in Ypsilanti, Michigan. Art flew the DC 8 for one year, the L 1011 for five years then the Airline filed bankruptcy and shut down. Art took a job on the B-727 for Ryan International flying Sport Hawk Charters. After almost a year at Ryan was laid off he then took a contract job in Luanda, Angola flying diesel fuel with a B-727 to the diamond mines in Angola. While in Luanda, Art and five American crew-members were held hostage for three weeks awaiting their rescue through US Embassy efforts.
Art returned home to Trail and when Kalitta started up a new airline, he began flying on the jumbo B-747 until 2004. Due to medical reasons and a desire to spend more time at home in Trail, Art left the flying business for good.
Art's aviation career has been memorable and was highlighted by recognition in international TV, radio, press, book and the Internet for his participation in the 1987 RTW flight which beat industrialist, Howard Hughes' 1938 record flight in a similar Lockheed aircraft.
Past accomplishments in aviation have set the bar higher for future generations to exceed those records. Arthur Powell's role in the past has contributed greatly to the aviation successes of the present, and towards aviation feats of the future yet to be conceived.
Submitted by: Richard Porcelli (founder of wingnet)
http://www.wingnet.org/rtw/__
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by nosewheeel on Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nosewheeel
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: A story of Inspiration ( Good read ) of a fellow Canuck

Post by nosewheeel »

After the flight at the Paris Air Show

Attachments
Art Kissing the Prop.jpg
Art Kissing the Prop.jpg (359.38 KiB) Viewed 6097 times
nosewheeel
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by nosewheeel »

I'm curious if anyone here would have any pictures of these guys when they landed in "Gander" during the Round the World flight. It would have been in June of 1987. Thanx in advance.

nosewheeel
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by nosewheeel »

I'm a little surprised Noboby was in Gander during this. How about when they landed in Abbotsford ? Anyone ?

nosewheeel
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by nosewheeel »

Found a pic of the L-18 they flew Around the world in 1987 breaking Howard Hughes record set in 1938.

Attachments
Found another pic of the L-18 from the Round the World Flight
Found another pic of the L-18 from the Round the World Flight
Landing.jpg (392.32 KiB) Viewed 5489 times
nosewheeel
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by nosewheeel »

I am still looking for any pics or news clips from Canada of this Around the World flight if anyone has some. That would be Great. Please post them or PM me if you have any. Thanx :prayer:

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

I'm curious about that cowling - are those lozenge-shaped things a cowl gill arrangement? I can't say I've ever seen that before.

tower controller
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tower controller »

I've seen pictures of that aircraft here, I'll look around and see if I can find them.

nosewheeel
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by nosewheeel »

xsbank... The cowlings (paintjob) represent the Caps on the bottle of J&B Scotch.

Thanx Tower Controler. That would be great if you find some. If your in Gander, they did land there for fuel before crossing the pond.

nosewheeel
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by nosewheeel »

I didn't realise the Link was broken so , it's fixed now.

nosewheeel
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by nosewheeel »

Hi Tower Controller.

Just curious if you ever did find some pictures ? Please PM me if you did find them. Thanx. :prayer:

nosewheeel
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by nosewheeel »

Hi Tower Controller.

Thought I would try this again. Just curious if you ever did find some pictures ? Please PM me if you did find them. Thanx

If Anyone has pics from there landing in Gander or anywhere during this flight please let me know. Thanx Allot !

nosewheeel
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by nosewheeel »

Here's a Pic of the Crew.

Attachments
Gangsters.jpg
Gangsters.jpg (232.08 KiB) Viewed 3372 times
nosewheeel
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by nosewheeel »

Inside the plane with the extra fuel and oil tanks.

Attachments
Inside with the extra fuel and oil tanks.
Inside with the extra fuel and oil tanks.
Fuel Tanks.jpg (604.35 KiB) Viewed 3169 times
nosewheeel
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by nosewheeel »

The limited J&B bottle of scotch.

Attachments
Bottle Label.jpg
Bottle Label.jpg (935.69 KiB) Viewed 3168 times
nosewheeel
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by nosewheeel »

It's been a while ( 27 years ) but does anyone here have any pics of this event from Canada ( Gander ) or Anywhere else they landed ??? Thanx :prayer:

nosewheeel
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by nosewheeel »

nosewheeel
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by nosewheeel »

nosewheeel
Rank 1
Rank 1

Art Powell Pilot. A Story of Inspiration

Post by nosewheeel »

:supz:

Last edited by nosewheeel on Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

Cool story for sure

You've been at this here for 8 years - just wondering what your connection is? You seem dedicated to getting info on the Gander stop.

Cheers

Return to “General Comments”