AVEOS closes the doors

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

AVEOS closes the doors

Post by Rockie »

My sympathy goes out to the latest victims of corporate greed and government incompetence. Hopefully some sanity will return to this unfolding disaster and you will all be back working very soon. My fingers are crossed.
---------- ADS -----------

CanadianEh
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: AVEOS closes the doors

Post by CanadianEh »

That's a real shame. They will have no problems finding work, the issue will be where they have to go to get work.

High and Behind
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by High and Behind »

For those that haven't seen it....

5 years later and they flush them all down the shitter.
AC employees should all walk off the job.
Time for the people to stand for what is right

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/ ... anada.html

twinpratts
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by twinpratts »

Wow... This is terrible news. It's hard to believe this could happen in this day and age.

CID
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CID »

Yes this is shitty news but personally I don't see it as a result of any single part of Air Canada. Everyone has contributed over the decades to help it implode.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

To save the mods from having to edit a lot of bad language I will use a sarcastic euphemism.

Splendid.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

:shock: And another kick in the teeth: Union officials in Vancouver confirmed that employees at the Aveos plant there had been told to go home and leave all their equipment and personal items behind. Most engineers I know have a small fortune expended in tools and toolboxes. If you weren't cynical enough to see this coming, you now get to lose your tools indefinitely...

Good Luck guys!

KISS_MY_TCAS
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by KISS_MY_TCAS »

Rockie wrote:My sympathy goes out to the latest victims of corporate greed and government incompetence. Hopefully some sanity will return to this unfolding disaster and you will all be back working very soon. My fingers are crossed.
The fact that Air Canada owes them over 80 million has little to do with government involvement, they haven't bailed them out again. Or should I say yet.

It isn't even corporate greed as much as it is horrible management. For AVEOS to hold on as long as they did that far in arrears with AC seems bold, one can again point the finger at Team Red's management, but to me it looks like the writing is on the wall for AC. Unfortunately there is a long list of casualties now and potentially in the future. I am sure Michel LeBlanc's mouth is watering, opportunity is on the horizon and there will be no shortage of resumes.

azimuthaviation
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by azimuthaviation »

North Shore wrote::shock: And another kick in the teeth: Union officials in Vancouver confirmed that employees at the Aveos plant there had been told to go home and leave all their equipment and personal items behind. Most engineers I know have a small fortune expended in tools and toolboxes. If you weren't cynical enough to see this coming, you now get to lose your tools indefinitely...

Good Luck guys!
Small fortune is a relative term. My tool set is about equal to my first year and a half wages in this industry. The only way I would leave the building without them is after having shoved them down someones throat. Most likely either the guy who told me to leave them behind or the guy who tries to stop me from leaving with them.

And losing them indefinitely... could mean permamnently. If Im not mistaken if a company goes bankrupt owing money the creditors can seize theri proberty as well as anything inside, including employees tools, customer property etc and sell those to recoup their money.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

azimuthaviation wrote:
North Shore wrote::shock: And another kick in the teeth: Union officials in Vancouver confirmed that employees at the Aveos plant there had been told to go home and leave all their equipment and personal items behind. Most engineers I know have a small fortune expended in tools and toolboxes. If you weren't cynical enough to see this coming, you now get to lose your tools indefinitely...

Good Luck guys!
Small fortune is a relative term. My tool set is about equal to my first year and a half wages in this industry. The only way I would leave the building without them is after having shoved them down someones throat. Most likely either the guy who told me to leave them behind or the guy who tries to stop me from leaving with them.

And losing them indefinitely... could mean permamnently. If Im not mistaken if a company goes bankrupt owing money the creditors can seize theri proberty as well as anything inside, including employees tools, customer property etc and sell those to recoup their money.
Fu(k that. I'd be breaking in to get my stuff if I wasn't cynical enough to see it coming. Anybody tells me to leave without taking my own stuff with me better be a lot bigger than me. This is an outrage. I condone breaking and entering uder these circumstances. Hell, I'd be willing to help.

kilpicki
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by kilpicki »

Sad news for sure. My guess is that 50% or more will leave the industry as they can't or won't move, some will get jobs doing the same type of work elsewhere (where Im not sure) and a small percentage will go to general aviation or the 3rd tier people.

But some of the people who have been in this large shop OH enviroment jusy don't cut it in the private sector where the type of work is completly different. Some can make the change but after 20 yrs in a union shop going to the Wells or Yellowknife is too much of a change in the work enviorment and they too will leave.
Thus the large turnout of the schools. What a racket.

RB211
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by RB211 »

I don't suppose Raitt and Harper will step in here to ensure these workers have thier tools so that they may continue to be positive contributors to this economic recovery?

The likelihood is there wil be plenty of opportunity for them. Unfortunately many of those positions will be overseas which may not be a viable option.

The aviation industry in Canada is, overall, sh*#ty. Glad I left it.

Best wishes to those concerned.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

KISS_MY_TCAS wrote:The fact that Air Canada owes them over 80 million has little to do with government involvement, they haven't bailed them out again.
The slow motion destruction of Air Canada and its various components that have been sold off for profit is very much a result of corporate greed and government incompetence. Without even getting into the larger issue of a disappearing middle class and the economic activity it stimulates, loss of jobs and their migration out of the country is a critical social issue that is directly the government's responsibility.

Last edited by Rockie on Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
CID
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CID »

There's a very good reason to restrict access to the facility in these cases. For one, workers have been known to walk off with more than their own stuff in these cases and even damage a few things on the way out. Aveos will likely execute a very controlled retrieval of personal items in the next few days.

Secondly, this may just well be a temporary measure. They may just recall everyone in a couple of days. Who knows.

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Colonel Sanders »

Aveos will likely execute a very controlled retrieval of personal items in the next few days
I sure hope so. When a large multi-national, multi-billion-dollar company - which distinctly did not declare bankruptcy at the time, although they are certainly now on their way - no longer desired my services as am employee, they kept my personal items that I had on company property. After many months of wrangling I finally got my books, but they kept everything else - tools, electronic equipment, etc.

I sure hope it works out better than that for these guys.

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

someone please help me understand this...Why can'y you take YOUR personal tools off the job site? and how could you not get them back? those tools do not belong to the company, their yours, and as such no creditor should have access to them.
If I were the employees I'd be taking them with me, company rules be damned.

Cap'n Tripps
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cap'n Tripps »

If someone has or keeps something that doesn't belong to them, isn't that theft? Call the cops!

Mig29
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Mig29 »

Sleazy bastards!!
They spun off this MTC department 4 years ago, made cash for their execs and then they just close the doors on the weekend on these people!!! I thought these workers performing maintenance checks were ALSO essential service, so how come the Minister allowed them to be essentially FIRED?!??

Can someone remind me please where do I exactly leave in????

slowstream
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by slowstream »

Mig29 wrote:Sleazy bastards!!
so how come the Minister allowed them to be essentially FIRED?!??

First off, terrible news and I am so sorry to hear that news yesterday and my thoughts and hopes are with all those effected!

Good luck guys!

Mig29,

Excellant point! Where was Rait and the government putting a stop to this, it could hurt the economy, it could hurt the traveling public and its an essential service?

Please chime in Rait, I am holding my breath (please hurry) waiting for a reply.

ruddersup?
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ruddersup? »

CID, you've got it correct. You have to close the doors with no access until an orderly retrieval of tools and personal gear can be organized. Probably with small groups. I had a friend who worked on the Arrow project and when A.V.Roe shut down it was bedlam. The employees got their stuff and everything else that was not nailed down.
Sure is easy to jump all over the company. It's time to get rid of Unions IMHO.

Return to “General Comments”