Legendary pilot dies

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

swordfish
Rank 7
Rank 7

Legendary pilot dies

Post by swordfish »

I heard today that Bruce Cornock has passed away after a battle with cancer, in Borden Manitoba. Bruce is kind of a "household name" in Northern aviation, was very experienced and well-liked. May he rest in peace.

No doubt there are hundreds of stories about him, and from those who flew with him....
---------- ADS -----------

just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Legendary pilot dies

Post by just curious »

I had the pleasure of flying with him for one full day a few years ago, it was to be a line indoc Transition PPC kind of day, during which the candidate is nervous, and the other guy is frustrated and tired.

It was instead, a fun, and relaxing day. He knew all the clients, the aircraft, the area... it was just another day in the North, in a different coloured Twin Otter. Got him to the crew house, where he got stuck into the preparation of the Christmas dinner like he was a full time chef.

Many people travel north, fly for a bit, and leave, never completely comfortable. Bruce was a master of all he surveyed up north. There aren't really enough of them.

Sorry to see him go.

JC

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

That's too bad, Bruce was a real nice guy. RIP.

MacStork
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MacStork »

I was saddened to hear about Bruce's passing. He was a very knowledgeable, capable and experienced Northern pilot. Those who flew with him were fortunate pilots who gained a wealth of experience from him. Blue skies, fair winds and happy landings Bruce.

TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TFTMB heavy »

Thanks for everything you thought me and for making me laugh.

RIP Bruce

godsrcrazy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by godsrcrazy »

Very sad to hear this. That Voice was unmistakable.

Valhalla
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Valhalla »

Very sad to hear about Bruce passing away. I had the pleasure of flying with him for a couple of years up north on the Twin Otter when I was just starting out.

Bruce, I hope they didn't take away your cowboy boots when you got to the pearly gates! Thank you for the valuable lessons you taught me, and the laughs we shared...

RIP my friend.

Liquid Charlie
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Liquid Charlie »

What can I say -- worked hard - lived hard and was always full speed ahead -- from airplanes to semi's - unique and a lovable rascal - giver shit brother -- happy trails

imarai
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by imarai »

Borden, Manitoba doesn't exist. Edward "Bruce" Cornock, passed away peacefully on Saturday, April 14th in Brandon, Manitoba. Graveside service will be held on Friday, April 20th at 2:00 pm, at the Baldur Cemetery. May he rest in peace.

On checking the obits, I came across another Bruce Cornock, a much older man with no aviation connection, who passed away on March 20th, in Beaverlodge, Alberta.

railroad
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by railroad »

Standard operating procedure for Bruce after take off.

right seat: "400 feet"
Bruce:"You got the coffee?"

Not much would matter, as long as you had the coffee. His stories will last a long time.

kcornock
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kcornock »

Hi everyone,

Sadly, Bruce, my dad did pass away on Saturday night. He missed the North and flying with all you amazing people. When asked what he wanted on his headstone, Dad replied "I loved you all" and he meant all of you too. Us kids loved hearing all Dad's stories and we'd love to hear yours too. We know all Dad's colourful terms, so don't worry about censoring anything, he'd be happy to know so many people were enjoying a big "bullshit session" in his honour :)

Here is Dad's full obituary, there are family members (including me) who would attend a memorial in Yellowknife. If any plans are in the works, please let us know.

EDWARD “BRUCE” CORNOCK Peacefully on Saturday, April 14, 2012 after a short and valiant battle with cancer, Bruce passed away at the age of 66 with family at his side. Bruce is survived by wife Shireen; mother Alice, father Elton (Rose), children Evan (Lynn), Kristin (Jerret), Brennen (Jennifer), Grant & Jacqueline; step-children Patrick (Karen), Leanne (Doug), Steven, Mona-Lynn (Duane), grandchildren Jessie, Nicolas, Dustin, Kayle, Aiden, Rhiannon, Gregory, Benjamin, Sara, Tristen & Macy; great grand-daughter Tatum, siblings Dianne (Len), Neil (Gail) and James; nieces and nephews Jason (Lori), Erin (Rob), Joel, Meghan (Duane), Becki (Mike), Brett “Skinny” (Kelly), Dirk and cousins. Predeceased by brothers Grant and Brian (& Cecilia) and nephew Kyle. Born September 26, 1945 and raised in Greenway, MB, Bruce was a free-spirited, rugged, fun & loving man and accomplished & respected pilot. He travelled the world, but spent much of his life in the North and southwestern Manitoba. Bruce made friends wherever he went & wished he could have had more time with all of us. A graveside service will be held Friday, April 20, 2012 at 2:00 pm at Baldur Cemetery. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made in Bruce’s memory to the Glenboro Hospital Palliative Care Unit or the Western Manitoba Housing Project, 150 McTavish Av E, Brandon, MB.

Take care, we're thinking of you, and know you're thinking of us too :)

Kristin Cornock
Kcornock@hotmail.com

SilvrSurfr
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by SilvrSurfr »

Kristin,

I had the pleasure of meeting your dad in and north of Yellowknife during the mid to late 90's. He used to always call up on 126.7, and would predictable ask is his unmistakable voice "you guys got time for .75?" We would inevitably stwitch frequencies and shoot the breeze for a while while criss crossing the artic. I can still clearly hear his unmistakable voice. I will miss our chays an cherish the memories. My thoughts are with you an d your family.

Surfer

kcornock
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kcornock »

Hello friends of Bruce Cornock,

We will be holding a celebration of life for Bruce Cornock in Yellowknife on Saturday, June 23, 2012. Details to follow soon.

We understand that this time of year is not ideal for pilots to be available... we apologize, but unfortunately this is the best the family could manage based on our circumstances. Bruce's two youngest children, Grant and Jacqueline, have lived in Yellowknife all their lives and they were unable to attend Dad's memorial service in Manitoba. Those of us travelling from Alberta and Manitoba can't wait to see them and we hope to see you on June 23.

I'll post more when details are available. Please feel free to contact me at the email below if you have any thoughts/ideas or questions.

Take care,

Kristin Cornock
kcornock@hotmail.com

Cough Syrup
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Cough Syrup »

I'm sorry for your loss.

Unfortunately I only met him once briefly but heard him on the radio a lot. I knew people that had flown with him...a true "master of all he surveyed up north".

Bruce and Arnie gone, brutal...what an immense loss for the north.

ODA
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ODA »

Thanks for the info. I will never forget the story of a camp being set up and a blizzard hit. The camp was running out diesal so Bruce went to take a look. After a couple passes overhead he looked at the other guy he was flying with in his legendary voice and said "let's have a smoke and a coffee then we'll do this!!!"

RIP Bruce

pilotidentity
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pilotidentity »

Kristin,

A funny story about your Dad. I was a young pilot in Yellowknife in the 90's and I was helping change an oil pan one cold morning in GTAA - Aero Arctic's Cessna 185 - in what was the North Wright hanger (beside Ptarmigan and across from Echo Bay). We were working away and your dad was in the hanger trying to start his (or someones) snowmobile. He kept pulling on it and cursing it as it wouldn't start. I was working with Frank O'Connor - who also sadly died of cancer - and as we worked your dad kept at it, pulling, pulling...no joy. He gave it a bit of a break, and the sounds in the hanger returned to the rather silent clanging of wrenches with the odd cursing from Frank. After a few minutes past the quiet in the hanger was interrupted by a ROAR! The snowmobile had come to life on the first pull and somehow the throttle stuck at wide open! The machine roared across the hanger and smashed into the tail of a small aircraft that a Transport Canada dude had been restoring over the last year. Your dad ran over and turned of the machine which was still running at full throttle. The sound was deafening followed by silence. Without missing a beat and without looking up Frank said in a loud but calm voice "Can you F....n keep it down, we are trying to work here!" Crazy old timers I thought..... Just another day in Yellowknife.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

There must have been a pilot shortage in the next life. They have some good men there now. Until I get there I'll be keeping the cockpit clean and the tundra dirty for you, Bruce. :(

kcornock
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kcornock »

Bruce Cornock's Celebration of Life - 1:00 PM Saturday, June 23, 2012

Please join our family as we celebrate the life of Bruce Cornock who passed away on Saturday, April 14, 2012. We will gather at 1:00 PM at the Bush Pilot's Monument for words of remembrance, then proceed to the Yellowknife Inn (Copper Room) to share friendship and refreshments. Born September 26, 1945 and raised in Greenway, Manitoba, Bruce was a free-spirited, rugged, fun and loving man, and accomplished and respected pilot. He travelled the world, but spent much of his life in The North and southwestern Manitoba. Family in Yellowknife, including Bruce's two youngest children Grant and Jacqueline Hunt-Cornock; grand-daughter Jessie Pandev (Kaeghan) and great grand-daughter Tatum, were unable to attend his memorial in Manitoba. Family is travelling from Manitoba and Alberta to support them and share in celebrating Bruce's life. We’ll have the coffee, your stories are welcomed, cowboy boots are optional!

*As published in the Yellowknifer on June 20 and 22.

Thanks everyone for your comments to date!

Take care,
Kristin Cornock
kcornock@hotmail.com

parallel60
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by parallel60 »

Anybody remember the name of that video Bruce was in years ago... "Bush Pilots of Canada" or something along those lines....been trying to track it down.

Thanks

Moose47
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Moose47 »

G'day parallel60

I believe it was the 1990's British documentary "By the Seat of Their Pants".

Cheers...Chris

Return to “General Comments”