IATRA validity

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

SMELS
Rank 1
Rank 1

IATRA validity

Post by SMELS »

Once completed the exam is valid to the last day of 24th month after the month of completion of the exam, right?

Then what is required to keep the exam current if you are not applying for a new licence or rating?

PPC on an aircraft under 12,500 lbs, or does it have to be over 12,500? Does it have to be an aircraft that requires two crew?

thanks
---------- ADS -----------

Krimson
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: IATRA validity

Post by Krimson »

I believe the IATRA will expire after the 2 years unless:

a) ATPL sign off
b) SAMRON/SARON written (resets 2 years to this exam date)
c) re-write IATRA (fresh 2 years)

angry inch
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by angry inch »

You need a Type Rating on an a/c certified minimum 2 crew before the 24 months is up. You will eventually need to write the ATPL's to be captain though...
Here is a link to the TC list of Types. http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/r ... 2-1393.htm

Spinwmts
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Spinwmts »

Recently there was a BE1900 FO position with Transwest posted.
https://www.pilotcareercentre.com/Pilot ... nswest-Air
One of the requirements is the IATRA. However, the list above doesn't include that type. So will the test expire if flying a BE1900 in 2 crew ops?
Recently passed my CPL exam and considering studying for the IATRA right away while I'm time building. But unless I'm missing something it appears it will still expire after two years even if your a FO of BE1900. Again unless I'm missing something which I'm sure I am as my primary focus ATM is on passing my checkride :)

FL007
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL007 »

Get it as late as you can, it's not a hard test if you study for a couple of hours. I believe 1900 is 2 crew type rating now.

Before you apply anywhere just do it, will open doors regardless of what you do when you're done.

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

FL007 wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:16 pmI believe 1900 is 2 crew type rating now.
The 1900 isn't 2-crew unless it's on the TC list. It's a high-performance type rating but not 2-crew, which has caught a few pilots I know; they apply for their ATPL, and discover that their SAMRA and SARON have been expired for a year, and then exclaim "But I have a type rating!" The 1900 requires two pilots for 704 IFR operations, but you could buy one and fly it privately by yourself all you want.

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

Only a two crew aircraft will keep the exam valid indefinitely, same goes for the ATP Exams (and you have to use those exams for the validity to get the type signed off). Weight has nothing to do with it nor does the way your company operates the aircraft.

If you use the ATP Exams to get a type on a Dash, Boeing, Learjet, etc, then you're good and the exams never need to be re-written.

Lot of guys think their King Air type rating is good then have a bit of a scare when then go and apply for their ATP two or three years later!

FL007
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL007 »

Diadem wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:54 pm
The 1900 isn't 2-crew unless it's on the TC list. It's a high-performance type rating but not 2-crew, which has caught a few pilots I know; they apply for their ATPL, and discover that their SAMRA and SARON have been expired for a year, and then exclaim "But I have a type rating!" The 1900 requires two pilots for 704 IFR operations, but you could buy one and fly it privately by yourself all you want.
Ah my mistake!

Spinwmts
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Spinwmts »

FL007 wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:16 pm Get it as late as you can, it's not a hard test if you study for a couple of hours. I believe 1900 is 2 crew type rating now.

Before you apply anywhere just do it, will open doors regardless of what you do when you're done.
Thanks for the advice, guess I'll wait to take it. still got the INRAT which i hear is pretty tough.

Spinwmts
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Spinwmts »

Just curious...I was told by my examiner for my PPL that as far as check rides go if you fail one your okay but fail two and it gonna start to get harder to find a job. Does the same thing apply for the written tests? If I sit down for the IATRA get a 69% but pass the 2nd time, would a future employer look at that as a red flag?

Loner
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Loner »

Spinwmts wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:07 am Just curious...I was told by my examiner for my PPL that as far as check rides go if you fail one your okay but fail two and it gonna start to get harder to find a job. Does the same thing apply for the written tests? If I sit down for the IATRA get a 69% but pass the 2nd time, would a future employer look at that as a red flag?
They don't have access to your TC file. Only you.. through GALRO.. has access.
TC can not give that information to third party under privacy act

Spinwmts
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Spinwmts »

really? I thought maybe they would request that information during the interview process.

Loner
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Loner »

Spinwmts wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:19 am really? I thought maybe they would request that information during the interview process.
it's up to YOU to volunteer any information you wish to.

MrTurbine
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MrTurbine »

FL007 wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:06 am
Diadem wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:54 pm
Ah my mistake!
Soooo, not to be nit picky, but I do believe that the B1900 - C is a two crew machine and -D is certified single pilot, with specific company certification for two crew ifr ops from transport.

MrTurbine
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MrTurbine »

Spinwmts wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:19 am really? I thought maybe they would request that information during the interview process.
They don’t ask you to prove anything, and don’t care what percentage you got when you passed your exams. As long as you have all your required licenses and ratings, if you are the right individual with the right attitude and good references, you’re good to go.

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

MrTurbine wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:29 am Soooo, not to be nit picky, but I do believe that the B1900 - C is a two crew machine and -D is certified single pilot, with specific company certification for two crew ifr ops from transport.
That used to be the case, but it changed probably five years ago. You can check the list yourself.

MrTurbine
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MrTurbine »

Diadem wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:24 am
MrTurbine wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:29 am Soooo, not to be nit picky, but I do believe that the B1900 - C is a two crew machine and -D is certified single pilot, with specific company certification for two crew ifr ops from transport.
That used to be the case, but it changed probably five years ago. You can check the list yourself.
I guess I stand corrected! I always get confused between the FAA and TC rules anyway. Gone are the days when we flew cargo on the 1900 - C down in the states single pilot.

455tt
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 455tt »

FL007 wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:16 pm Get it as late as you can, it's not a hard test if you study for a couple of hours. I believe 1900 is 2 crew type rating now.

Get it as SOON as you can, regardless. Why wait? It is not a difficult test and will improve your job prospects greatly.

You only need 125 hours to sit the IATRA. And you can use it to meet the 2-crew type rating requirement beyond 24 months (time limit is suspended for a TR based on the IATRA just like with the SARON and SAMRA). Then when you reach 750 hours, as you probably will in 24 months, you should sit the ATPL's.

Go go go, don't sit back. Write any written exam you are qualified to write the moment you have the minimum times, get it onto your resume. Heck I'd even recommend to a PPL just working on their CPL to sit the IATRA when they have the 125 hours.

FL007
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL007 »

455tt wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:08 pm

Get it as SOON as you can, regardless. Why wait? It is not a difficult test and will improve your job prospects greatly.

You only need 125 hours to sit the IATRA. And you can use it to meet the 2-crew type rating requirement beyond 24 months (time limit is suspended for a TR based on the IATRA just like with the SARON and SAMRA). Then when you reach 750 hours, as you probably will in 24 months, you should sit the ATPL's.

Go go go, don't sit back. Write any written exam you are qualified to write the moment you have the minimum times, get it onto your resume. Heck I'd even recommend to a PPL just working on their CPL to sit the IATRA when they have the 125 hours.
Why would you write a test at 125hrs that you can't even use until 250hrs? Most people I knew wrote it, finished flight school with 210 and couldn't get a 2 crew type rating until a year plus into their first job, and of course had to rewrite.

If you have 220+ hrs and are planning on applying to jobs within a couple of months go write the iatra, but please don't waste your money at 125hrs.

455tt
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 455tt »

Cost to sit the IATRA: $35.00.

Waste of money? For purposes of career advancement, I can't think of money better spent on any aviation qualification than the IATRA. Enormous "bang for the buck". So get on to it as soon as you can, in my view.

Return to “General Comments”