When an airplane doesn't sell?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

N2
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

When an airplane doesn't sell?

Post by N2 »

What would you do with an aircraft that you are stuck with besides saying fly it?
---------- ADS -----------

burhead1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: When an airplane doesn't sell?

Post by burhead1 »

What ya stuck with?

cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cgzro »

Find a deserving young PPL/CPL and offer them break even block hours.
Its gotta fly or it becomes worthless quickly.
That young ppl can clean polish and disassemble help with annuals etc.

Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Lost Lake »

Give it to me. I will ensure it's legacy continues, and you will be happy knowing a pilot is caring for it and making sure it flies regularily.

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

Have you considered that maybe . . . perhaps just maybe . . . you are asking too much for it? Or perhaps you are not advertising it properly?

Have you thought of lowering the price? A lot of aircraft in Canada are overpriced compared to the US.

Taiser
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Taiser »

Panama Jack wrote:Have you considered that maybe . . . perhaps just maybe . . . you are asking too much for it? Or perhaps you are not advertising it properly?

Have you thought of lowering the price? A lot of aircraft in Canada are overpriced compared to the US.

+1

That's why I had to buy my engine in the states...WAYYYYY insane prices here with ZERO willingness to deal! :smt014

Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

Panama Jack wrote:Have you considered that maybe . . . perhaps just maybe . . . you are asking too much for it? Or perhaps you are not advertising it properly?

There's also a lot of aircraft out there that are in pretty low demand as well, The older high performance Cessnas for instance and a lot of the tube and fabric 2 seaters. The former because there's a host of newer things that compete in their market, the latter mostly because people aren't small anymore, or aren't bothering with aeroplanes for this niche but going the ultralight and home built route. I hate to say it but people just aren't going to get their money back out of these birds, but you see a lot still priced like it was still the market of 10-15 years ago.

As others have said, the US market has become much more appealing as of late to warrant the trouble of importing as well.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

The differences in condition and equipment is absolutely hilarious as well.
You'll see a clapped out, outdated junker here with dual adf's for twice the price of a cleaner 430 equipped machine down south.
It's the market though. There are ten times the number of planes that people aren't buying in the States.
I am under the impression that ownership is much less expensive south of the border as well. When I was sourcing an aircraft a little while back I spoke to several Yanks that said they shudder when they think of trying to own/operate an AC here.

akoch
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by akoch »

Over a year ago I bought my airplane from the states. It ended up being over 40% less than the comparable planes offered in Canada.

Today the gap has decreased a bit I think. But still substantial.

MikeGolfEcho
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MikeGolfEcho »

:bear:

I approached someone recently and asked why they were asking a comparitively high price for their machine. They replied, "because that's what it's worth!"

I asked how long it had been for sale and when they told me nearly a year I felt obliged to relay a lesson I learned years ago (not meaning too sound patronising). I said well; it's 'worth' what someone will pay you for it. If you can't get for it what you ask either ask less, or keep it!

I'm looking for a plane now, and some people still insist on holding out for getting however much they've ploughed into it over their ownership. Sadly for them, I don't think many people get back what they've put in... just an observation :bear:

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

How long has it been for sale? It can easily take 6-12 months to sell a plane in Canada even if it is priced well. Make sure you've scanned in the recent logs so you can email them to anyone interested. Make sure you've advertised in COPA, avcanada, barnstormers, etc. Pay for a photo (unless your plane looks like a piece of crap :)

If you're getting inquiries then the price is probably not too ridiculous, but you should still be prepared to haggle. Basically the price is what someone is prepared to pay for it.

Maybe offer to rent your plane out. Lots of people (like me) are fed up with the expense and hassle of renting from an FBO and looking to rent a plane privately or from a flying club, and it can be difficult to find one. Just make sure you're properly insured.

EA757
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by EA757 »

N2,

Probably the single biggest reason you may be in this
situation is simply that middle class Canada is
shrinking... It has been shrinking in the US since 2005.

In Ontario, where you see that McGuinty is telling doctors,
and teachers, that they are going to have to work for less,
that is a serious sign. Today, the city of Toronto gave the police
a stern talking too. The city wants a 10 percent reduction on
the nearly $900 million budget...

These types are solid middle class, and you can rest assured that
they aren't too likely to be making big ticket purchases like
airplanes at this time, even though interests rates are at
historic lows.

Nevertheless you still have an aircraft to move.

Make sure it is as clean as possible, sits in the best place with
the greatest visibility with the largest attractive for sale sign..

Talk to everyone about it. Fly to other airports on beautiful days
and make sure you take your for sale sign with you. Make sure
you carry some GOOD quality pics of it that you can leave at the
lawyers office or dentist.

Selling an aircraft can be a huge challenge and a lot of fun.

Good luck...

MikeGolfEcho
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MikeGolfEcho »

CpnCrunch wrote:How long has it been for sale? It can easily take 6-12 months to sell a plane in Canada even if it is priced well. Make sure you've scanned in the recent logs so you can email them to anyone interested. Make sure you've advertised in COPA, avcanada, barnstormers, etc. Pay for a photo (unless your plane looks like a piece of crap :)

If you're getting inquiries then the price is probably not too ridiculous, but you should still be prepared to haggle. Basically the price is what someone is prepared to pay for it.

Maybe offer to rent your plane out. Lots of people (like me) are fed up with the expense and hassle of renting from an FBO and looking to rent a plane privately or from a flying club, and it can be difficult to find one. Just make sure you're properly insured.
So yeah, like I already said:

"I said well; it's 'worth' what someone will pay you for it"
:rolleyes:

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

As so many people have eluded, any airplane can be sold-- even the tube and fabric birds IF the price is right . . . and perhaps especially these birds because people are looking for more-economical flying opportunities and in tough times they are willing to trade downwards if they can't kick their flying habit entirely. This is one reason why ultralights are becoming interesting to people.

Demand and cost correlate, but they definately do meet somewhere on the vertical scale. If the demand is low it can still be met if the price drops. An economic recession will drive down prices on the same aircraft because the demand has decreased also.

Bad news for Canadian owners who a) bought their US airplane and calculated what it cost them in Canadian dollars back in the 80's or 90's when the CAD was low, and don't want to sell at a loss, and b) are trying to sell in a recession when financing is also more difficult and the costs of fuel and ownership have been rising.

Rookie50
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rookie50 »

Exactly. I have looked around at aircraft here and the prices are pure fantasy, like our dollar was still 60 cents US. People think they have the only nice aircraft in north America, and wonder why it sits.

sheephunter
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sheephunter »

My suggestion is to be on barnstormers or tradeaplane and find every airplane like yours and study their pricing and from there price yours competetively, apples to apples. If you cannot be competetive, then you will have a tough time moving it. Now, this is where it gets tough and you ask what to do if it sits? I guess that depends on why you are selling? If you need to sell because if you don't you are going to loose your house, then you have some hard facts to swallow in that you may have to take a loss, maybe a fairly substancial loss to get it sold. Hopefully you have had it long enough that you have it paid down somewhat and at the least can get out and pay it off with the loss being your deposit and what you've put in it and not realize any further loss in having to dig into your pocket to add to the sale price to pay off the loan. Needing to sell is bad, wanting to sell is different but I don't know if we will ever see the point that we can buy and sell a couple years later and not have to pay something for those years or hours. Previously, you could buy, use and sell for more than you paid. If you are lucky you will find the right person that is looking for "your" aircraft in your condition in your location and is willing to pay a fair price for both him & you, but from what I feel there are not many out there "buying", they are all circling and waiting to steal and that my friend is human nature that I have found myself guilty.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Controller.com is the best site as far as I'm concerned.

N2
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by N2 »

The only reason I want to sell it is because I don't have time to fly it anymore.

akoch
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by akoch »

I'm on a market for a DA40, though somewhat reluctantly. You are not selling one of these by any chance?

sheephunter
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sheephunter »

Dan you could be right. I'm sorry I didn't mention that one as well but in my mind, anyone that is seriously looking hits all three and I guess their personal preference dictates the order. The "Canadian Plane Trade" is the first thing I read out of COPA... out of curiousity. But it is definitely looked at monthly for 3-4 days until I've seen every little ad. My ad in Barnstormers has had 11,400 hits in 3 or 4 days. I don't think that is too bad for "tough times".

Return to “General Comments”