Air Force Pilots?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

M4A1
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by M4A1 »

Ahh, I understand now, thanks. Sounds pretty good.

Whats the typical day in the Air Force? Ive read that some people only fly a few hours a month (one person from the Air Force website had something like 13 years in and 1200 hours), and others fly often. What exactly do you do all the time?

And what is that Sea Survival course? Sounds scary, lol.

Also, about French. Did you have to go through that 7 month French program?
---------- ADS -----------

classiv
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by classiv »

I've always wanted to know how many hours on average an F-18 driver has when he solos the F-18 for the first time...

It's he a 200 hour wonder?

TheCheez
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by TheCheez »

Sea Survival scary? Maybe if you did it in February. I think your biggest hazard in that is a sunburn.

French you will have to do, takes 33 weeks if you don't already know it.

I can only really speak about the Hornets since thats the only place I've been posted but in any given day the guys will do 1 flight (1.5 Hours) and a great deal of mission planning and follow up. Pretty much every flight the pilots are learning something or teaching it(this takes time). Someone also works the Ops desk anytime a plane is airborne and for every excercise and deployment, at least one person is responsible for planning. Also the "Quick Reaction Aircraft" need to be manned at all times. These are the guys that were recently on CNN for intercepting the Virgin flight. Also, even though there's lots to do, you will still get 5 weeks vacation each year and unless you're in the QRA you'll have weekends and generally, evenings off.

The military is not a place to build hours. People get that mindset from the civie world but it's not right. In the civie world they don't let you fly high performance turbines with 29 hours of experience. F-18 with 200 hours. You will however get a good quality of life, good pay, and intense flying.

M4A1
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by M4A1 »

TheCheez wrote:French you will have to do, takes 33 weeks if you don't already know it.
So you need to be fluent, or just pass the 33 week course? I only have grade 9 French, and I forget it all.

How many people in your group got picked to be on the Hornets, Transport, and helicopters?

CH124 Driver
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CH124 Driver »

under_par_00 wrote:
TheCheez wrote:French you will have to do, takes 33 weeks if you don't already know it.
So you need to be fluent, or just pass the 33 week course? I only have grade 9 French, and I forget it all.

How many people in your group got picked to be on the Hornets, Transport, and helicopters?
There is no pass or fail. Depending on your performance you're given a certain language profile.

To be fluent in a second language takes a hell of a lot longer than 33 weeks.

As for a typical day, there isn't one. If you're flying you're prepping for the mission, doing weather briefings, mission briefings, etc.

If you're not flying, then you're studying (yes it's true, that never stops) for your next upgrade or requirement or just reviewing AOIs (Aircraft operating instructions). There's time to go to the gym and whatever else may pop up like weapons training (once a year for C7 and pistol), there's NBCD training, egress, etc. Also as Cheez mentioned, you'll usually get tasked with a secondary duty like working the ops desk or scheduling.

We don't usually refer to people as 200hr wonders in the military, you're winged and you're expected to be quite proficient at flying. If you're not, you won't make it through since there's limited extra time avail. It's quite different from civvie flying in that respect. Imagine if you had 45hrs to get a PPL with up to 4 hours of extra time avail. So at a max of 49 hours, if you can't pass the flight test, you will never be able to get a PPL ever again. That's Moose Jaw. If you run out of time, you're fooked.

scotothedoublet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by scotothedoublet »

Apart from the education and medical requirements I think the time factor keeps alot of the civi pilots from wanting to join military. Who wants to invest 3-5 yrs in the Forces waiting for your wings with the outside chance you may fail a course and the strong possibility of not ending up where you want to be (helo/jet etc...). Obviously a good gig if it works out the way you want.

M4A1
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by M4A1 »

Does helo time count for Total Time when applying for a job after you leave the Air Force?

Also, how many people get onto the fixed wing planes (aside from the Hornet)?

CH124 Driver
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CH124 Driver »

under_par_00 wrote:Does helo time count for Total Time when applying for a job after you leave the Air Force?

Also, how many people get onto the fixed wing planes (aside from the Hornet)?
Sure does, hours are hours, though there is a differentiation between fixed wing and rotory wing, that's why there's caveats for ATPL's about how many hours must be fixed wing and how many can be helo. Of course you can't get an ATPL for Aeroplanes if you've only ever flew helos. Otherwise you could get an ATPLH.

5 of 16 went Multi on my course.

gryphon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gryphon »

Out of 14 on my Moose Jaw course:
3 jets (2 hornets one harvard)
4 multi (one failed multi school, the rest ended up Hercs)
7 helo (2 Sea King, 3 Griffon, 1 Cormorant, one failed helo school)

Also, had several people from other courses 'join' our course because they got too far behind the schedule, and had one of the original course members fail Moose Jaw.
Primary flying training course saw 2 out of nine fail, 2 more failed later.

mcrit
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by mcrit »

I taught English in Japan for 18 months 9 years ago. Been waiting for my security clearance to come through for 14 months :wallbash: That's why I'm not in the CF.

M4A1
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by M4A1 »

so seems like half the people go helos, and half go fixed wing.

Would you say that everyone flies equal time? The Hornets and the Hurcs, and the helos all get the same hours?

Hey___Pilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

joining the airforce.

Post by Hey___Pilot »

Hello

Last edited by Hey___Pilot on Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M4A1
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by M4A1 »

Thanks for the info. Lots of things to consider before I decide to join or go a different route. I still have many years to decide.

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

Why would you want join an airforce that does not have any A-10's
As for the second language thing how do you say " I surrender "in the other official language.
A friend of mine told me that we now have more persons of the rank of General than we had in WW2 ,how for why ?????

scotothedoublet
Rank 3
Rank 3

2R

The Forces are probably pretty bummed that you're not interested. With your excellent command of the english language you'd probably make quick work of the french course. How for why any company wouldn't want to hire you is beyond me.

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

Hey scoto "Go boil your head ya muppet"
'How for Why' is an English term that you may not be familiar with as it is not used on seseme street.
Another term used more by Scots scoto is "UP YOUR KILT"
As for quick work of anything French my ancestors did make quick work of them,in many battles,we also rescued them in two big wars in the last century.

scotothedoublet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Boy is my face red, or as you might say in the UK, "am I ever ugly." Apologize for my colonial command of your language. How for why did I not know what 'how for why' meant? Oh yeah, it's the 21st century and I live in Canada. Put another shrimp on the barbie...

Your mate,

Scoto

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

Anyone know anything about the Reserve Heli Squadron in Borden??

Thanks

fougapilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by fougapilot »

Anyone here currently in YMJ? If so, could you pls PM me? I have a small favour to ask.

Cheers,

Bandit713

gryphon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gryphon »

What do you want to know about the sqn in Borden?

Return to “General Comments”