Air Force Pilots?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

scotothedoublet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by scotothedoublet »

Boy is my face red, or as you might say in the UK, "am I ever ugly." Apologize for my colonial command of your language. How for why did I not know what 'how for why' meant? Oh yeah, it's the 21st century and I live in Canada. Put another shrimp on the barbie...

Your mate,

Scoto
---------- ADS -----------

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

Anyone know anything about the Reserve Heli Squadron in Borden??

Thanks

fougapilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by fougapilot »

Anyone here currently in YMJ? If so, could you pls PM me? I have a small favour to ask.

Cheers,

Bandit713

gryphon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gryphon »

What do you want to know about the sqn in Borden?

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

Do they train any civilian fixed wing pilots on the heli, or do you need a heli licence?

Thanks,
John

shitdisturber
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by shitdisturber »

gryphon wrote:Out of 14 on my Moose Jaw course:
3 jets (2 hornets one harvard)
4 multi (one failed multi school, the rest ended up Hercs)
7 helo (2 Sea King, 3 Griffon, 1 Cormorant, one failed helo school)
gryph, the Harvard isn't a jet, it's a turbo prop, just thought I'd mention that. If you're talking in terms of the Hawk on the other hand; now that's a jet, sort of. Not quite on the scale of my beloved Hornets, pretty much the only thing about the military I miss; but close enough for government work. :mrgreen:

gryphon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gryphon »

I'm quite aware the Harvard isn't a jet.....especially when you're late on nav.
But, during selection, those who are selected for jets have the potential to stay in MJ to instruct....if they've got what it takes (HA!!!), thus the 'jet' slot.

Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ... »

gryphon wrote: ...if they've got what it takes (HA!!!), thus the 'jet' slot.
As the Forces 'Funny Guy', do you get to pick where you do your stand up comedy?

gryphon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gryphon »

If I could, I'd be right beside you.......just like old times.....hugs.
Have you made up your mind about the little gathering in July?

Herc Driver
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Herc Driver »

Here's my two cents,

I started flying on my own buck, payed for my PPL, did the college thing at Seneca, flew as a Class IV for about 3 months and said enough is enough. I joined the CF, to fly and see the world. I joined in Sept 98, finished Officer training in fall 98, completed french training in spring of 99 and bypassed PFT, started Moose Jaw in Jan 99 and finished fall of 99. I got my wings on the King Air in spring of 2000. I started my Herc OTU in spring of 2001 and upgraded to herc Aircraft Commander in Spring of 2004. In that time I've been all over Europe, the Middle East, Airports big and small in Canada, Hawaii and some of the US. I have 2500 hours total time and just passed 1800 hours on the herc. I've averaged roughly 450 hours a year, and some of that is transit time, but alot is pretty challenging flying on SAR missions and cold scary dark nights in the arctic. I've met alot of good people along the way, worked with some good people, have a few beers along the way and seen some pretty cool places. The pay is good as a 4th incentive Captain I make damn near $ 80000/year, yes the hours are weird and the schedule is always in flux but most days it's not a bad job. It does have it's bad days but any job has that and the times you get to land at 0300 in Alert at the top of Ellsmere Island makes it all worth it. Rember it's all about the people, and what you make of it. Will I get out? maybe, who knows but the CF has given me good options down the road.

M4A1
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by M4A1 »

Herc Driver, thanks, your job sound very fun, you get to travel everywhere and fly alot!

How does it work if you go into the Air Force with flying experience? Do you just not train as much as the others, or do most of them already have a PPL?

Also, if you did not go through flight training, who or what decided what you flew?

And what decides where you are based, are there many bases around Canada, do you choose, or someone else?

Thanks.

TheCheez
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by TheCheez »

When you join it depends how much flying experience you have and where you got it to bypass the primary flight training course.

I have an aviation diploma so I don't go(even if I want to, they flat out wont send me)

Another guy here had 1200 hours instructor and various twins and he went, but was on the advance course which skips a few basics.

Your skill decides what you fly. They give you the chance to ask what you want but unless you're the top of the class nothing's guaranteed. Top 1 or 2 if they're good enough and the seats are available go fighters, and the rest are split multi engine and helo. Helo is generally the middle of the class but they make sure that some of the top guys go to multi engines as well.

Where you are based is also the military who decides ultimately. You can ask, and if you have a compelling reason your chances will improved, but in the end if they need pilots at X base and your name comes up then you're heading out. Theres only a few choices for each type though. Fighters you'll be in Cold Lake or Bagot, Hercs in Winnipeg/Trenton, Maritime Helo Halifax/Victoria etc etc. Obviously you can't go to Victoria if you're a Hornet pilot.

Hope this helps.

gryphon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gryphon »

Don't forget about Greenwood for Hercs as well!!
Also, top one or two generally (but not always) will get their choice...not just jets (insert jet jock bashing from a rotorhead here). Of late, they've been trying to split the courses in thirds and award the slots evenly throughout the thirds....I know plenty of guys flying jets who didn't end up top of the course.

hz2p
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by hz2p »

Hey clunkdriver, I don't want to mention any names, but do you remember a guy who used to fly a CF-100 solo out west? A real character.

Pugster
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Pugster »

A question for you CF guys;

I was chatting with a buddy who is on course in Moose Jaw and he was telling me that he logs Harvard time as "jet" time because the aircraft was designed to mimic jet performance and systems very closely...

Is that BS?

scotothedoublet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by scotothedoublet »

Unless the logbooks in MJ have changed there is no column for "jet time", so if he's logging it as jet time, he's doing so silently in his head...and he's wrong.

gryphon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gryphon »

Scot is right....no distinction in log book between jet and non jet, logged just like civvy time....only add on in my log book is for NVG.

Tiger Lead
Rank 1
Rank 1

Any TBM Drivers From the Budworm

Post by Tiger Lead »

Hello to all the old TBM drivers. Wondering if there is any on the site and would like to get in touch.
Tiger Lead

Return to “General Comments”