YYZ Toronto

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Cadam87
Rank 0
Rank 0

YYZ Toronto

Post by Cadam87 »

Hey, on Friday dec 14 I have a friend flying in from Sweden and she does not have a visa
And can not enter Canada and therefor can't leave the airport during her 5 hour layover. Her flight leaves terminal 1 at YYZ as well as entering there from sweden. Is it possible for me to enter terminal 1 to visit her without a ticket. If not where can we visit with out her leaving the airport and me not entering terminal.
---------- ADS -----------

cj555
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: YYZ Toronto

Post by cj555 »

I've seen canadian border services deny someone entrance to Canada, but grant them what I think was called an "amendment" which allowed him leave the terminal on the condition that he/she return for the departure flight. This was an extreme circumstance (guy flew from Australia to Vancouver to spend 3 weeks with his gf, but was denyed entrance to Canada (and shipped back on the next flight). If they determine your friend isn't a flight risk (ie that she WILL return for the departure flight), and the story makes sense they might let her exit the terminal to come and see you. Keep your cell phone on you because Canadian border services will probably call you directly to confirm her story.

gustind
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by gustind »

She'll be secluded in the secure area of Terminal 1 with other international passengers during her layover.

She can get a visa at the Canadian embassy in Stockholm for a day or something so she can leave the terminal on transit purposes or get it at the immigration desk. I think it is free too if you're in less than 48 hours for "Transit" purposes.

old_man
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by old_man »

I am by no means an expert but according to this government website Swedish citizens do not require a visa to visit Canada.

ogopogo
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ogopogo »

Exactly -- unless she plans to live here and work, why on earth would she need a Visa?

cj555
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cj555 »

Good point old_man...

I just checked online, and I'm pretty sure any EU country doesn't require a visa to visit or transit through Canada (she would only need a visa to work in Canada). Therefore, your friend should have no problem leaving the terminal with her Swedish passport.

Where did you get the information that she cannot enter Canada without a visa?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp

Hawkerflyer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hawkerflyer »

old_man wrote:I am by no means an expert but according to this government website Swedish citizens do not require a visa to visit Canada.
...but you stayed in a Holiday Inn Express!

MIQ
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MIQ »

I have a european passport myself and can guarantee you that no visa is necessary for a stay of up to 6 months. It would be no problem for her to go into the public area of Terminal 1 and meet up with you. Customs line ups for visitors are usually not too bad either.

old_man
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by old_man »

MIQ wrote:I have a european passport myself and can guarantee you that no visa is necessary for a stay of up to 6 months.
That being said I do believe there are still some EU countries that require a visa. The Czech Republic comes to mind.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Cadam87, please give me a call right away. Your friend does need a visa, she can't leave the terminal under any circumstances, but I'll reluctantly bite the bullet and let her buy me dinner in terminal 1 while she waits for her plane. I'll even throw in some dramatic tales about the last time my airplane went "bing" and had orange writing on the screen.

Alternately you could buy a full fare refundable ticket with air canada, check in, then decide not to take your flight and take the refund. Swedish friends are not to be taken lightly.

hst
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by hst »

Swedish nationals definitely do not require a visa to visit Canada as I just brought a Swede across the border 2 weeks ago with no visa and no problem. Are we certain the person in question is Swedish? Flying in from Sweden doesn't automatically make them Swedish. It could also be a parents line to keep their child in (relative) protective custody until they arrive (at the convent) at the final destination. :wink:

icewa
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by icewa »

just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by just curious »

Still, gotta give Ahramin full marks for trying ;)

flyincanuck
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by flyincanuck »

+1

Return to “General Comments”