Urgent passport renewal

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

CellPh2
Rank 1
Rank 1

Urgent passport renewal

Post by CellPh2 »

I am sure some pilots here have had to do a rush passport do to the nature of traveling. For those that have done an urgent/emergency passport renewal (24 hours) are you to pick it up when it's complete or do they mail the urgent ones out too. I would call and ask...but it's Sunday. Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

chipmunk
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Urgent passport renewal

Post by chipmunk »

CellPh2 wrote:I am sure some pilots here have had to do a rush passport do to the nature of traveling. For those that have done an urgent/emergency passport renewal (24 hours) are you to pick it up when it's complete or do they mail the urgent ones out too. I would call and ask...but it's Sunday. Thanks!
I've done a couple of rush renewals in the past and have always gone and picked it up (Ottawa.)

Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Lost Lake »

You can always check with your local MP. They should be good for doing something for their constituents.

Masters Off
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Masters Off »

Lost Lake wrote:You can always check with your local MP. They should be good for doing something for their constituents.
Good God, that's the best joke I've heard in a long time...

Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Lost Lake »

You will not talk to your actual MP, who is too important. Instead you will talk to the person in the know. My MP office has helped me out in the past in this matter. If they can't expedite it, they will at least provide guidance.

I am serious, not a joke!

Hiflyer2
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hiflyer2 »

In the Mississauga office I have had pilots that did not have a blank page left which is needed to get a Russian Visa. We gave them a letter from the company and the went first thing in the morning and picked the new passport up in the early afternoon.

The letter is good but you always have the option to pick it up if you specify it. Make sure you are early and pick a good office to go to. There are certain offices that are busier and hence more difficult to deal with.

esp803

Post by esp803 »

Lost Lake wrote:You will not talk to your actual MP, who is too important.
For the last three passports I've applied for I've talked to my MP directly and it worked fabulously.... the next one probably not, I can't stand the new guy. Beauty of living in the north!

E

boogs82
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by boogs82 »

I went to Mississauga for my daughter's on an urgent because the original application was refused for something stupid. But anyway. Dropped off the application in the morning and picked up the passport by noon. I did an urgent one in Ottawa when I was there because of an unplanned trip to the USA and didn't realise my passport had expired. No issues, picked it up the next morning after dropping off in the afternoon. The other urgent request was when I was in the CF and supposed to go to Lebanon from Montreal for the little conflict they had a few years ago. Off to the passport office with a letter from the CO. Two hours later had the passport in hand.

CellPh2
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CellPh2 »

I'm hoping when I go in, a print of my schedule/proof of employment will suffice instead of trying to get a letter from the company.

flyincanuck
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by flyincanuck »

I've done it many times.

Takes a few hours to obtain your new one.

Fill out the paperwork ahead of time. Cross the "T"s and dot the "I"s.

Obtain a letter from your company stating your position, and that the document is required for work.

If possible provide your next flight date, number, and destination.

Take solace in the servant's disappointment when she realizes she can't turn you away.

flyincanuck
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by flyincanuck »

You will probably need a letter from your company, on company letterhead.

Anything less may not work. They are strict on the rules.

Also ensure your two references are available at any point during the day for a phone interview by an Officer.

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

I got my last one the old fashioned way. In the mail. Only 2 weeks. Not too shabby. Why would you let one expire?

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

I think there is a premium paid, other than that cross/dot. they are an absolute pain in the patoot, had to get a renewal but had lost my passport, they would not allow a provincial judges signature "must be a PASSPORT CANADA EMPLOYEE"

Return to “General Comments”